Sign in to follow this  
CTMagicUK

2020-21 NBA Playoff Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Remember when people on this forum thought Trae was a bad draft pick. Hahahahaha where is ?4thewin when you can call him out, now. 

Don't remember a lot of people saying he sucked or anything, but Atlanta's choice to not take Luka was rightfully questioned at the time.  I don't think it's hindsight to say that was an objectively bad decision, especially since Reddish hasn't shown much.  

Trae will be a good, exciting player for a long time but that trade will haunt the Hawks forever.  

5 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Remember when people on this forum thought Trae was a bad draft pick. Hahahahaha where is ?4thewin when you can call him out, now. 

4 hours ago, J-Mac said:

I will forever laugh at the “Trae young  is a 6th man at best” comments. Yay Bamba right? Smh

You guys are aware we didn't even have an opportunity to draft Trae right? 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

You guys are aware we didn't even have an opportunity to draft Trae right? 

That’s not the point, it’s the fact if Trae was available at our pick anybody that stated they wanted Trae was criticized for poor judgment, but was quick to jump on the bamba bandwagon 

• Upvote 1

If i remember correctly for most of the college basketball season, most of the sub wanted Trea. Then a lot changed after the season was over and leading up to the draft. Half the sub switched to Bamba, Simply because every single mock had us taking Bamba. He was a ranked, mocked player before the season ever began. It's a business for  these guys to grade these prospects starting when they are in highschool. i noticed they rarely drop these guys unless they have an injury or a terrible  freshman season. In other words if they are a top prospect in highschool, they use those rankings on the NBA draft. 

This is one of the reasons why i dislike how people fall in love with these very rigid player Rankings. I went back and googled some mocks. It's true most of these experts had Trea going lower in the draft. It made no sense to me, he was the most electric player in basketball that whole season. He was literally being compared to Curry. And still the experts had all sorts of players going before him. 

1 hour ago, J-Mac said:

That’s not the point, it’s the fact if Trae was available at our pick anybody that stated they wanted Trae was criticized for poor judgment, but was quick to jump on the bamba bandwagon 

This^. And our so called expert (at the time) on this forum trashed everyone one of us wanting Trae. I know he was picked before our pick,

ct aka captain obvious 

13 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

13 hours ago, J-Mac said:

I will forever laugh at the “Trae young  is a 6th man at best” comments. Yay Bamba right? Smh

Yes, Trae has been better than many expected - myself included. But remember, he was already gone when we picked Bamba. We had no real road to get up to Luka or Trae. 

1 hour ago, J-Mac said:

I mean I see your point, there were alot of anti-Trae people.... but I think we also have to mention that the Magic were trying hard to trade up for Doncic and not Trae.

We came with an offer to move up, which means Hawks would have gotten Trae at 6 with our pick and Mavs taken Bamba at 5. I don't know if Mavs had the better offer or if the Hawks just didn't want to trade with a division rival, but the Mavs got the deal and we didn't.

Magic lost out on Luka and Trae went to Hawks at 5. There is an alternate universe were the Magic have a core of Doncic, Dipo, Issac, Sabonis, Porzingis/Vucevic.

25 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

This^. And our so called expert (at the time) on this forum trashed everyone one of us wanting Trae. I know he was picked before our pick,

ct aka captain obvious 

You're out here with the grand take "Trae Young is good at basketball" calling other people captain obvious. 

40 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

You're out here with the grand take "Trae Young is good at basketball" calling other people captain obvious. 

I will admit I posted many times that i did not want the magic to draft Trae and was scared we would... not because i didn't think he "could" be good, but because I thought he had the highest bust potential, A sensational pre-nba career that did nothing in the NBA. Magic have the rare ability to be sucked into that type of player. If i was a scout my picks back then were in this order

Luka - Must have
Deandre - Must have
Sexton
Wendell
Porter - but injury pause issue (still thought we should have taken him at 6 if non of those other were available)
I was also high on SGA and Donte Divncenzo - but they were harder to predict NBA career.

Was not a fan of Bagley and Knox and didnt watch much footage and games of Bamba, Jackson, and Bridges so i would have had to debate other scouts on them, lol.

To be fair at 6 i would have taken wendel porter or sexton before trae.

14 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Yeah these comments about Trae are nonsense.

A lot of people (myself included) weren't high on Trae because when you get to playoff basketball against good teams (Knicks are not a good team) he is going to be targeted due to how bad he is on the defensive end. Some of us also said that he will probably be the sort of player that will put up a lot of points in the regular season but in a crunch series most likely will struggle or give up as many points as he scores. I'll be interested to see how he does in a 7 game series against a top team like the Nets, 76ers or Bucks, the only elite teams that really matter in the East playoffs. He's a good player no doubt, but he's not a superstar like a lot on these boards were trying to hype him up to be on draft day.

As for Bamba, no one on these boards was saying they wanted him, when he was picked everyone just went ok fair enough he was 'best pick' left. For me, I was hoping JJJ dropped to 6 somehow (Also said Doncic was best player in that draft and Ayton shouldn't be anywhere near conversation for no1 pick) and if JJJ didn't drop I wanted to take SGA at 6 or find a way to trade back for him. I remember myself and Rock Legends Photographers talking to each other about SGA and getting hyped for him.

And it's perfectly fine for people to be wrong about draftee's. I've gotten some right and plenty wrong as has everyone else on this board, Mauro thought Hezonja was the second coming of Jesus and was stoked we picked him saying how amazing he's going to be we know how that turned out. Sometimes you simply can't tell what's going to happen, for every SGA there's an Adam Morrison. We don't need to be making childish mocking comments.

Again this shouldn't be in here but above me are two links. The bottom link is the one that ran all season until the draft.

The top one is the actual draft day thread. Fun for laughs.