CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

5. Orlando Magic

Jalen Suggs | 6-5 guard | 19 years old, freshman | Gonzaga

The Magic should do everything they can to package this pick with the No. 8 overall pick to try to move up. But I don’t think that’ll work out for Orlando. If Scottie Barnes were available here, I think that would be a good high-upside play for the Magic. But in this scenario, Barnes is not available.

Suggs is a gritty, smart guard, and it’s a guard’s league more than ever. Now it will be critical to develop Suggs’ jumper. Markelle Fultz is the team’s point guard of the future, but in this scenario, Suggs would be given every opportunity to win the job for the long term.
 Josh Robbins

8. Orlando Magic

Alperen Sengun | 6-9 big | 19 years old, international | Beskitas

This is all about upside, and Sengun would be a high-upside play for the Magic. He won’t turn 19 until next month, but he’s already proven himself in Turkey’s prime league. He could develop into a superb offensive player and is worth a flyer here for a team that needs high-end talent.

Yes, it’s true the Magic already have Wendell Carter Jr. and Mo Bamba on their roster. But if we are to believe the majority of talent evaluators in the league who work for other teams, neither Carter nor Bamba project as starters on an elite team. Sengun may be the highest-upside pick left on the board here, so Orlando should take the gamble, even if his defensive skills appear to be lacking at this stage of his development.
 Josh Robbins

https://theathletic.com/2668326/2021/06/23/nba-mock-draft-2021-picks-for-every-lottery-team-including-jalen-suggs-to-magic-and-evan-mobley-to-cavaliers/

7 hours ago, Justin Jaudon said:

Trying to talk myself into the guy: what negatives can we say about Kuminga that we couldn't have also said about Anthony Edwards? What positives can we say about Edwards that we couldn't also say about Kuminga?

Not saying they're the same player. But athletically they're both equally freakish. Edwards' knocks in college were bad shot selection, poor 3pt shooting on too high a volume, and lack of interest on defense. His strengths were freakish athleticism and strength for his position, plus fearlessness going for buckets. Kuminga is as good an athlete, and while he isn't as heavy he seems to be equally strong; I haven't seen enough of him to judge his aggressiveness as a scorer fairly, but he took the most shots of anyone on that GLeague team, including Green.

Again, not equating the two exactly, just wanting to see what kind of responses the comparison gets.

It’s the other offensive attributes. Kuminga’s offensive awareness is less refined. For what he does, think he’s a guy who you draft at 8 not 5.

I want Green. Cade was my number 1 but that ain’t happening.

41 minutes ago, ML6 said:

Given where we ended up, I would be ecstatic with this outcome.  I think Suggs is a significant upgrade over Kuminga, so him falling to us would be a major win.

Question for you since you follow this more closely than me: what exactly makes Kuminga a better prospect than Barnes to begin with? Maybe he's not since lots of mocks have then 5 & 6.  I see two big wings with severe offensive limitations but great defensive tools.  At the moment, Barnes is the better defender.  Kumingas offensive ceiling seems quite a bit higher, so perhaps that's the main future differentiator?

Honestly I think a lot of it is bias. Probably not biases that the league or scouts are conscious of but that exists none the less. Kuminga I think it's easy to look at and say "this is what a modern NBA forward looks like, long, athletic etc" he looks like people we've seen succeed before so it's easy to imagine him succeeding the same way. 

Scottie on the other hand is just this basketball wierdo. He's a 6'8 guy with guard skills who can't shoot, has very little burst or explosion but is a terrific defensive player. It's obvious he does a lot of things that could help teams win but it's not as simple to envisage him being successful because there haven't been a lot of guys like him. 

Also I think you hit on it that maybe there's some element of belief among people who love Kuminga as a prospect that with development he can be the best player on a good team whereas virtually everyone seems to agree that Barnes wont ever have the offensive ability to be that. 

46 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

I hope that he is right about Suggs falling to us, and I would grab him over Kuminga in a heart-beat. On the other hand, I hope he is wrong about us taking Sengun. 

What Suggs lacks in length when comparing to Kuminga, he makes up for in grit. Watching him in the tourney this spring got me out of my seat. However, he has a drive that other teams picking #1-4 won't want to pass on so I sadly do not see him falling to us at #5. 

1 hour ago, jmmagicfan said:

I hope that he is right about Suggs falling to us, and I would grab him over Kuminga in a heart-beat. On the other hand, I hope he is wrong about us taking Sengun. 

I haven’t been huge on Suggs, but if we somehow got him and Moody, I would be ecstatic given our position. 

10 hours ago, Justin Jaudon said:

Trying to talk myself into the guy: what negatives can we say about Kuminga that we couldn't have also said about Anthony Edwards? What positives can we say about Edwards that we couldn't also say about Kuminga?

Not saying they're the same player. But athletically they're both equally freakish. Edwards' knocks in college were bad shot selection, poor 3pt shooting on too high a volume, and lack of interest on defense. His strengths were freakish athleticism and strength for his position, plus fearlessness going for buckets. Kuminga is as good an athlete, and while he isn't as heavy he seems to be equally strong; I haven't seen enough of him to judge his aggressiveness as a scorer fairly, but he took the most shots of anyone on that GLeague team, including Green.

Again, not equating the two exactly, just wanting to see what kind of responses the comparison gets.

A bit of info on Kuminga...."The G League Ignite's star forward was once the #1 ranked prospect on ESPN's Top 100 for the class of 2021 before he elected to reclassify for the class of 2020. Even after his reclassification, Kuminga was still the # 4 prospect"

8 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Yea I think he's a first rounder now. Just an unreal combination of length and athleticism with a jumper that's looking pretty good. 

How about considering Brandon Boston with pick 33? Freshman from Kentucky, Shooting Guard, was a 5 star recruit......to brew him under Ross and Harris.

1 minute ago, Albert Lergier said:

A bit of info on Kuminga...."The G League Ignite's star forward was once the #1 ranked prospect on ESPN's Top 100 for the class of 2021 before he elected to reclassify for the class of 2020. Even after his reclassification, Kuminga was still the # 4 prospect"

Yes, he is very young, and does have a lot of "upside potential", but that also means he has a lot of work left to do to reach it. He is really going to need a team with a top training staff, that can teach him and fine-tune the existing talent. 

4 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

Yes, he is very young, and does have a lot of "upside potential", but that also means he has a lot of work left to do to reach it. He is really going to need a team with a top training staff, that can teach him and fine-tune the existing talent. 

IF we get him.....what I like is that we need a wing player to complement Chuma and JI and with way the small ball is being played in today's NBA, we could go small with JI at C, Kuminga PF or SF and Chuma at PF or SF.

2 minutes ago, Albert Lergier said:

How about considering Brandon Boston with pick 33? Freshman from Kentucky, Shooting Guard, was a 5 star recruit......to brew him under Ross and Harris.

I wouldn't mind it. I can see the appeal of just swinging for the fences on a shot creating wing like Boston. I don't think he'd be my first choice to pick at 33 given who'll probably be there but I think he'd still be a good pick. 

Even if he never works out it's a worthwhile gamble. People might not remember that when they're looking back on it though. 

On 6/23/2021 at 7:34 AM, ML6 said:

“I am going to pretend like I didn't read something about Dosunmu being an option at #8 a few pages back.  What he did against Loyola Chicago was an affront to basketball.  James Naismith was looking down regretting ever inventing the game.”

lol that was me and it was one game. He was playing in the toughest conference in college and was the most clutch player in the big ten. Please look at what he was doing before he broke his nose. Thanks