jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

On the topic of PGs I think Ryan Arcidiacano would be a fun guy to target if the Bulls don't pick up his team option. He's a steady player, can shoot it, plays with heart and hustle and won a championship in college. Plus he'd be cheap and he wouldn't require a ton of minutes when everyone is healthy. 

Usually I don't really think about guys who have team options because if they're good enough to consider then they're team option will definitely get picked up but the Bulls already have 3 guards under contract next season, they're rumoured to be targeting Lonzo Ball too plus they're under quite a lot of pressure to get better so they might value the $3M in cap room more than a guy who play 10mpg last season. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

20 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

On the topic of PGs I think Ryan Arcidiacano would be a fun guy to target if the Bulls don't pick up his team option. He's a steady player, can shoot it, plays with heart and hustle and won a championship in college. Plus he'd be cheap and he wouldn't require a ton of minutes when everyone is healthy. 

Usually I don't really think about guys who have team options because if they're good enough to consider then they're team option will definitely get picked up but the Bulls already have 3 guards under contract next season, they're rumoured to be targeting Lonzo Ball too plus they're under quite a lot of pressure to get better so they might value the $3M in cap room more than a guy who play 10mpg last season. 

Not that I object to down votes really but I posted this for discussion purposes so if you disagree I'd love to hear why. 

Ryan Arc. is a great shooter and would love to have any great shooter with an acceptable athletic ability, I think he qualifies. 

This team is desperate for good outside shooting! And imo  TRoss does not qualify. Too selfish and takes horrible shots. Only real thing he is good at is flopping at 3 point line. 

I'm ready to move on from Ross, too. Moreover, Cliff better have much greater accountability moving forward, as our team has got to improve on the offensive end.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Ryan Arc. is a great shooter and would love to have any great shooter with an acceptable athletic ability, I think he qualifies. 

This team is desperate for good outside shooting! And imo  TRoss does not qualify. Too selfish and takes horrible shots. Only real thing he is good at is flopping at 3 point line. 

I think TRoss does qualify, but he has to be used correctly. When we have someone else cutting and passing to him, or when we had another consistent outside threat (DJ), Ross was better; but with the offensive shortcomings and injuries, he has had to do too much on his own, and has gotten into bad habits. He earned the "Human Torch" nickname to begin with, but just like any flame, it needs oxygen (space) to work and breath. 

33 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

I'm ready to move on from Ross, too. Moreover, Cliff better have much greater accountability moving forward, as our team has got to improve on the offensive end.

I think you are 100% correct about our need to improve on the offensive end. I can't put all of that on Ross and Clifford because of the injuries and trades this year. I expect a big difference next year and I think if we don't see it, then one or both will be gone. Imagine how much space Ross would have playing with Cole and one of Giddy/F Wagner/Green beside him. 

23 minutes ago, Natesroom said:

what type of way could we move on from ross? Would we be able to trade him straight up or would we have to package him?

I think Ross has more value around the league than Fournier, but less than Vucevic. I think he would probably be worth a package similar to what we got for Gordon. Especially because he will make $12.5M next season and $11.5M the following. That is a great contract for any team. I hope we don't trade him, I think he is a valuable vet to keep, if he is used correctly. 

Using Ross correctly has been required since we got him but that has not happened. Hoping we use him the right way is a useless endeavor. 

He has had the green light at all times and he doesn’t care if there are three people on him, he’s jacking it. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Using Ross correctly has been required since we got him but that has not happened. Hoping we use him the right way is a useless endeavor. 

He has had the green light at all times and he doesn’t care if there are three people on him, he’s jacking it. 

Definitely been a problem.  If we’re going to get the young guys to play team basketball, you can’t have a veteran playing like that and getting tons of minutes.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

I'd say Ross was used well in each of Cliffs first two years here. The first year in particular he was great. This year he did more on ball stuff out of necessity since our bench was so thin and had basically no scoring besides him and the results weren't great. If we keep him hopefully he goes back to his role as an off ball threat and movement shooter. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JJZFL said:

Definitely been a problem.  If we’re going to get the young guys to play team basketball, you can’t have a veteran playing like that and getting tons of minutes.  

And this is why I didn’t block JJZFL. Same goes for Bacon I’d add

I don’t think there’s much “if” when it comes to Dwayne Bacon. He had a chance to show if he was worth a role playing roster spot on an NBA team once and for all, was among the league leaders in minutes and was one of the worst players in the league per advanced stats. I doubt he’s in the league next year.

11 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

I agree, using him correctly is required. I don't agree that hope is useless. Him having the green light was primarily due to the offensive deficiencies of the rest of the bench. 

8 hours ago, JJZFL said:

Again, I agree, Clifford is definitely going to have to rein Ross in, and work more within the team concept on the offensive end. Ross is also going to have to play better D.

5 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I'd say Ross was used well in each of Cliffs first two years here. The first year in particular he was great. This year he did more on ball stuff out of necessity since our bench was so thin and had basically no scoring besides him and the results weren't great. If we keep him hopefully he goes back to his role as an off ball threat and movement shooter. 

^ This, with all of the injuries, the bench was really thin, and frequently left with minimal ball-handling and offense outside of TRoss.