Sign in to follow this  
CTMagicUK

2020-21 NBA Playoff Discussion Thread

26 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Can't believe that Elfrid Payton is starting a playoff game in 2021. Truly feel like he is our biggest bust from the post-Dwight era

Nah,  Biggest bust was Hezonja and it's not even close.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, crisby pancakes said:

Yeah that guy couldn't play. He wasn't even anything. Just a boy who wanted to be a basketball player.

1 hour ago, crisby pancakes said:

It’s still insane to me that man didn’t become at least a serviceable bench guy- crazy athlete, nice stroke, very competitive. He just never put any of it together. What a shame

• Like 1

7 hours ago, O_SteveO said:

It’s still insane to me that man didn’t become at least a serviceable bench guy- crazy athlete, nice stroke, very competitive. He just never put any of it together. What a shame

How I feel about Jordan Bell. The Warriors are desperate for talent and he can't even get minutes

13 hours ago, crisby pancakes said:

elfrid was a #10 pick and hezonja was #5 - way more bust at 5 then 10. There's only like least 5-6 players after Mario that i would rather have today but to be fair that draft was very bad and is still bad today and would be hard to judge. Maybe Myles Turner, Devin Booker, Kelly Oubre, Rozier....Maybe Bobby Portis

Elfrids draft there are 7-10 players i would want after his pick at 10 and thats saying something.

You got Mcdermott, Saric, Lavine (who i wanted) TJ warren, Nurkic, Gary Harris, Capela, Bogdanovic, Dinwiddie, Jokic, Jordan Clarkson

4 minutes ago, Natesroom said:

elfrid was a #10 pick and hezonja was #5 - way more bust at 5 then 10. There's only like least 5-6 players after Mario that i would rather have today but to be fair that draft was very bad and is still bad today and would be hard to judge. Maybe Myles Turner, Devin Booker, Kelly Oubre, Rozier....Maybe Bobby Portis

Elfrids draft there are 7-10 players i would want after his pick at 10 and thats saying something.

You got Mcdermott, Saric, Lavine (who i wanted) TJ warren, Nurkic, Gary Harris, Capela, Bogdanovic, Dinwiddie, Jokic, Jordan Clarkson

I would definitely take Turner, Booker, Oubre, Rozier, Portis and would throw a couple more in that turned out better than Hezonja - Harrell, Mudiay, Kaminsky; but your point about that draft in particular being a real crap shoot is very true. Only 44/60 players picked that year ever made it onto an NBA roster. That's over 26% that didn't. In comparison, in 2014  there were 53/60 players that have made a roster at some point and 2016 managed 54/60. It was arguably the worst draft ever. It is the fewest players to make an NBA roster in the history of the 30-team/60 pick drafts. So, yeah, Hezonja was a bust, and there were guys that turned out much better; but most of that draft really was a lot more misses than hits. 

2 hours ago, Natesroom said:

Hezonja was so bad his rookie option was declined and he's already out the league playing in Greece. Payton is still in the league and has started 394 games out of 450 at an average of 28.5 mins per game. Not saying that I rate Payton (I don't) but as far as busts go it's not close at all.

Other players that were available in drafts after picks is a different discussion entirely and doesn't have any basis on who is a bust and who isn't.

2 hours ago, crisby pancakes said:

Hezonja was so bad his rookie option was declined and he's already out the league playing in Greece. Payton is still in the league and has started 394 games out of 450 at an average of 28.5 mins per game. Not saying that I rate Payton (I don't) but as far as busts go it's not close at all.

Other players that were available in drafts after picks is a different discussion entirely and doesn't have any basis on who is a bust and who isn't.

I agree it doesn't have a basis on who is/isn't a bust - it is just an interesting footnote on who else was available and the overall strength or weakness of that particular draft.

If you had a strong draft with 2-3 all stars, 4-5 other starters, 6-8 career bench players picked after yours and you missed on them, it reflects differently on your front office than if you had a weak draft with only 1-2 all stars, 2-3 other starters, 3-4 career bench players picked after yours. It just says your front office had less to pick from. It's part of what separates some teams' front office/scouting from others - the ability to find the gem in and among the rest. 

24 minutes ago, alwaystragic said:

ja morant and dillon brooks are both great players

future is bright for the grizzlies

Brooks is having the series of his life so far, playing way above his season/career averages. It will be interesting to see if he can sustain it and make this jump his "new norm", or if this is just a couple game aberration.

27 minutes ago, alwaystragic said:

ja morant and dillon brooks are both great players

future is bright for the grizzlies

Brooks isn't nearly as good normally as he's been in this series.