Sign in to follow this  
CTMagicUK

2020-21 NBA Playoff Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, hootie249 said:

While there is plenty of blame to go around, it was mostly Ben Simmons. The guy falls apart when pressured. He can't he shoot, but he is supposed to be a facilatator, someone who does all the little things. As soon as he misses free throws, which he does a lot he completely shuts down. No defense, no passing he just freezes. Tobias had a bad game as well but they played great defense on him. The other guys just missed. Ben shot 4-14 from the free throw line, that's it game over. Embiid is an all time talent. Guy is amazing to watch. Gonna waste his time in Philly unless they trade Ben.

Can't have non-centers that can't shoot in today's NBA

1 hour ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Can't have non-centers that can't shoot in today's NBA

I think you can so long as they provide enough other offense. The best below average shooting non bigs are usually free throw tanks who put pressure on defenses at the rim and can make enough mid range, post or floater range shots to keep the defense honest. I'm thinking Butler, Fox, Giannis (although he's kind of a big). (This is why I'm still high on Fultz if he can get healthy because he could be or is all these things)

Personally I think you need 4 out of 5 guys to shoot it so long as the remaining 1 (whoever they are) has some way of threatening a defense in the half court. (For the playoffs anyway. Regular season it's not nearly as important).

EDIT: Though to be fair Centers who can shoot and stay on the court defensively deep into the playoffs are hard to come by which is why it often defaults to the C as the non shooter so you're right. 

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

I think you can so long as they provide enough other offense. The best below average shooting non bigs are usually free throw tanks who put pressure on defenses at the rim and can make enough mid range, post or floater range shots to keep the defense honest. I'm thinking Butler, Fox, Giannis (although he's kind of a big). (This is why I'm still high on Fultz if he can get healthy because he could be or is all these things)

Personally I think you need 4 out of 5 guys to shoot it so long as the remaining 1 (whoever they are) has some way of threatening a defense in the half court. (For the playoffs anyway. Regular season it's not nearly as important).

EDIT: Though to be fair Centers who can shoot and stay on the court defensively deep into the playoffs are hard to come by which is why it often defaults to the C as the non shooter so you're right. 

This is why I am desperate for Bamba to work out. He has the tools but he needs a coach who can show faith in him and increase his motor.

1 hour ago, MagicMoses said:

This is why I am desperate for Bamba to work out. He has the tools but he needs a coach who can show faith in him and increase his motor.

I hope that Bamba can work out, but I'm not sure that anyone can "increase his motor". I think that is something he has to do for himself. I did see some signs of improvement in his motor as the season went on; so I don't know, maybe his bout with COVID really sapped his wind? Maybe that is part of why he was getting such limited minutes and seemed short on energy most of this season. I'm hoping he really works on his overall fitness and stamina this summer; because he does have a lot of tools, just needs the motor to run them.

• Upvote 1

Mo's feel for the game is just as troubling as his lack of motor in my opinion. Sometimes it's difficult to say whether he just doesn't recognise the defensive rotation or he doesn't have the motor to make the play.

Rick Carlisle just informed Mark Cuban that he will not return as coach of the Mavs. Two years left on his contract, so not sure what that means for him going elsewhere - probably some kind of compensation to the Mavs if someone else wants to hire him. 

4 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

I hope that Bamba can work out, but I'm not sure that anyone can "increase his motor". I think that is something he has to do for himself. I did see some signs of improvement in his motor as the season went on; so I don't know, maybe his bout with COVID really sapped his wind? Maybe that is part of why he was getting such limited minutes and seemed short on energy most of this season. I'm hoping he really works on his overall fitness and stamina this summer; because he does have a lot of tools, just needs the motor to run them.

Agree. The other thing is that we had concerns about his intensity and effort (AKA motor) well before COVID, unfortunately. 

5 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Mo's feel for the game is just as troubling as his lack of motor in my opinion. Sometimes it's difficult to say whether he just doesn't recognise the defensive rotation or he doesn't have the motor to make the play.

And he’s awful running plays and setting picks as a big. 

1 hour ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Legit gutted with this Hawks loss. Trae deserved that W in an iconic game

I think they'll win by 20 in the next game! I loved Trae being willing to go after Embiid :)