jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, Soul Bro said:

Good post. I’d add that your best player has to be that kind of a guy. It’s why players like Suggs and Mitchell seem to be so highly regarded. Both seem to be the hardest working guys on their teams who will do anything to generate team success.

Really good point Soul Bro - that may actually be the quintessential common denominator over the last 20+ years of NBA champions. Even on the few title winners where the best player doesn't have the rep as that kind of guy, you had at least one other top player who was a long-time vet (leader) of the team who was. 

Man, I was looking forward to hate watching Space Jam 2. LeBron still ain’t over the 2009 loss to us that stopped him vs Kobe happening in the Finals, apparently.

This was one of my main fears after the bubble. Spending that much time anywhere with the rules they were limited to and being locked up in a hotel could make you hate a place, it definitely hurt us in free agency. It’s also never good to see the face of the NBA saying stuff like this.

1 hour ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Man, I was looking forward to hate watching Space Jam 2. LeBron still ain’t over the 2009 loss to us that stopped him vs Kobe happening in the Finals, apparently.

This was one of my main fears after the bubble. Spending that much time anywhere with the rules they were limited to and being locked up in a hotel could make you hate a place, it definitely hurt us in free agency. It’s also never good to see the face of the NBA saying stuff like this.

lebron is really an idiot.

might be the greatest bball player ever, but as a person, he completely sucks. he ruined the league and he has zero humility. disgraceful

3 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

This is why in my humble opinion as a franchise we would be better off drafting top talent and developing them with the hope they want to stay past their rookie extension 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MagicMoses said:

This is why in my humble opinion as a franchise we would be better off drafting top talent and developing them with the hope they want to stay past their rookie extension 

Exactly. This is the way...

• Upvote 1

I actually think this organisation could be a perfectly good free agent destination. We haven't been because we've had nothing to attract players in the years post Dwight except overpaying average guys. But if we reach a point where we're competitive for 2 or 3 years with a budding young roster and a young star I don't see why a free agent wouldn't at least strongly consider us when you add to that the weather and no state income tax. Orlando isn't LA or NY but it's got positives. And Chicago is an amazing city and a big market with a tonne of history but when was the last time they attracted a top free agent?

I don't see how LeBron saying this now (he's specifically talking about not enjoying the bubble I believe) has any baring on guys who aren't LeBron making decisions 2 or 3+ years from now. 

I also think if Dwight had staked his claim to the city and wasn’t an idiot who bought into media narratives about needing to play in Brooklyn or LA to be relevant, and Otis didn’t panick-move us into cap hell in an attempt to appease him, we/ he probably could’ve recruited at least a borderline star to pair with him way back when. Oh well. 

Brad Stevens gets promoted into a Front Office role, with Ainge stepping down! Wow! Mad how he hung onto draft picks and players expiring for years without trying to acquire a third star next to Tatum and Brown

51 minutes ago, MagicMoses said:

Brad Stevens gets promoted into a Front Office role, with Ainge stepping down! Wow! Mad how he hung onto draft picks and players expiring for years without trying to acquire a third star next to Tatum and Brown

Crazy. Imagine being Mike Zarren and being a candidate for literally every GM job going but staying an assistant in Boston (because it's your home town team) and then when your boss finally steps down they promote someone else over you. Poor guy. 

Do we know if Stevens is giving up the HC role or doing both? (Historically guys who do both fail miserably - except Pop but Pop had RC Buford and well.. he's Pop)

EDIT: Nevermind just seen Stevens will no longer be HC and they're starting a search for a new one. 

1 hour ago, MagicMoses said:

It was all over once they acquired Kemba. His contract has 2 more years remaining and the Celtics do not want to pay what would be a franchise record luxury tax next year. With Kemba's contract they simply couldn't compete with other teams offers. Expect the Celtics to try to move him but probably won't be able to till it's an expiring.