CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

8 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

I want Bones Hyland 

I like Bones a lot, I only didn't mention either him or Deuce McBride above because I can't really see where we've got roster space for another PG especially one who doesn't have the size to play any other position. But in a vacuum both guys would be on that list I just posted. 

23 hours ago, O_SteveO said:

This is where I am as well. I don’t know a ton about Wagner, but I’m a fan of Mitchell. We really need our first pick to be top 4 lol

Unfortunately there’s about a one out of two chance that it won’t be, even if we have the very worst record in the NBA at the end of the season.  

39 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

Unfortunately there’s about a one out of two chance that it won’t be, even if we have the very worst record in the NBA at the end of the season.  

Yeah, and I realize it’s out of our control. Some draft luck would still be huge obviously

Something I’ve been thinking about, and know has been touched on a little is our guard situation. We all want the best version of Fultz moving forward, and Cole has shown a lot (in my opinion) to be optimistic about. Hypothetically, if we come away with Cade/Green/Suggs, how likely do y’all think it is that we could run 3 guard sets? I know Suggs is a little smaller and more of a traditional PG than the other 2, but I don’t see why Cade or Green couldn’t play some 3 here and there for us in today’s NBA. 

7 hours ago, O_SteveO said:

Something I’ve been thinking about, and know has been touched on a little is our guard situation. We all want the best version of Fultz moving forward, and Cole has shown a lot (in my opinion) to be optimistic about. Hypothetically, if we come away with Cade/Green/Suggs, how likely do y’all think it is that we could run 3 guard sets? I know Suggs is a little smaller and more of a traditional PG than the other 2, but I don’t see why Cade or Green couldn’t play some 3 here and there for us in today’s NBA. 

Don't think you can play Cole/Fultz/Green all together. Not enough size. But that doesn't really matter I don't think Cole has proved he's good enough to start anyway.

Cade you can play at the 3 sometimes easily. 

I'm over watching guys just do dumb **** consistently. Making mistakes is fine for young players. Making the same mistake over and over is not. 

I'm always more drawn to high feel guys anyway but I'm prioritising it even more when thinking about the draft now. 

Fortunately there are a bunch of high feel guys at the top of this draft. In an ideal world we get two of them like Cade/Wagner. 

And of course I'm always willing to allow for guys with middling feel if they have important potentially elite traits (see: Jalen Green - burst and space creation). 

In his latest mock draft, Bleacher Report’s Jonathan Wasserman has the Magic selecting G League Ignite guard Jalen Green at pick number four and Baylor guard Davion Mitchell. Adding Mitchell given the plethora of point guards the team already has doesn’t make too much sense to me, but getting Green could be the spark to a new contending run for Orlando.

Jalen Green was the No. 1 ranked high school recruit in the class of 2020 by ESPN and chose the G League over collegiate basketball. He averaged 17.9 points, 4.1 rebounds, 2.8 assists, and 1.5 steals per game in 15 starts for the Ignite club while shooting 46 percent from the field and 36.5 percent from downtown.

The 19-year-old California native would be an idyllic pick for the franchise and be the most electric prospect the team has had since Penny Hardaway or Tracy McGrady. Green is arguably the best pure scorer and shot-maker in the 2021 class, even having his Ignite head coach Brian Shaw comparing him to his late former teammate Hall of Famer Kobe Bryant and Clippers All-Star Paul George.

“He does have a way, or a knack for figuring it out,” Shaw said (h/t ABS-CBN News“The guys that I’ve been around — the Paul Georges, the Kobe Bryants, guys like that who were also the targets of the other team’s best defensive players and their scouting report, they figured out a way to get it done. I’m seeing that same kind of thing out of him, figuring it out when you’re the target of the defense and their scouting report. Those names that I threw out there — I said Paul George, I said Kobe Bryant. Without making comparisons to them, he has the same kind of stuff that they have, that they had. He’s 19 years old, and he’s only gonna get better, and his attitude towards the game is what it needs to be.”

Green could be the foundational piece for the Magic to build around, adding to an already stellar young core, and giving Orlando an identity and presence they’ve been desperately missing. He projects as a two-guard at the next level but at 6-foot-6 and sporting a wiry 180-pound frame currently, Green has the size to play the three for the Magic and will grow into his frame more as he gets older. With the ninth selection after they select Green in this scenario, I think Orlando would be wise to target Florida State forward Scottie Barnes, Michigan forward Franz Wagner, or even Duke forward Jalen Johnson.

All three would address various needs and issues the Magic have currently, plus they all have the ability to be swing forwards in my opinion, and could be great compliments at the four next to Carter Jr. in potential small-ball lineups for Orlando. Both selections would also give the franchise more incentive and flexibility in moving on from Porter Jr. and Ennis III this summer. A draft-day haul of Green and any of the aforementioned three wing players would right the demons of the Magic’s recent draft blunders.

https://sircharlesincharge.com/2021/04/23/orlando-magic-rebuild-different/

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Don't think you can play Cole/Fultz/Green all together. Not enough size. But that doesn't really matter I don't think Cole has proved he's good enough to start anyway.

Cade you can play at the 3 sometimes easily. 

Yeah I was just thinking about different lineups. I think Cole is fine as a bench guy. 

4 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I'm over watching guys just do dumb **** consistently. Making mistakes is fine for young players. Making the same mistake over and over is not. 

I'm always more drawn to high feel guys anyway but I'm prioritising it even more when thinking about the draft now. 

Fortunately there are a bunch of high feel guys at the top of this draft. In an ideal world we get two of them like Cade/Wagner. 

And of course I'm always willing to allow for guys with middling feel if they have important potentially elite traits (see: Jalen Green - burst and space creation). 

This is also why I wouldn’t mind Suggs or Mitchell. Both have exceptional bbiq.

40 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

This is also why I wouldn’t mind Suggs or Mitchell. Both have exceptional bbiq.

Suggs I'm fine with. Not really bothered about Mitchell in the lottery. I like him as a prospect just not as a lottery one and he has the best nickname I've heard in a long time ('Off night' because when you play him you have an off night) but he's already 22 and I don't believe he's as good a shooter as the senior year numbers look. I honestly think Jared Butler might be a better prospect from Baylor because he's such a good pull up shooter and ball handler.