Sign in to follow this  
All Eyes On Me

2021 Trade Deadline Thread

44 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Maybe we can bring in JJ or Mike Miller to teach these youngsters how to shoot.

We've tried to teach people to shoot before.  It hasn't worked out that well.  Better to draft or trade for some shooters.

Well there's no way we keep both Bamba and Carter jr. They both become restricted free agents at the end of next season, I highly doubt we pay them both. More likely that we look to trade Bamba in the near future.

They clearly wanted to not take on salary, probably with a view of being able to take on some bad contracts next year for additonal picks. It's not like we will be a free agent destination so its the only reason to create some cap space, absorb contracts and get more picks out of it.

Didn't really want a full reboot, but that's what we have so we are going to be very bad the next few years, I will not be able to take being bad and still playing this pedestrian playstyle that Clifford has. He either needs to change his play style ( I don't think he can) or leave in the summer.

6 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

We literally never saw Fultz, Isaac and Vuc play a season together. 

We haven't seen a Fultz, Gordon, Isaac group either without Nik&Evan running all the show in a slow paced style... that was actually my hope, and we'll never have the answer for that questions... but last time we were healthy, we were mediocre with all of them except Fultz, and that's a fact.

Also, I don't embrace the tank and I don't want to, except for that season that is already lost. I was just sick of mediocrity and no path at all, as you already know. I would have accepted a trade deadline full of upgrades to give a chance to Vuc&co to finally play for something more than a first round exit.

But again, the best offer we get for Nik was from Chicago... not a contending team and that should tell us something. Also, the return was not that high either for a 2 times all-star. That's the whole story... reality check.

It’s been a while since I posted on here, but I think there are two takeaways here:

1. We had two directions we could choose - keep our players and wait again for Ji and Markele to get healthy (which might not even be at the beginning of next season) to see if things work, or maximize value of our “older assets” (Vuc - 30; Fournier - 28) and reset in attempts to tank and get a franchise cornerstone in the draft (since we know no one willingly comes to Orlando, despite it being one of the top 3 fastest growing cities in the country). We clearly chose a championship was more likely with a reset. I don’t think Gordon was part of that plan, but with his demand for a trade, it somewhat forced our hands as he’s just getting into his prime at 25 years old. 

2. I remember how many of us felt fleeced by the Dwight Howard deal. But in that, we got Moe Harkless, Vuc, Aaron Affalo (traded a year later for Evan), and a few pics that allowed us to tank and get Oladipo, Harris, and Gordon. Had we been smart with keeping Oladipo over Fournier and not trading Harris for peanuts (thanks Henny), you can argue we may have had a very good team. The organization set ourselves up well and then shot ourselves in the foot by trying to expedite the process. 

I like this move for our long term, and hopefully (please God) we’ve learned from our past mistakes with some good veteran front office guys at the helm. 

Magic gave everything for a lot of question marks.  Nicola Vucevic is at the pick of his career, AG is good and Fournier is having the best season of his career.  Don't rely on Isaac or Fultz, those guys are always injured and seems that will always will.  Expect at least 5 years in the bottom of the east conference.  Good Job. 

Hoping that Wendell Carter Jr. takes the torch from Vuc as 'young player acquired as part of package for All Star Center that becomes way better than we hoped'

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Spaceman said:

I find it funny listening to national media (NBA Radio) how you rarely hear mention of any of the Magic players and when they have been discussed it was always negative. Now after these trades it's like the Magic traded away the best players in the league, they got fleeced bla bla bla..  I liked the guys we traded because they were our guys but we weren't going anywhere with them. Would I have liked to have gotten a better return? Sure, but at least now we have some young players that we can hopefully develop into something more than a 35 win team.

Yeah the current team struggled mightily just to make it in the 30 win category, that's just not fun. I rather watch rookies again. For the rest of this year i'm going to watch our boys on other teams. Except Boston, Screw Ainge. 

16 hours ago, JJZFL said:

Yes.  We will go back to being a complete doormat.  Let’s hope it works out better for us this time.  

9 years ago I predicted that our decision to tank could result in us being bad for a very long time.   The same thing could easily happen again, especially with very few players to lend a solid veteran presence.  I think we learned you can’t just throw young players out there, have them make tons of mistakes, and get obliterated.  It builds bad habits and a losing culture.  

While I agree with your premise that veteran players can provide leadership, this particular group of veterans (Vuc, AG, and Fournier) have had the opportunity to lead the team to success for approx 7 years and the best they could muster was a 7 seed and 5 of those 7 years of missing the playoffs.  Therefore, getting rid of this particular group of vets is not a bad thing.  If Isaac, Ross, and Fultz are not ready to lead the young guys to a winning culture, then the GM can look to bring in a couple of vets who can handle those responsibilities.  Either way, I think this path gives the Magic a good chance of rebuilding the team and culture to rise above the decade-long string of topping out at being mediocre.   

2 minutes ago, ShefGator2 said:

While I agree with your premise that veteran players can provide leadership, this particular group of veterans (Vuc, AG, and Fournier) have had the opportunity to lead the team to success for approx 7 years and the best they could muster was a 7 seed and 5 of those 7 years of missing the playoffs.  Therefore, getting rid of this particular group of vets is not a bad thing.  If Isaac, Ross, and Fultz are not ready to lead the young guys to a winning culture, then the GM can look to bring in a couple of vets who can handle those responsibilities.  Either way, I think this path gives the Magic a good chance of rebuilding the team and culture to rise above the decade-long string of topping out at being mediocre.   

Agreed. We're not going anywhere with Vuc and Evan as the leaders of the helm (they're great #2 / 6th man options maybe). I think we gave up on AG too early as he's only 25 and entering his prime. He'll be a great complimentary player to that Denver core.

The question is whether who we have will turn into anything. All have high "potential." We're bound to get something out of one of them. 

The return we got for Vooch is actually potentially great. It guarantees our own pick is worse, Chicago pick could be a second lotto, another first in 2 years when Vooch will be 32/33 and who knows where and what Lavine will be, a 22 year old prospect that could really get unlocked with a change of scenery, and got out of Aminu’s garbage contract.

The Aaron trade was meh, but I’m thrilled about it as a Denver based Magic fan, lol 

And the Evan trade was super underwhelming but we can’t fully judge until we inevitably let the trade exception expire