Sign in to follow this  
CTMagicUK

2020-21 NBA Playoff Discussion Thread

8 hours ago, JJZFL said:

Please see above.  I grabbed a random selection of posts from our draft thread.  There were quite a lot of people who were crazy about Bamba (you weren't one of them) and thrilled we got him instead of Trae or even Doncic. 

Yikes, bad quote from me.  I can assure you though that this did not mean "I'd rather have Mo than Doncic", but rather "I need to move past the fact that Doncic almost came here and accept what actually happened". 

I say that confidently b/c I was, in fact, very much NOT over it.  I continued to lament that miss for weeks.

1 hour ago, ML6 said:

Yikes, bad quote from me.  I can assure you though that this did not mean "I'd rather have Mo than Doncic", but rather "I need to move past the fact that Doncic almost came here and accept what actually happened". 

I say that confidently b/c I was, in fact, very much NOT over it.  I continued to lament that miss for weeks.

What you say above is how I understood your comment.  At that point it was trying to come to terms with what happened.  There were quite a few others though who really believed we were better off with Bamba than with any of the guards.   

After rereading some  of that thread, I’m convinced that we could have gotten either Trae or Doncic had we invested 20 million in a deal to move up.  And what a great investment that would have been.  

13 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

What you say above is how I understood your comment.  At that point it was trying to come to terms with what happened.  There were quite a few others though who really believed we were better off with Bamba than with any of the guards.   

After rereading some  of that thread, I’m convinced that we could have gotten either Trae or Doncic had we invested 20 million in a deal to move up.  And what a great investment that would have been.  

A lesson I've learned from all our trials and tribulations during the rebuild is that we collectively -- and certainly myself individually --  don't know **** really.

I was happier on draft night with Bamba than I would have been with Trae (big yikes).  As you've highlighted, that was not an isolated opinion.

Was deflated about not landing Doncic after there were some legit rumors we might move up for him.

I was ecstatic when we drafted Hezonja.

I thought Isaac, Okeke, and Cole were all good picks (seems like this could be true, but the injuries are a problem).

A combination of good & bad opinions.  It's why I'm trying not to get too flustered with falling to the 5th pick this year.  What if Kuminga (if we pick him) DOES reach his potential, even though I am not super high on him?  I'm just some random dude who happens to watch a decent amount of basketball.  I've been wrong many times before.  I will try to take a wait and see approach, which will almost assuredly expire a few days later.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, ML6 said:

A lesson I've learned from all our trials and tribulations during the rebuild is that we collectively -- and certainly myself individually --  don't know **** really.

I was happier on draft night with Bamba than I would have been with Trae (big yikes).  As you've highlighted, that was not an isolated opinion.

Was deflated about not landing Doncic after there were some legit rumors we might move up for him.

I thought Isaac, Okeke, and Cole were all good picks (seems like this could be true, but the injuries are a problem).

I echo this in order OF my grade for those drafts Day of

'20 Cole - B+   Liked Kira Lewis and Nesmith, but gone and Cole is a no brainer at 15
'19 Chuma A-  Obv Wanted a top 2 pick Ja and Zion i knew would be good but oh well - A- for trading Talen
'18 Bamba B-  Thought he would better then this I actually wanted Collin Sexton or SGA at the time if we couldnt get Luka - Did NOT want Trae. Thought 6 was to high to use on MPJ 
'17 Isaac - C+  Wasnt Sure about him didnt scout him much - Wanted DSJ or Tatum.
'16 Not the worst year to trade our pick. Only 5 impact players in the top 20.
'15 Hezonja B at the time - Wanted Porzingas or KAT obv got screwed lottery - Liked Hezonja possibility
'14 Gordon  B at the time - Wanted any of the top 3 before Gordon. Did not want Smart - Wanted Zach Levine at 12 instead of trading up for Payton. Did not watch much film of Arizona.

1 hour ago, ML6 said:

A combination of good & bad opinions.  It's why I'm trying not to get too flustered with falling to the 5th pick this year.  What if Kuminga (if we pick him) DOES reach his potential, even though I am not super high on him?  I'm just some random dude who happens to watch a decent amount of basketball.  I've been wrong many times before.  I will try to take a wait and see approach, which will almost assuredly expire a few days later.

Great post

1 hour ago, Natesroom said:

I echo this in order OF my grade for those drafts Day of

'20 Cole - B+   Liked Kira Lewis and Nesmith, but gone and Cole is a no brainer at 15
'19 Chuma A-  Obv Wanted a top 2 pick Ja and Zion i knew would be good but oh well - A- for trading Talen
'18 Bamba B-  Thought he would better then this I actually wanted Collin Sexton or SGA at the time if we couldnt get Luka - Did NOT want Trae. Thought 6 was to high to use on MPJ 
'17 Isaac - C+  Wasnt Sure about him didnt scout him much - Wanted DSJ or Tatum.
'16 Not the worst year to trade our pick. Only 5 impact players in the top 20.
'15 Hezonja B at the time - Wanted Porzingas or KAT obv got screwed lottery - Liked Hezonja possibility
'14 Gordon  B at the time - Wanted any of the top 3 before Gordon. Did not want Smart - Wanted Zach Levine at 12 instead of trading up for Payton. Did not watch much film of Arizona.

If i was regrading draft from Perspective now it would be

'20 B
'19 A
'18 D
'17 C
'16 F
'15 F
'14 C

Well, I think the interesting part about the past decade and the state of our beloved franchise is that I’m not entirely convinced guys like Trae would be where they are now if they wound up in our developmental system. The only player we’ve had show noticeable improvement here over multiple seasons in the past decade is Vooch, and a lot of signs point to that being self motivated more than team oriented. I hate our training staff and our developmental team, and honestly I’m not in love with our GM. Think Weltman got massively overrated for one late, lucky pick he made in Milwaukee. I like the mid season deals and finally blowing it up, but if we stand pat and just draft 5 and 8 I’ll be super disappointed.

Also, hire a damn coach already… 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Well, I think the interesting part about the past decade and the state of our beloved franchise is that I’m not entirely convinced guys like Trae would be where they are now if they wound up in our developmental system. The only player we’ve had show noticeable improvement here over multiple seasons in the past decade is Vooch, and a lot of signs point to that being self motivated more than team oriented. I hate our training staff and our developmental team, and honestly I’m not in love with our GM. Think Weltman got massively overrated for one late, lucky pick he made in Milwaukee. I like the mid season deals and finally blowing it up, but if we stand pat and just draft 5 and 8 I’ll be super disappointed. 

Also, hire a damn coach already… 

Well said about the developing players part. Everyone seems to get better when they leave

2 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Well said about the developing players part. Everyone seems to get better when they leave

Who? 

12 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

8 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Who? 

Tobias Harris, Victor Oladipo both got better after they left. But I don't know about the "everyone" part. It does seem like a lot of former Magic players have their best games against us though. 

9 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Who? 

Just off the top of my head, Oladipo and Seth Curry. And I don't think Sabonis or Trae would've been as good if they were drafted to our team.

Unfortunately I haven't seen us develop anyone really in the last 10 years

Just now, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Just off the top of my head, Oladipo and Seth Curry. And I don't think Sabonis or Trae would've been as good if they were drafted to our team.

Unfortunately I haven't seen us develop anyone really in the last 10 years

Oladipo also got considerably better after leaving OKC who are well regarded for player development. He also basically had 1 great season. Difficult to say if that was just an outlier.

Seth Curry never played a regular season game for us and had 2 other teams before he really caught on in Dallas. At the age of 26 after years of maturation both physically and mentally.

It's fine to hold the opinion that Sabonis and Trae wouldn't have developed as well if they'd been drafted here but it's literally your opinion. It's a physical impossibility to know what would have happened. 

I can say 'Marvin Bagley would have been a first ballot hall of famer if we'd have drafted him' but it's obviously bull**** because I can't possibly know the dynamics of personal relationships between coaches and players and how players react to different organisations around them. I'm just wildly speculating.

It should also be noted that literally everyone who's been mentioned so far (Oladipo, Harris, Curry) are from a previous front office.