CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

8 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

You could see Weltman was upset when we got the #5 pick. I don't think they're high on Kuminga. There might be a clear top 5, but there is a gap from #4 to #5 according to most analysts. Will be intriguing to see what can be done. 

I saw that. Hopefully he can get something done. 

11 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

You could see Weltman was upset when we got the #5 pick. I don't think they're high on Kuminga. There might be a clear top 5, but there is a gap from #4 to #5 according to most analysts. Will be intriguing to see what can be done. 

I'm not sure how much his irritation was a reflection on their impression of Kuminga, and how much was just the frustration of once again moving down in the lottery instead of moving up. We have had pretty crappy draft lottery luck over the last 10 years. 

1 minute ago, J-Mac said:

What does he need “a lot of work on” exactly? His footwork is not top tier but let’s not act like he can only straight line drive like Gordon. He got a couple moves in his arsenal especially going downhill, and all this his ft percentage doesn’t show promise, I bet there’s a lot of players that was like that in the league today. I didn’t go crazy with research but Aldridge and horford shot the same or worse on ft percentage in college and didn’t even attempt threes and were solid players in the league.

Obviously these are open gym shots but can someone explain to me what doesn’t look promising about his form?

His shot is very questionable in games because in games have scenarios that an empty gym doesn’t provide. For me it’s other areas of his game that concerns me as him being the pick for us. 

2 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

His shot is very questionable in games because in games have scenarios that an empty gym doesn’t provide. For me it’s other areas of his game that concerns me as him being the pick for us. 

He came straight out of high school to the G league. My question is where in his form does it show he can’t improve?

2 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

I'm not sure how much his irritation was a reflection on their impression of Kuminga, and how much was just the frustration of once again moving down in the lottery instead of moving up. We have had pretty crappy draft lottery luck over the last 10 years. 

I’m pretty sure it was the fact that again they are 1 pick away from a more polished, immediate impact type of player.

Weltman never shows discontent. This time he did. 

Just now, J-Mac said:

He came straight out of high school to the G league. My question is where in his form does it show he can’t improve?

His form needs some rebuilding to it but it’s not the shot that ultimately concerns me. It’s his iq, his awareness, his feel, that concerns me.

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

Sometimes percentages can lie. Like for example I believe Ziaire Williams is going to be a good 3 point shooter in the league despite his percentages this year based on his form, his shooting volume and versatility and the fact that he was dealing with injuries for quite a while at Stanford which could have affected his numbers. 

I've seen nothing from Kuminga that suggests he's a better shooter than the numbers look. 

True. But sample size is like 15 games also 

Just now, Magicman28 said:

His form needs some rebuilding to it but it’s not the shot that ultimately concerns me. It’s his iq, his awareness, his feel, that concerns me.

Same thing with, steph, trae, wall, Tatum, Ja, Edwards, etc. All of them needed time to get a feel for the game that’s very normal for young players. Not a lot of players can come in like lebron, luka, lamelo, or Zion and have a natural feel for the game.

His form needs rebuilding? Like lonzo?

6 minutes ago, J-Mac said:

Same thing with, steph, trae, wall, Tatum, Ja, Edwards, etc. All of them needed time to get a feel for the game that’s very normal for young players. Not a lot of players can come in like lebron, luka, lamelo, or Zion and have a natural feel for the game.

No. Not the same. All rookies have things they got to learn. What I’m saying is Kuminga still doesn’t quite know how to play the game. Those guys you mentioned may have had to learn the NBA a little but “feel for the game” I mean the actual game of basketball. Kuminga is raw. Real raw. 

You’re probably talking about 3-4 years away from even knowing if he’s a rotation guy raw.

21 minutes ago, J-Mac said:

What does he need “a lot of work on” exactly? His footwork is not top tier but let’s not act like he can only straight line drive like Gordon. He got a couple moves in his arsenal especially going downhill, and all this his ft percentage doesn’t show promise, I bet there’s a lot of players that was like that in the league today. I didn’t go crazy with research but Aldridge and horford shot the same or worse on ft percentage in college and didn’t even attempt threes and were solid players in the league.

Obviously these are open gym shots but can someone explain to me what doesn’t look promising about his form?

I posted an article and a video a few pages back that outline all the areas he needs to improve. Both of them also include extensive coverage of the issues with his jumper. 

Aldridge and Horford were both legit bigs. If you want to get into the Kuminga as a big wing PF discussion I'm here for it because I actually think that's more likely than Kuminga as a shot creating SF. 

I want two of the following four:

Suggs or Green if one of them falls to us with Giddey as the #8. If neither falls to us, then I would go with Giddey at #5 and Moody at #8. 

14 minutes ago, J-Mac said:

John Wall was one of the best PG prospects in years when he came out. His feel for the game was orders of magnitude greater than Kuminga. Similarly Trae was never knocked for his feel for the game as a prospect. Can't speak to Steph since he was a prospect before my time but I can't really imagine a guy who came into the league and immediately averaged 17 and 6 was knocked for a lack of feel.