CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

I am going to pretend like I didn't read something about Dosunmu being an option at #8 a few pages back.  What he did against Loyola Chicago was an affront to basketball.  James Naismith was looking down regretting ever inventing the game.

Kuminga basically played in the G-league with grown men as a HS Senior.  Yes I am disappointed overall but he would still be a great pick with higher upside then anyone on our roster currently.      

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I'd trade 5 and 8 for Evan Mobley in an instant personally but I understand the big long guy fatigue among Magic fans. I just think Mobley is a clear top tier talent.

He just looks too fragile…he might be really great but I am concerned with his frame…

I watched lots of Kuminga’s highlights today ) he is pretty good, size, speed, athletic, can dribble the ball and pass, good awareness and feeling for the game. People criticise his shot but he has a good looking jumper. He is not Marion, Ben Simmons or Michael Kidd Gildricht (cannt write his name properly) and etc. there are chances he would be a better player than Suggs for example…

There's a video about with a classic empty gym shooting video of Josh Giddey and while I don't put any stock in those really his jumper does look more fluid and natural in the video than I've seen previously and a lot of the attempts are off the dribble. That's encouraging at least. 

Short of a trade up I'm basically pinning all my hopes on us picking Giddey with one of the two picks now. 

12 minutes ago, Babir_9 said:

He just looks too fragile…he might be really great but I am concerned with his frame…

I watched lots of Kuminga’s highlights today ) he is pretty good, size, speed, athletic, can dribble the ball and pass, good awareness and feeling for the game. People criticise his shot but he has a good looking jumper. He is not Marion, Ben Simmons or Michael Kidd Gildricht (cannt write his name properly) and etc. there are chances he would be a better player than Suggs for example…

I don't think Kuminga has good awareness or feel for the game personally. I think he's a very mixed bag in terms of feel on both sides of the ball.

He's a pretty good athlete but he's not some kind of athletic phenomenon, he can dribble a bit but he's not primary ball handler good. He can pass but his vision isn't great. His jumper looks ok but he shot 25% from 3 and 63% from the FT line. 

I think the margin for error for him to be the prospect we hope he is is so slim. So much would have to go right for him to reach those high end outcomes people attach to him. He might be more Stanley Johnson than Jaylen Brown.

Well we get number 5. I feel like trades are in play. Like others have said, Mobley and Cade are going 1 and 2 no matter what. I think Toronto will try to trade up but I don't see Detroit or Houston giving up either of those 2. I can see the possibility that one of Suggs or Green slips to us. Cleveland and Toronto have good players at the guard spots. I definitely think one if not both will try to make a deal with us. 

The question is how much our front office likes Green or Suggs. Would they give up the 8th pick for either one?

Toronto getting lucky really sets me off man.  Between the explosion of entitlement from their fanbase after 2019, Nick Nurse acting like a child on the sidelines, Lowry intentionally injuring people left and right, and a "lol y are the magic so pathetic over the last decade" reddit post from a Toronto fan I just saw, I would be quite happy to see that team implode.  And instead they jump into the Top 4 with a ~32% chance while we don't with ~52%.  Good times.

8 hours ago, Jay Magic said:

Be ready to be proved wrong

I'm ready. This is one time I'd be thrilled to be wrong and give you full credit for being right.

8 hours ago, Jay Magic said:

It is what it is. It’s often about who drafts best and develops best anyways, not who has the best pick.

Star players in this conference finals were drafted at the following:

Middleton: 39th
Jrue: 17th
Kawhi: 15th
Giannis: 15th
Booker: 13th
George: 10th
Trae: 5th
CP3: 4th

I think this is a really important point, and it's one of the reasons I've been against tanking.  +1 from me.

Edit:  Would have been +1 but I'm out.  I'll add it later.