Sign in to follow this  
CTMagicUK

2020-21 NBA Playoff Discussion Thread

1 minute ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I still think Alex Martins is a pretty big problem. He’s not involved as much in basketball decisions as he used to be, but I still think he’s too involved. 

Really excited to see who we hire at coach and I think it needs to happen soon. They need to be a part of the combine and drafting process or you’re setting them up for failure from the get-go

I think that was why Weltman became President of Basketball Ops rather than GM. The insinuation was that Martins was admitting his failure and relinquishing more control. Martins is virtually never at Basketball related press conferences anymore. Whether or not Martins is actually involved less I guess we can't actually know.

NBA draft July 29, only a bit over a month from now, so we won’t have to wait too long to see how it all plays out.  Regarding a coach, while I never thought there was any chance one would be hired before the lottery results were announced, I believe they should definitely have a coach in place prior to the draft, hopefully by at least a week or two.  If they don’t, then they’re having even more trouble finding someone decent to take the job than I expect.  

2 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

We also have to remember that this front office are not responsible for the '14, '15, '16 moves. 

Yup. I think the moves we have made since then have been great. And the C on Bamba is only because he hasn’t been able to reach the potential he has. If the Magic fully commit to Bamba/WCJ as their centers and fill the rest of the roster with 1-4. That would be smart given the NBAs current drift to small ball

4 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I've addressed Oladipo in a different comment. 

Tobias Harris was 22 when he left the Magic and now plays in a much more advantageous situation than he did here. I don't think he's had anything other than a standard level of growth since leaving us. Being older, understanding the game better + having better teammates and a better coach to put him in situations to succeed probably accounts for like 90% of his growth. It's not like he's a dramatically different player than he was when he left us. 

Every Magic fan said the same thing back then. He is what he is, will someday be paid to be more then that. It came to pass, in hindsight we should have kept him, but this year is the only year he has played like an All-Star. He is paid too much and has no all NBA teams or All-star selections. 

On 6/25/2021 at 3:46 PM, CTMagicUK said:

I think that was why Weltman became President of Basketball Ops rather than GM. The insinuation was that Martins was admitting his failure and relinquishing more control. Martins is virtually never at Basketball related press conferences anymore. Whether or not Martins is actually involved less I guess we can't actually know.

For some reason I thought Hammond was higher on the chain of command than Weltman, this is incorrect?  What exactly does Hammond do?  We don't hear a peep from him ever.  

5 hours ago, Bebop Meat Mop said:

For some reason I thought Hammond was higher on the chain of command than Weltman, this is incorrect?  What exactly does Hammond do?  We don't hear a peep from him ever.  

Yea that's incorrect. Weltman is the President of Basketball Operations, Hammond is the General Manager. Its not too dissimilar to Weltman being the GM and Hammond being the Assistant GM. Hammond does a lot of the same work but Weltman is the ultimate decision maker. 

Previously (08-09 to 12-13) they have worked in reverse roles in Milwaukee. Hammond was the GM and Weltman the Assistant GM.

21 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Yea that's incorrect. Weltman is the President of Basketball Operations, Hammond is the General Manager. Its not too dissimilar to Weltman being the GM and Hammond being the Assistant GM. Hammond does a lot of the same work but Weltman is the ultimate decision maker. 

Previously (08-09 to 12-13) they have worked in reverse roles in Milwaukee. Hammond was the GM and Weltman the Assistant GM.

Ok, that's probably where I got confused.  These guys must be bosom buddies or something.  

Yikes. Does PG13 have it in him to mount a come back and take LAC to the Finals after all.

In all honesty, even if MIL - LAC is a year later than it should have been, I think any of these four teams makes for a fun and interesting finals for once

10 hours ago, South_Aussie_Magic said:

Yikes. Does PG13 have it in him to mount a come back and take LAC to the Finals after all.

In all honesty, even if MIL - LAC is a year later than it should have been, I think any of these four teams makes for a fun and interesting finals for once

Whoever wins the Finals this year is due for a championship. I'm just happy the "regulars" are watching from their couches. Gonna be cool to see either PG13, CP3, Giannis, or Trae hold up their first Larry O'Brien Trophy.

• Like 2