Sign in to follow this  
All Eyes On Me

2021 Trade Deadline Thread

15 hours ago, Justin Jaudon said:

Yes, we are all aware that you don't think AG is a good player. Apparently, a lot of GMs disagree, since he's got so many teams looking to trade for him. Exactly how those teams value him will be seen when we actually trade him.

Of the things I said, some was opinion, some was fact, and some was simply what I would do in this situation. For the record, of the claims I made about Gordon himself: 1 - Gordon is indeed under contract through next year (that's just true, no ifs ands or buts); 2 - I have certainly never heard anything negative about his locker room presence, but if you have you're welcome to clarify how that part isn't true; 3 - Gordon being one of the most versatile players in the league is not really a hot take, considering the things he's done at an acceptable level since arriving in Orlando (defensive stopper and rebounder early on, then a decent third option offensively, then a sometimes point-forward, full-time defensive stopper), but you're welcome to disagree; 4 - he's shown this year he can be a better shooter and handle playing SF without dribbling the air out of the ball like he did when we tried him there years ago, so I'm not sure why he couldn't play with Isaac, especially since it worked well enough before he was shooting this well; 5 - he's been on the trading block basically since the current management got here, and there have been rumors every year that multiple teams want him, so why would next year be different?

It's fine if you disagree with the crux of what I was saying, that we shouldn't trade Aaron Gordon for just a good 6th man. That's an opinion, and you're welcome to your own. Again, you've clearly had a negative opinion of Gordon since we drafted him, and you've been plenty vocal about it. That's fine. The Dude abides, and all that. But your comment seems to imply that the reasoning behind my opinion is not just bad opinion, but untrue. Again, at least one point isn't up for debate. The rest could still all be true and Gordon could still be on the trading block. Indeed, at least a good portion of that being true is probably why so many teams are interested. I didn't say he was an All-Star, or anything like that.

Your comment just reads like petty sniping at Gordon (and by extension me, for valuing him more than a good 6th man), but that's nothing new. I guess one good thing about Gordon leaving will be not having to read these types of bizarre comments whenever Gordon is discussed on here.

Much of what you sense was based solely on me providing context and balance to the overly understanding fan-club of AG over the years, to which you might be the chairman.  I always wanted him to do well and hope he will wherever he goes.  The only real issue I’ve ever had with him is that his abilities as a player never came close to his status as a superb athlete.   I’ve always liked him and see no issues with him as teammate, but he’s a role player, and despite his lackluster play, wrong side of tweener status and durability, too many people viewed him as some kind of all star.  I’m ecstatic that it seems we will get real value for him despite all this and hope he matures into a player.  Win-win!

44 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

Much of what you sense was based solely on me providing context and balance to the overly understanding fan-club of AG over the years, to which you might be the chairman.  I always wanted him to do well and hope he will wherever he goes.  The only real issue I’ve ever had with him is that his abilities as a player never came close to his status as a superb athlete.   I’ve always liked him and see no issues with him as teammate, but he’s a role player, and despite his lackluster play, wrong side of tweener status and durability, too many people viewed him as some kind of all star.  I’m ecstatic that it seems we will get real value for him despite all this and hope he matures into a player.  Win-win!

That I can understand. I was much harder on Elfrid Payton than I needed to be for similar reasons, I suppose. Interestingly, with AG, I might have been the most upset on the board when we drafted him. In college he didn't show any of the offensive versatility he shows now. It took a while before I saw his value as a player at all. It's really only the last couple years that I've tried to argue against trading him, mostly because I like how he fits defensively with Isaac, and when together they cover very well for Vuc's shortcomings. Not a lot of guys will fit that particular bill, able to switch onto guards and centers and recover fast enough to not blow up the defense. It's a niche skill, really, but for this team it is basically a must at the forward positions. I think that with Gordon and Isaac, a team staring Vuc at the C position can still be elite defensively. I don't think it's possible to have an elite defensive team around Vuc unless you basically replace Gordon with a guy who can do the same thing, which...isn't going to happen. So now, if we really do trade Gordon, we have to become elite offensively or move on from Vuc...and we aren't moving away from Vuc.

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

A better way to say this, every successful trade Ainge made was because of a personal relationship he had with the team. This is not as bad as it sounds, because you should have some some cache with agents and other Gm's if your in charge. It's one of the bad things about the Magic as they have about 25 years of bad splits with players and coaches.

1 hour ago, Soul Bro said:

We should be sitting Aaron and Evan tonight if we’re at all serious about trading them.

Apparently they are both listed as starters.  

I'm not going to begrudge the organisation for playing Fournier and AG last night. If other organisations are low balling us then we have to at least act like we're happy to stand pat. Not playing those guys last night is essentially saying "yea we're definitely accepting one of your trade offers" playing them (and winning) is at least attempting to say "if your offers aren't good enough we'll figure this out another way". 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Marcus Smart boosting his trade value by shooting 3-13 last night. 

Haha yeah, he’s kinda AG in a different spot. I hope we send Evan to Dallas and get Johnson + Tyler bey or tyrell terry. 
And I would prefer AG to Dallas for a combo of Hampton and Barton/Harris. Get two nice young pieces to add to our core plus a vet to plug in for Evan for a bit.