CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

31 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

That trade becomes even more suspect when you know that Rob Hennigan came from the Thunder and then got a job back with the Thunder after he left us. 

And OKC basically turned those guys (Oladipo and Sabonis) into Paul George. Which they then turned into SGA and a bunch of draft picks. 

I hate Rob Hennigan (which is weird because for the first like 2 years I was fully on board with his moves but everything after Skiles became the coach - a decision I think a lot of us probably thought he didn't really make - was terrible)

I agree that there was a marked change in his moves prior to Skiles being hired, and after that hire; as if upper management had stepped in and started dictating more, and his moves after that showed his resentment. 

2 hours ago, hootie249 said:

Even at the time every NBA writer and all the guys on tv were wondering what the heck the Magic's gm was doing. He traded the highest drafted player we had during our rebuild for Ibaka and spent the  biggest cap space we had in years on Biyombo  and Jeff Green, don't forget about him. And gave Presti that pick that became Sabonis. Every expert agreed the pick was way too much for a player that could leave at the end of the year. So weird, he killed our cap space, drafted two complete busts and traded away two future all stars. Kept the wrong forward and then immediately got his old job back at OKC. It's a miracle we made the playoffs later on.

What makes it even stranger is we made the Playoffs almost entirely because players Henny acquired had career years. Vucevic,Evan,DJ and Ross. And here is the scary part. Going to point something out but brace yourselves, it's terrible when you think about it. All of the most important players acquired by Hammond have played in less then half of their games with the Magic.

Except Cole, just checked he played 47 out of 72 this year. Chuma played in 45 games but i'm counting last year even though it's not official. Isaac,Fultz,Bamba and Aminu. These guys along with Cole and Chuma are the major additions made by Hammond and Weltman. Combined it's staggering the amount of games missed by all 6 of them. Hopefully our luck changes this coming year.

Good summary

1 hour ago, jmmagicfan said:

I agree that there was a marked change in his moves prior to Skiles being hired, and after that hire; as if upper management had stepped in and started dictating more, and his moves after that showed his resentment. 

Yeah he seemed to have an eye for talent but not any as a real Gm. Getting his pockets picked by Hinkie because he telegraphed wanting Elfrid.  It's less known but the same thing happened with Porzingis. He wanted a talented forward and was all in on King Zing then took Mario when zing went one pick before us. Mario never did anything in Europe, i do remember the hype but not sure how it came to be. Even at the time it seemed like smokescreens from other teams scouting staffs. I only forgive him a bit because i just can't see us drafting Booker and the other players he should have drafted were busts as well. And then the Whiteboard incident and the trades, free agent signings. Something was happening behind the scenes and i think it's still affecting the team to this day.

Do we have a thread that talks about this seasons recap ? I havent been following much of the NBA since last March (?) when regular season was stopped.

I just came back and noticed we finally blew up the team, and Im trying to figure out what did we get back in return?  Can someone give me a recap on the main trades we did (Vuc, AG, Fournier), and injury updates? I see Markele and Ross are hurt, how is Isaac holding up ?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, random said:

Do we have a thread that talks about this seasons recap ? I havent been following much of the NBA since last March (?) when regular season was stopped.

I just came back and noticed we finally blew up the team, and Im trying to figure out what did we get back in return?  Can someone give me a recap on the main trades we did (Vuc, AG, Fournier), and injury updates? I see Markele and Ross are hurt, how is Isaac holding up ?

Thanks!

Vucevic and Aminu to Chicago for Wendell Carter Jr, Otto Porter Jr, 2021 top 4 protected first and 2023 top 4 protected first

Gordon and Gary Clark to Denver for RJ Hampton, Gary Harris and a 2025 top 5 protected first

Fournier to Boston for two second round picks, not sure the years on em, but we turned his contract in to a pretty big trade exception 

Markelle tore his ACL in the 8th game of the season, recovery seems to be going well but we’ll see if f he’s ready at the start of next year

Ross is “hurt”. He got held out with back spasms to help the team lose more near the end of the year. Same can be said about Otto Porter.

Okeke had a severe ankle sprain that kept him out the last few weeks.

Everybody else that was in and out of the lineup near the end of the season was preventative maintenance and to help the tank.

By all accounts JI is almost a full go and should be ready for summer workouts

Just now, All Eyes On Me said:

Vucevic and Aminu to Chicago for Wendell Carter Jr, Otto Porter Jr, 2021 top 4 protected first and 2023 top 4 protected first

Gordon and Gary Clark to Denver for RJ Hampton, Gary Harris and a 2025 top 5 protected first

Fournier to Boston for two second round picks, not sure the years on em, but we turned his contract in to a pretty big trade exception 

Thanks, how were these trades accepted, do we think we got good enough returns for them ? Who we are now our best guys ?  Was just scrolling through recaps of last games, and havent recognized any of the players heh.

1 minute ago, random said:

Thanks, how were these trades accepted, do we think we got good enough returns for them ? Who we are now our best guys ?  Was just scrolling through recaps of last games, and havent recognized any of the players heh.

Trades were good I think. We finally committed to bottoming out and embracing youth. We got a ton of future flexibility, picks and young talent. Also of note, none of the guys we traded have contributed much to their new teams.

Our best players near the end of the year were in no particular order, Wendell Carter, Cole Anthony, Chuma Okeke and RJ Hampton.

39 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Trades were good I think. We finally committed to bottoming out and embracing youth. We got a ton of future flexibility, picks and young talent. Also of note, none of the guys we traded have contributed much to their new teams.

Our best players near the end of the year were in no particular order, Wendell Carter, Cole Anthony, Chuma Okeke and RJ Hampton.

Are the pieces we got back possible building blocks for the future or just placeholders ? Are we still building around Isaac and Fultz?  I saw Fultz FT% was highest on the team, thats been a nice surprise, I remember he was struggling when he came over. Guess both him and Isaac are dealing with injuries ? Are both expected to be healthy for the next season ?

Anything exciting in this years draft ? I see new rules are in play for the lottery, that's good to see we at least tanked properly and ended up with top % for 1st pick.

4 hours ago, random said:

Anything exciting in this years draft ? I see new rules are in play for the lottery, that's good to see we at least tanked properly and ended up with top % for 1st pick.

There is absolutely no way JJZFL doesn’t pounce on this lol

9 minutes ago, s1n1st3r12 said:

So sorry what are our odds now? We are the 3rd worst team in the league so we must have a decent % to get a top 5 pick? 

I think it’s a little over 50% probability we land in the top 4