Sign in to follow this  
All Eyes On Me

2021 Trade Deadline Thread

5 minutes ago, TrueMagicFanSince1987 said:

Clearly you think Smart isn’t an upgrade to this roster which is fine. What you fail to realize though is that nobody on this current roster has the heart, hustle, or grittiness that a guy like Marcus Smart would bring to the team. We have a bunch of softies minus MCW but we can all agree he isn’t the answer and Smart is an upgrade over him. I can agree with you the spacing would be terrible but we aren’t trying to win many games this year so this would only help our tanking/draft situation. Next year when we are fully healthy we have a starting 5 that will give teams fits defensively. Then if he doesn’t workout or want to stay here you move him at the deadline. The point is if he’s the best offer we are going to get for AG I wouldn’t get hung up on all the extra you pointed out. Also in no way am I saying I want Smart at all costs but if management is set on trading AG this year and that’s the best option you go with it 10/10 times.    I personally would hold on to AG and not make the trade but it looks like he is as good as gone by today. 

1. I wasn't talking about this season, I'm talking about next season hence the reference to our top 6 pick. I don't care how bad we are this season, I want us to tank for the best lottery seeding possible. I'm all in on tanking this year while we have so many injuries.

2. You can be as good defensively as you want. It's irrelevant when you only have one player in the starting line up that can shoot. We are already the worst offensive team in the league and are losing our second and fourth best players on the offensive end by the end of this season. We rank last in effective fg%, last in shooting %, last in shooting efficiency and a whole other bunch of metrics we rank bottom 4.

3. We are an average defensive team NOT a good or great one (Fultz and Vooch are below average/average defenders and we will most likely have a rookie starting at SG or SF next year as well.) What you're asking for belongs in the early 2000's. We could be no 1 team defensively next year but that doesn't matter when the roster thats been put together can't score more than 80 points between them. Most of those points would be coming from Vooch alone. There are 2 things we are good at defensively and they are by Cliffords design of how we play. We don't give teams offensive rebounds as we run straight back into our defensive sets when we miss a shot and we don't foul, Clifford wants our players jumping straight up. Everything else we are either bad at or average at.

4. I specifically stated that the trade is fine if they are looking to move Smart for more assets. Under current roster construction, his fit is bad, he is not someone we should be looking to have on the roster long term (not that he would re-sign with us anyway.) All that seems to have leaked is that our front office wants young players back and some picks and that is one of the few things I agree on with this FO.

15 minutes ago, Eskobar said:

None of this is complicated, and virtually nobody outside of Orlando looks at AG the way that you do. 

15 minutes ago, Eskobar said:

below average NBA player

Yea, there are like 10 NBA teams interested in him and reportedly for multiple first round picks but of course nobody looks at him like we do and he's below average. 

Houston has re-emerged as potential favorite and remain engaged in talks with Orlando as of this morning I read. 

and apparently Dame Lillard is lobbying for Gordon hard so maybe a Trent Jr acquisition  isn’t totally out of the equation.  

and fully healthy...meaning Fultz and Cole are back in the fold...Smart is a SG. And would be terrible next to these guys. Absolutely right, where’s the spacing? None of these guys are consistent from range at all. 

marcus Smart is like a career 40% shooter, which is horrendous. Orlando needs points from that two guard position desperately. Consistency. 

with two inconsistent shooters at PG...is Orlando really in a position to play Smart starter minutes like he gets in Boston? Maybe if they want to score 85 ppg

Gordon is what he is. He’d be a perfect piece to a championship contending roster, surrounded by outside shooters. So he can play to his strengths. He could focus less on chucking threes and playing point forward...and thrive slashing with his athleticism and focused defense.

he’s not a star...will probably never be a star...but very valuable to the right team in the right situation 

Several rival executives tell Chris Mannix of SI.com that the Magic appear committed to trading both Aaron Gordon and Evan Fournier this week. Having fallen well out of the playoff race in the Eastern Conference, Orlando is prioritizing receiving draft compensation rather than players who could help the team win this season, Mannix writes.

To that end, while Marcus Smart is said to be included in the Celtics‘ trade discussionsfor Gordon and Fournier, Mannix wonders if the Magic might want to re-route Smart to a third team for more draft capital if Boston and Orlando move forward on that deal.

Mannix also suggests there has been some chatter around the league that the Celtics’ talks with the Magic about Gordon may be a way of pressuring the Kings into more seriously discussing Harrison Barnes, since there hasn’t been much traction with Sacramento to date. The Kings don’t seem to be displaying a strong desire to move key players for draft picks, says Mannix.

sounds like we might finally be committing to a complete rebuild...I thought Martins said last week we'd be competing for a championship this year if not for injuries

1 minute ago, New Guy said:

Gordon is what he is. He’d be a perfect piece to a championship contending roster, surrounded by outside shooters. So he can play to his strengths. He could focus less on chucking threes and playing point forward...and thrive slashing with his athleticism and focused defense.

he’s not a star...will probably never be a star...but very valuable to the right team in the right situation 

Yes this guy has it right. C'mon, you all have watched him for years. He has a great shooting stroke, he just has limited playmaking and shot creating ability. Put him on a team with great playmakers like Jokic and Murry and he would look better. That's just an example. Put him on any team where he is gonna get dimes from great playmakers he's gonna knock down shots. What always bugged me about Gordon is the low rebounds and points in the paint. My guess is more confidence on a better team might help.

Honestly, I can't make up my mind if, in case we deal with BOS, we would be better off keeping Smart or not. I like a lot his energy and toughness and we definitely need that but he doesn't look to be the scorer or a great complement to Fultz. But yes, we could always trade him later on for further assets as for sure there would be interest on him.

The content of the posted by the New Guy and TNB are really good news.

Every time I think about sending AG to either BOS or HOU, and getting Smart or Oladipo in return, I think it would make sense to add a 3rd team. One of the most obvious for me would be ATL, and again based on the rumours, it would be something around:

BOS or HOU gets AG

ATL gets Smart or Oladipo

ORL gets Bogdanovic + Reddish + 1st rd pick

I think BOS/HOU and ATL would be up for it. My concern is us getting that contract of Bogdanovic... I do like him as a player and think he would help us but his contract is ugly...

Well, we don’t all agree on very much but I think most of us agree that it will be shocking if we go through this trade deadline with no moves, as we’ve done so many times in the past.   So I keep checking to see if anything has happened, and am hoping for the best.  

6 minutes ago, JayMac said:

Honestly, I can't make up my mind if, in case we deal with BOS, we would be better off keeping Smart or not. I like a lot his energy and toughness and we definitely need that but he doesn't look to be the scorer or a great complement to Fultz. But yes, we could always trade him later on for further assets as for sure there would be interest on him.

The content of the posted by the New Guy and TNB are really good news.

Every time I think about sending AG to either BOS or HOU, and getting Smart or Oladipo in return, I think it would make sense to add a 3rd team. One of the most obvious for me would be ATL, and again based on the rumours, it would be something around:

BOS or HOU gets AG

ATL gets Smart or Oladipo

ORL gets Bogdanovic + Reddish + 1st rd pick

I think BOS/HOU and ATL would be up for it. My concern is us getting that contract of Bogdanovic... I do like him as a player and think he would help us but his contract is ugly...

I wouldn’t mind getting ATL involved as a 3rd team to take on Smart because I do understand our spacing would be bad. I however wouldn’t want Boggy and his massive contract. He’s always injured and can never seem to stay healthy for a full season. I do like Reddish but I would also include Deandre Hunter in the trade and replace him with Boggy. He’s going to be a good 2 way player and is young.

19 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

sounds like we might finally be committing to a complete rebuild...I thought Martins said last week we'd be competing for a championship this year if not for injuries

I wouldn't say complete rebuild. I think we're committed to trying to win with Fultz/Isaac/Vuc as the core next season.

Wouldn't surprise me if we tank for a good draft pick but then in the summer trade some of these incoming picks for a long term piece to supplement the 'new' core. 

21 minutes ago, New Guy said:

Houston has re-emerged as potential favorite and remain engaged in talks with Orlando as of this morning I read. 

and apparently Dame Lillard is lobbying for Gordon hard so maybe a Trent Jr acquisition  isn’t totally out of the equation.  

and fully healthy...meaning Fultz and Cole are back in the fold...Smart is a SG. And would be terrible next to these guys. Absolutely right, where’s the spacing? None of these guys are consistent from range at all. 

marcus Smart is like a career 40% shooter, which is horrendous. Orlando needs points from that two guard position desperately. Consistency. 

with two inconsistent shooters at PG...is Orlando really in a position to play Smart starter minutes like he gets in Boston? Maybe if they want to score 85 ppg

Yeah this is my view as well.  Good trade outcome for us is we gain a good young scoring wing (2/3) and use this years pick to solidify the other wing position and if we can get an additional young player or a pick or 2 as a bonus then the FO will have done really well.

Trent jr is the best young player that has been mentioned as a realistic option so far. Don't think we would be able to get a 1st round pick out of that trade if he was involved though.