Sign in to follow this  
CTMagicUK

Chicago Bulls Draft Pick Watch

7 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

That is the tank strategy.  But I think it's higher risk than you make it out to be.  If you either don't get very high picks, or if the picks don't turn out to be franchise changers, then all you have left is to be bad, and keep trying it again.

We're not just tanking though, we've tanked the last 15 games or whatever but I don't think that's the long term plan. We acquired 2 young guys with potential via trade. We have 2 young guys coming back from injury who are at minimum starter calibre players. We have young talented guys already on the roster. And we're likely getting 2 more guys this draft. We're going to try and develop all those guys. Plus we have a bunch of future picks we can use as assets. We're not just hoping for a miracle. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

That is the tank strategy.  But I think it's higher risk than you make it out to be.  If you either don't get very high picks, or if the picks don't turn out to be franchise changers, then all you have left is to be bad, and keep trying it again.

Yes, we all know exactly how you feel about tanking. So then how do you propose we improve the team and become contenders because all I hear is you constantly bashing tanking all while proposing no alternative plan? We’ll just consider this a rhetorical question since you blocked me lol

And for the record, your argument that if things don’t work out all you have left is to be bad could apply to FA also. Should we not take risks signing FA’s out of fear that they may get injured, or that the chemistry might be bad and it might not work out? There’s risk involved in all of this being my point 

53 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

It is definitely a risk, but for a small/medium sized market team what other options are there?

8 hours ago, gobucsmagic said:

Excellent

The circle won’t be closed until you block him though.  Close the circle.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

The circle won’t be closed until you block him though.  Close the circle.

Nah, there may be a day that he posts something worthwhile that isn’t about the detriment and risk involved in tanking. I don’t want to miss that day 

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

We're not just tanking though, we've tanked the last 15 games or whatever but I don't think that's the long term plan. We acquired 2 young guys with potential via trade. We have 2 young guys coming back from injury who are at minimum starter calibre players. We have young talented guys already on the roster. And we're likely getting 2 more guys this draft. We're going to try and develop all those guys. Plus we have a bunch of future picks we can use as assets. We're not just hoping for a miracle. 

I hope this turns out to be correct.  We will see how it translates next season, whenever that starts.  I actually don't think they've announced when it will start.

JJZFL please let us know how you rebuild a team. I am truly interested. You say tanking, whatever that qualifies as in your opinion is bad. So what is the other option do you propose? As a small market team. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

JJZFL please let us know how you rebuild a team. I am truly interested. You say tanking, whatever that qualifies as in your opinion is bad. So what is the other option do you propose? As a small market team. 

You put together the best players you can based on the draft, trades, hopefully identifying a diamond in the rough or two, good coaching so they play team basketball, and teaching the players to compete.  Similar to what we did the "heart and hustle" team.  You lay the foundation for success if you get a break or two.

What I'm hearing is the same arguments we heard 10 years ago.  Tanking is inevitable, there is no other choice.  It is not inevitable.  Plenty of other teams that have lost good players haven't turned to tanking.

Given how the last 10 years turned out, I'm actually surprised to hear the same arguments again.  But that's fine.  People have different opinions.

It is surprising how discussions about tanking seem to bring out the worst in people, though.  10 years ago I was practically called a Nazi for my opinions on the subject.  Of course, most of the more strident posters at the time have since left this forum after all their predictions were proven wrong.

I don't see an exact parallel at all between then and now.  There are significant differences as has been pointed out by CTMagicUK and others.  I hope those differences are enough to lead to a better outcome this time around.