CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

On 6/10/2021 at 10:04 AM, Natesroom said:

I wouldnt mind keeping Braz, wagenr and ennis as off the bench 10,11,12 players or how occasionally has to start because of game day scratch of a player.

Jettisoning Bacon is the second biggest thing we could do next to the draft.

A guard that can get 10 points in 10 minutes and is 6'6 is valuable. Yes advanced stats showed Bacon as one of the worst players in the league, because he played too much. A guy making 1.6 million is a deep bench player. I seriously doubt we let him walk. At worst we pick up the option and trade him to a team that needs a body.

2 hours ago, hootie249 said:

A guard that can get 10 points in 10 minutes and is 6'6 is valuable. Yes advanced stats showed Bacon as one of the worst players in the league, because he played too much. A guy making 1.6 million is a deep bench player. I seriously doubt we let him walk. At worst we pick up the option and trade him to a team that needs a body.

There are guys who might go undrafted in this class that I'd rather give a chance to than keep Bacon. Being 6'6 and being able to score points quickly (on generally low quality shots) don't make up for his lack of feel, tunnel vision, average defensive effort and poor outside shooting in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

“Over the past 20 years, only one draft class has produced four All-Stars in the top five picks. And while the 2021 draft isn't expected to be led by four future Hall of Famers, like 2003 with LeBron JamesCarmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade, there's a sense within NBA circles that the top of this year's crop could end up being as strong as any we've seen in the past two decades. 

"That top five is potentially as stout as any of the other drafts [since 2000]," one high-ranking NBA executive said. "There are years where the No. 1 pick would never be the No. 1 pick ever again. Some drafts lack that No. 1 pick. This one's legit. I'm a big fan. There's legit star power [in the top 5]."

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/31605394/nba-draft-2021-cade-cunningham-jalen-green-rest-top-five-historically-great

An incredible article by Schmitz about the top five. I REALLY want a top four pick.

• Upvote 1

Can imagine Primo is someone this FO is interested in. Haven't seen much of him myself but 18 years old, 6'6 with a +4 wingspan and promising shooting numbers is an enticing proposition.

He might be in that middle ground though between not in range for the Bulls pick but off the board with our 2nd (if we use it).

EDIT: ESPN have Primo at 37 in their best available but he's got the attributes of someone who might rise up boards in the pre-draft process. I like the look of him from what I've seen so far. Adding him to the group of guys I like with our 2nd. 

So, I am really high on Josh Giddey from Australia, as you already know if you have followed this thread, but I am struggling a little bit with one possible outcome. If we get the #1 pick, it is a no-brainer to go with Cade Cunningham; but then what to do with the Chicago pick if we get it? I'm struck by the overlap of Giddey's skillset with Cade's. I have Giddey as one of my top prospects; so if he is still available at 8-11, he would be (in my opinion) the BPA on the board. Do we go with Giddey and the overlap, or do we go with a better "positional" prospect? I still say Giddey, but it is the one scenario where I would be second-guessing, depending on who else is still on the board. 

8 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

So, I am really high on Josh Giddey from Australia, as you already know if you have followed this thread, but I am struggling a little bit with one possible outcome. If we get the #1 pick, it is a no-brainer to go with Cade Cunningham; but then what to do with the Chicago pick if we get it? I'm struck by the overlap of Giddey's skillset with Cade's. I have Giddey as one of my top prospects; so if he is still available at 8-11, he would be (in my opinion) the BPA on the board. Do we go with Giddey and the overlap, or do we go with a better "positional" prospect? I still say Giddey, but it is the one scenario where I would be second-guessing, depending on who else is still on the board. 

As you know I'm also high on Giddey but the one scenario I wouldn't draft him is if we get Cade. I think there's too much overlap and Giddey just wouldn't have the opportunity to develop to his potential with Cade in front of him taking so much on ball burden. Plus if you get Cade you should be focusing on trying to add guys that compliment his skillset (shooters and off ball scorers who can attack tilted defenses crated by Cade's passing).

I have literally no belief that we're lucky enough to get Cade but I've spent a considerable amount of time thinking about how he fits with our guys on this roster... 

I'm not stopping up to watch the lottery on Tuesday either. Just going to go to bed and hope to wake up to some great news. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I have literally no belief that we're lucky enough to get Cade but I've spent a considerable amount of time thinking about how he fits with our guys on this roster... 

I'm not stopping up to watch the lottery on Tuesday either. Just going to go to bed and hope to wake up to some great news.  

I'll be watching live so I'll just save you the time and break the news ahead of time -- we pick 6th and Chicago jumped to 3rd.  Sleep well.

Hi Folks,     So it is almost lottery time.   For the last month I have been doing something fun.

While watching the playoffs I have randomly run the tankathon lottery thing.

I have run it 258 times and the results are as follows:

(before anybody calls me out, I know this does not mean a thing. Its just for fun.)

So, sadly our first pick came up as 6th most times, 52 times

But the one single combination that came up the most was  1st and 9th. 22 times

Our average first pick was 3.8       our second was   9.2

So  the picks came up as follows:

!st pick:                                                2nd pick:

#1- 44x                                               #8- 85x

#2- 41x                                               #9- 92x

#3- 33x                                              #10-  21x

#4- 32x                                                Lost to top 4 protection- 60x

#5- 36x

#6- 52x

#7- 20x

Pretty close to the actual odds, except 5th fell and 1 and 2 rose (fingers crossed, lol)

And  the player picks came up as follows:

!st pick:                                                2nd pick:                                         3rd Pick: Trey Murphy III

#1- Cade Cunningham                    #8- Keon Johnson

#2-  Jalen Suggs                               #9- Davion Mitchell

#3-  Jalen Suggs                               #10- Moses Moody

#4-  Jalen Green                             

#5-  Jonathan Kuminga

#6-  Scottie Barnes

#7-  Scottie Barnes

So anyway, Just some fun stuff to look at and chat about      

• Like 1