CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

Yes, his shot isn't broken (3 point form does look bad though) and you could argue that repetition might make that shot come good but the concern for me is his feel for the game and BBIQ. They come across as severely lacking. For someone that is so gifted athletically, he's really not a good defender. And it does concern me that if his form doesn't look bad then 63% from the freethrow line is a massive alarm bell. Theres a lot of cases where he just tried to barrel his way through and when that doesn't work he takes really bad jumpers hence the very bad advanced stats. I honestly feel like he would take 6 years just to become ok.

I don't want to say AG 2.0 as they deffo have a lot of differences in their game  but BBIQ wise it feels like AG all over again.

23 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Confused by the idea that 18 year olds can't have polished footwork or be great shooters. 

Jalen Green is like 8 months older and shot almost 37% from 3 in the same league. 

Alperen Sengun has some insanely good post footwork and he played in the Turkish league this season at 18 years old. 

Roko Prkacin shot 39% from 3 in the Adriatic league this season at 18 years old. (EDIT: to be clear Roko is not a super great shooting prospect but he has better indicators than Kuminga at a similar age)

That's just 3 guys in this draft off the top of my head. 

Confused by the idea that 18 year olds can’t have flaws. Not saying you said that but my point is they’re going to need work regardless at 18. Green needs work on consistency and his weight, kuminga shooting and feel, and alperen need work on his quickness he’s so dependent on fakes and pivot moves because he lacks quickness. And roko I know nothing about.

so idk who you will enjoy watching by your standard in this rookie class cause they all need work except maybe Cade who lacks explosiveness 

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

There's a video about with a classic empty gym shooting video of Josh Giddey and while I don't put any stock in those really his jumper does look more fluid and natural in the video than I've seen previously and a lot of the attempts are off the dribble. That's encouraging at least. 

Short of a trade up I'm basically pinning all my hopes on us picking Giddey with one of the two picks now. 

Got to get Giddey with the 8 pick...FO has to bring him to Orlando to eval his talent.  At 18, 6'8" (taller than Cade), his boards, assists and turnover numbers per 36 are better than Cade.

1 minute ago, J-Mac said:

Confused by the idea that 18 year olds can’t have flaws. Not saying you said that but my point is they’re going to need work regardless at 18. Green needs work on consistency and his weight, kuminga shooting and feel, and alperen need work on his quickness he’s so dependent on fakes and pivot moves because he lacks quickness. And roko I know nothing about.

so idk who you will enjoy watching by your standard in this rookie class cause they all need work except maybe Cade who lacks explosiveness 

All prospects need work. Including Cade. I never argued otherwise. 

I just believe Kuminga needs a lot of work on a lot of very important areas and his NBA role kind of hinges on him being successful in that development. 

3 minutes ago, Albert Lergier said:

Got to get Giddey with the 8 pick...FO has to bring him to Orlando to eval his talent.  At 18, 6'8" (taller than Cade), his boards, assists and turnover numbers per 36 are better than Cade.

I look at all the Mock drafts and they have Giddy going 10+.  He clearly has an amazing feel for the game and court vision, listed as a 6'8" PG who passes first with elite court vision but scores when needed. The knock is there for his average athleticism and a shot that needs a bit of work.

You know who also had these exact same critiques before being drafted?

Luka Doncic. 

Just now, TreyMachine said:

I look at all the Mock drafts and they have Giddy going 10+.  He clearly has an amazing feel for the game and court vision, listed as a 6'8" PG who passes first with elite court vision but scores when needed. The knock is there for his average athleticism and a shot that needs a bit of work.

You know who also had these exact same critiques before being drafted?

Luka Doncic. 

Lol I like the optimism but Giddey isn't close to the level of prospect Luka was. 

10 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I just believe Kuminga needs a lot of work on a lot of very important areas and his NBA role kind of hinges on him being successful in that development. 

The number of times we've drafted an "elite athlete that needs to work on his shot" (a la Aaron Gordon, Jonathan Isaac, Mo Bamba) has left us with little offensive firepower. The only time that worked out for us was with Victor Oladipo. 

Call me skeptical at this point of Kuminga. I'm 90% sure we're working hard to trade out or trade up. 

Weltman is going to have to trade his way out of this situation. Either trade up if a team is willing to or find talent already in the league using the picks and players. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, CTMagicUK said:

Lol I like the optimism but Giddey isn't close to the level of prospect Luka was. 

Luka had perhaps a better shot and was maybe playing against better competition? Also has a little more bulk to him, but I don't know what Giddy can do if he got into a weight room.

The point is, we have enough athletic guys on our team that he has to teach to feel the game. I love the idea of having a player on our team whom  has a great feeling for the game already.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

Weltman is going to have to trade his way out of this situation. Either trade up if a team is willing to or find talent already in the league using the picks and players. 

You could see Weltman was upset when we got the #5 pick. I don't think they're high on Kuminga. There might be a clear top 5, but there is a gap from #4 to #5 according to most analysts. Will be intriguing to see what can be done. 

21 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

What does he need “a lot of work on” exactly? His footwork is not top tier but let’s not act like he can only straight line drive like Gordon. He got a couple moves in his arsenal especially going downhill, and all this his ft percentage doesn’t show promise, I bet there’s a lot of players that was like that in the league today. I didn’t go crazy with research but Aldridge and horford shot the same or worse on ft percentage in college and didn’t even attempt threes and were solid players in the league.

Obviously these are open gym shots but can someone explain to me what doesn’t look promising about his form?