Sign in to follow this  
All Eyes On Me

2021 Trade Deadline Thread

On a serious note, I respect AG’s trade demand and hope it rattles the false narrative of Martin and management that we are close to competing. Orlando usually does a great job of painting a rosy picture but it’s obvious we need a roster reset.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

It's more that I don't think Smart would be happy about being here. 

I don’t think anyone of relevance wants to come here right now if we are being honest. We lack a winning culture and it starts with the guys up top creating such a backwards team philosophy and sticking through it all these years even though the whole league is doing the complete opposite. So while your point is completely valid if we wait around for someone to want to be here we will never get said player. 

11 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

After seeing Aaron get questioned about his trade request post game, and his half-assed response, I’m ok with him getting dealt. It’s time. If your excuse is that you’re frustrated with the injuries and the losing and you don’t have the patience to wait until our 2 best young guns get back from severe knee injuries and contend next year, then we don’t want you as part of the ride. Thanks for the 7 years and the highlight reels, I’ll miss watching you play ball, but if you don’t wanna be here, we don’t want you here. 

I actually like his honest answer in a world where there's a lot of political correct or agents working underneath...

And like Soul just wrote, maybe that would help to change the false narrative of the FO, and also force them to  finally make a move and take a direction. But I'm really really sad to see Aaron go to another team, there's a big risk he'll thrive in the right environment, and I could really feel his pain to have played all of those years in a team with bad coaches situations, outdated style, too much focused on some players and not in developing the right core of youn ones.

There are three names out there that just I think the Magic should target—we’ve been left hanging for years, why not chase them all...

Brogdon, Markkanen, and Smart

Everything works and we continue to tank this year (play who we can) and then land a star in draft and sign some fillers.

Trade 1:

Boston gets:  Fournier

Orlando gets: Part of TPE

Trade 2:

Orlando gets:  Malcolm Brogdon, Marcus Smart, and Lauri Markkanen

Boston gets:  Aaron Gordon

Chicago gets:  Mo Bamba, Aaron Nesmith, Future Orlando 2nd Round Pick

Indiana gets:  Terrence Ross, Chuma Okeke, Gary Clark, Future Boston 1st Round Pick, Future Orlando 1st Round Pick (Lottery Protected until 2024)

Vucevic/FA/FA

Markkanen/Aminu

Isaac/(Cunningham or Barnes)/FA

Brogdon/Smart/Bacon

Fultz/Anthony/MCW

16 minutes ago, davidmguevara said:

There are three names out there that just I think the Magic should target—we’ve been left hanging for years, why not chase them all...

Everything works and we continue to tank this year (play who we can) and then land a star in draft and sign some fillers.

Trade 1:

Trade 2:

Indiana gets:  Terrence Ross, Chuma Okeke, Gary Clark and Future Boston 1st Round Pick

Trade 3:

Orlando gets:  Zach Collins and Anfernee Simmons

Portland gets:  Marvin Bagley

Sacramento gets:  Tyler Ennis, James Ennis, and Future Orlando 1st Round Pick (Lottery Protected until 2024)

Vucevic/Birch

Markkanen/Collins

Isaac/Simmons

Brogdon/Smart/Bacon

Fultz/Anthony/MCW

2021 1st Round Pick and Free Agents 

You know Anfernee Simone is 6’3” on a good day, right?

15 minutes ago, davidmguevara said:

There are three names out there that just I think the Magic should target—we’ve been left hanging for years, why not chase them all...

Trade 1:

Trade 2:

Indiana gets:  Terrence Ross, Chuma Okeke, Gary Clark and Future Boston 1st Round Pick

Trade 3:

Orlando gets:  Zach Collins and Anfernee Simmons

Portland gets:  Marvin Bagley

Sacramento gets:  Tyler Ennis, James Ennis, and Future Orlando 1st Round Pick (Lottery Protected until 2024)

Vucevic/Birch

Markkanen/Collins

Isaac/Simmons

Brogdon/Smart/Bacon

Fultz/Anthony/MCW

2021 1st Round Pick and Free Agents 

Indiana says no to trade 2.

Trade 3 is just a strange one where I'm not sure anyone is super motivated to do that trade. Except maybe Sacramento if they want rid of Bagley. 

Also acquiring Lauri means we'd have to pay him 15m+ a year in free agency which we can't afford to do. 

26 minutes ago, Jason Funderburker said:

You know Anfernee Simone is 6’3” on a good day, right?

I thought he was taller TBH—I adjusted original post.  Took out Portland trade altogether.

17 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Indiana says no to trade 2.

Trade 3 is just a strange one where I'm not sure anyone is super motivated to do that trade. Except maybe Sacramento if they want rid of Bagley. 

Also acquiring Lauri means we'd have to pay him 15m+ a year in free agency which we can't afford to do. 

I took out Portland trade.  Tried something to dump Aminu and get a home town guy.

I think he’s worth the investment.

Modified original post, let me know. 

People aren't high on Smart here because of fit. If he's someone we would flip for more trade value then fine. As a fit though, he's been a sub par shooter thats played on a team thats been stacked with allstars his whole career so he's had plenty of spacing. Going to Orlando means that spacing vanishes. I mean if you look at the starting lineup we would have it would be MCW with Fultz being injured, Smart, Ennis, Aminu with Isaac being injured and Vooch. Vooch is the only person that can shoot in that team. Spacing would be a disaster. Even bringing Fultz and Isaac into the starting lineup does nothing for spacing, in fact it would probably make it worse. Yes, we most likely have a top 6 player from the draft next year but rookies aren't good players.

Nobody is saying Smart is bad. He's a good player but he just doesn't fit with what we have. As for being a good locker room guy. I don't care, we have plenty of those already. We need spacing and scoring desperately when Evan and AG go. I want to see us aquiring young players and young players that can actually shoot the ball and provide spacing.

Smart would be more of a bridge guy, till we figure things out. We need ball handlers. Remember 3's aren't everything. Bam and Butler do not shoot 3's in Miami and Herro has been pretty bad at them this year. Yeah I know they have Robinson but hardly anyone else is hitting them on the Heat this year. The Spurs are 6th in the West! 3 of their main players do not take 3's at all and both White and Murray have been around 30% or less all year. What's saved them is Keldon,Gay and Vassell have been great at the 3 but they are role players.Although KJ has elevated himself to a solid starter. 

He was picked 29th! I seem to remember Payton4thewin was high on him before the draft. 

Anyway my whole point is we need ball handlers and assets so we can get the Duncan Robinsons and Keldon Johnsons to play around Isaac,Fultz and Vucevic. Face it that's our core for at least the next two years. Smart can be moved easily, after he starts the beginning of next year. 

Best case scenario is we get a shooter in the draft and Isaac comes back healthy and a better shooter. Fultz is what he is best case scenario is he comes back like Dejounte Murray. Both played at Washington and missed a year. Now Murray is playing decent minutes in San Antonio but he still can't hit the 3. At least not this year.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, crisby pancakes said:

People aren't high on Smart here because of fit. If he's someone we would flip for more trade value then fine. As a fit though, he's been a sub par shooter thats played on a team thats been stacked with allstars his whole career so he's had plenty of spacing. Going to Orlando means that spacing vanishes. I mean if you look at the starting lineup we would have it would be MCW with Fultz being injured, Smart, Ennis, Aminu with Isaac being injured and Vooch. Vooch is the only person that can shoot in that team. Spacing would be a disaster. Even bringing Fultz and Isaac into the starting lineup does nothing for spacing, in fact it would probably make it worse. Yes, we most likely have a top 6 player from the draft next year but rookies aren't good players.

Nobody is saying Smart is bad. He's a good player but he just doesn't fit with what we have. As for being a good locker room guy. I don't care, we have plenty of those already. We need spacing and scoring desperately when Evan and AG go. I want to see us aquiring young players and young players that can actually shoot the ball and provide spacing.

Clearly you think Smart isn’t an upgrade to this roster which is fine. What you fail to realize though is that nobody on this current roster has the heart, hustle, or grittiness that a guy like Marcus Smart would bring to the team. We have a bunch of softies minus MCW but we can all agree he isn’t the answer and Smart is an upgrade over him. I can agree with you the spacing would be terrible but we aren’t trying to win many games this year so this would only help our tanking/draft situation. Next year when we are fully healthy we have a starting 5 that will give teams fits defensively. Then if he doesn’t workout or want to stay here you move him at the deadline. The point is if he’s the best offer we are going to get for AG I wouldn’t get hung up on all the extra you pointed out. Also in no way am I saying I want Smart at all costs but if management is set on trading AG this year and that’s the best option you go with it 10/10 times.    I personally would hold on to AG and not make the trade but it looks like he is as good as gone by today. 

Some notes from The Athletic today:

Nuggets are interested in both Fournier and AG as well as the Celtics but the Nuggets only have their 2021 FRP and then their 2027 FRP which is a long way out. There's talk of them making RJ Hampton available but not sure how valuable he is to us since we could have just drafted him at 15 if we liked him. 

There's some suggestion that Boston could try and swap Birch and Tristan Thompson in any AG deal which helps them considerably and is terrible for us so god knows why we'd agree to that without considerable extra compensation.