Sign in to follow this  
All Eyes On Me

2021 Trade Deadline Thread

5 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

Well, we don’t all agree on very much but I think most of us agree that it will be shocking if we go through this trade deadline with no moves, as we’ve done so many times in the past.   So I keep checking to see if anything has happened, and am hoping for the best.  

I agree, even if there's still a % that our FO could do that! :P

But if all we do is trading Aaron because he's so tired of mediocrity... and stay with all the rest of the players we have, maybe would be better to stay put...

4 minutes ago, Eskobar said:

What has AG ever done? Everything about his game is overrated and he's nearly the same player today as he was when he entered the league. What has he improved on? What has he done to warrant the never ending praise from some on this forum? Nothing, literally nothing.

I've said it many times, AG is an energy role player off the bench, nothing more. No team playing AG and Evan big minutes will ever be a serious contender for a championship. The reason AG got minutes here is because this franchise has been abysmal since Dwight was traded and we invested a high pick in him. If he was a mid to late first round pick he would have been gone several years ago. It's the Jameis Winston effect, you draft someone high and you keep playing them to justify the pick. Eventually you realize they were never as good as you wanted them to be, and you get rid of them.

None of this is complicated, and virtually nobody outside of Orlando looks at AG the way that you do. His shot is a joke and his defense is, and always has been, wildly overrated. He received big minutes and wants a trade because the team isn't good enough? Not only is he a below average NBA player, he's also completely oblivious, as I stated before.

Good riddance.

Okay, so we're going to try to justify claiming AG is not only a bust, but principally responsible for the team's failures throughout the years? Well, here goes:

1-What has AG ever done? - Since becoming a full-time starter in year 3: 15-6-3 on 44%-32%-70%, so starter numbers on offense with generally considered to be valuable defense

2-What has he improved on? - His offense, considerably. That's not opinion, that's statistics. not counting one outlier season last year: his 3-point % has gone up every year as a starter. His EFG% has gone up every year as a starter. His TS% has gone up every year as a starter. His AST% has gone up every year as a starter. His FTr has improved every year as a starter. So he's shooting more efficiently and getting to the line more. the only things he hasn't improved greatly since becoming a full-time starter are his ORB% and FT%. His TO% has generally hovered around the same as well, though this year is an outlier bad season, which can probably be attributed to having to literally play PG for a good portion of his minutes this year.

3-What has he done to warrant the never ending praise from some on this forum? - I'm not seeing that, at all, on this forum. Some people like Aaron, some REALLY don't (like, at an irrational level; my guess is mostly UK fans salty that we didn't pick Julius Randle, but maybe I'm wrong). Most do seem to think he's a pretty good NBA player, but that's hardly never ending praise.

4-AG is an Energy role player off the bench, nothing more. - That's literally untrue. He's started virtually every game he's played the past 4 1/2 seasons. If your contention is that he should be just a backup, a lot of GMs are rumored to disagree, considering they want to trade for him while he's making starter money.

5-No team playing AG and Evan big minutes will ever be a serious contender for a championship. - That's certainly an opinion, but I guess we'll see. Not sure how that makes AG a bust or nothing more than an energy backup. Danny Green has multiple championships playing big minutes. Hell, so does Mario Chalmers. And plenty of good players never played on a serious championship contender. John Wall hasn't sniffed championship contention; was he a bust? Brad Beal? LaMarcus Aldridge?

6-Virtually nobody outside of Orlando looks at AG the way you do. - Again, apparently a lot of NBA GMs see him as valuable enough to discuss trading for while making $18 million a year.

7-His shot is a joke - again, it has improved every year except for one really bad outlier. he's shooting nearly 40% from three this year, at the second-highest attempt rate of his career. Are you just not paying attention?

8-his defense is, and always has been, wildly overrated. - This is certainly an opinion, and except for the wildly part I get it. His numbers don't jump off a page. His value on defense comes from his ability to competently defend every position on the floor. His individual defense probably is overrated, though not wildly so (his DWS numbers are always positive, which is a good indicator that he's at least a positive defensive player). But his value defensively on a team is probably considered about where it should be.

9-he [is] a below average NBA player - This is a scorching hot take. It seems quite a few NBA GMs disagree, considering they're trying to trade for him while he's making good starter money. Statistically, his career PER is 15.4 which is...above average.

As to the notion that he's a bust... that's a laughably hot take. Not only is a better player than at least one and probably two of the three players drafted ahead of him, he's a better player than all but three guys drafted in the top ten, maybe only two, depending on how you value Wiggins. So if we consider Wiggins better than him, Wiggins, Embiid, and Randle are better players, making him the 4th best player drafted top ten... hm, where was he drafted? How 'bout we compare him to other #4 picks in the last ten years. Tristan Thompson, Dion Waiters, Cody Zeller, Kristaps Porzingis, Dragan Bender, Josh Jackson, Jaren Jackson Jr, DeAndre Hunter, and Patrick Williams. Yeah, he's certainly been better than Waiters, Zeller, Bender, and Jackson (though Cody is underrated). Thompson I'd say is a wash with Gordon at best. Hunter and Williams seem good so far, but we'll see. Porzingis is so injury prone I think I'd rather have Aaron. so Jaren Jackson Jr is the only guy I'm sure I'd rather have than Aaron Gordon long term. Aaron sure doesn't look like a bust in that company.

As to him being principally responsible for the teams failures over the years... well, he was a starter on two playoff teams in Orlando, and they looked pretty good this year until half the roster went down with injuries. Are you suggesting that without Aaron Gordon Orlando would have been contending for championships over the last few years? That Aaron Gordon somehow sabotaged Fultz and Isaac so they would blow out their knees?

44 minutes ago, TrueMagicFanSince1987 said:

I wouldn’t mind getting ATL involved as a 3rd team to take on Smart because I do understand our spacing would be bad. I however wouldn’t want Boggy and his massive contract. He’s always injured and can never seem to stay healthy for a full season. I do like Reddish but I would also include Deandre Hunter in the trade and replace him with Boggy. He’s going to be a good 2 way player and is young.

Hunter would be a great add but I don’t Atl would part with him. GS is rumored to be interested in Bodanovich so maybe he could be routed there

Im No insider but I feel like the only thing that would hold up a Trent Jr trade would be Orlando wanting to get back a first as well. Which honestly...I’d be more than happy with a little cap relief and a 20+ ppg  potential 23 year old wing. No need to get greedy there. 

2 minutes ago, Jason Funderburker said:

Hunter would be a great add but I don’t Atl would part with him. GS is rumored to be interested in Bodanovich so maybe he could be routed there

Agreed it was wishful thinking lol. If we do go the GS route I wouldn’t mind swapping him for Oubre and or Wiseman. 

5 minutes ago, New Guy said:

Im No insider but I feel like the only thing that would hold up a Trent Jr trade would be Orlando wanting to get back a first as well. Which honestly...I’d be more than happy with a little cap relief and a 20+ ppg  potential 23 year old wing. No need to get greedy there. 

Trent Jr is going to command 15+ m a year in the off-season. No cap relief at all.

12 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Trent Jr is going to command 15+ m a year in the off-season. No cap relief at all.

Cap relief in the sense that they can sign Trent Jr. Collins would be an expiring contract. Makes things a little more manageable. And why wouldn’t you want to pay him? Unfortunately you’d have Hood on the books for a year. But you’d make the deal with every intent of Trent Jr being your long term solution at the two guard.

Orlando would have three early 20 cogs tied up for 5 years, and incoming top 3ish pick on a rookie deal. Could Be worse

57 minutes ago, New Guy said:

Cap relief in the sense that they can sign Trent Jr. Collins would be an expiring contract. Makes things a little more manageable. And why wouldn’t you want to pay him? Unfortunately you’d have Hood on the books for a year. But you’d make the deal with every intent of Trent Jr being your long term solution at the two guard.

Orlando would have three early 20 cogs tied up for 5 years, and incoming top 3ish pick on a rookie deal. Could Be worse

Hood's contract is not guaranteed next year so trading either Evan or Gordon to Portland would result in salary relief if Hood and Collins were the filler sent back. The question is what young player and/or pick would they or could they send. To be clear you would not pick up either option. You could possibly convince either player to sign a prove it one year cheap contract.

4 minutes ago, TrueMagicFanSince1987 said:

Apparently AG having second thoughts on trade request per Woj.

Because they are gonna ship him off to Minnesota. LOL!