CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

2 hours ago, J-Mac said:

I’m big on Suggs, but I think people are sleeping on kuminga if he’s available I’m definitely taking him at 4-5. To move like he does is special especially as a PF

We actually have a PF who moves like Kuminga does already on the roster. I'm lower on Kuminga than most but I can understand why people see the appeal. He does seem like a Weltman and Hammond guy though.

Suggs is so interesting. Unbelievable leader, great handle, good height, crafty playmaker and an amazing defender. His poise as a freshman is impressive. However, at times he looks impatient and his shot seems streaky. If Chauncey Billups and Tony Parker had a baby, this would be him. I do see a franchise point guard here and future all-star but it may take a little time for his shot to become consistent.

I'm watching Michigan/FSU from last night right now and yea I'm in on Franz Wagner. 6'8 guys who play great D and can pass, dribble and shoot don't grow on trees. 

All in on Jalen Green if we miss on Cade. That guy seems like the go-to wing scorer this franchise has never had and has always been in need of. I’ve been skeptical of guys skipping major college ball to play in a professional development leagues or in Australia or wherever, but only because it’s not a route we’ve seen provide a ton of success up to this point in basketball history. But Green was outstanding against grown semi-pros in the g-league this year. When most fans think of the g-league it’s probably looked at as a league filled with guys who aren’t good enough for the league instead of as a feeder league to the NBA. I think that’s mostly true, but I’d still take my chances with any g league team against the USC’s and Gonzaga’s of the world. I believe the average age for an NBA g league player is 25, all mostly guys who have had sips of coffee already in the league and/or were standouts in college already for multiple years who hone their craft as basketball players all day every day just like any other professional. Jalen Green is 19 and averaged 18/4/3 while shooting 37% from 3 on nearly 6 attempts per game. That’s super impressive as a teenager against grown men who play ball for a living. All in on him if we miss Cade. 

With our clean(ish) slate approaching this rebuild our front office need to ensure they don’t make the same mistakes from recent drafts. The prime example being creating a logjam at PF and C without making further moves to solve it. For example, drafting Mo Bamba when we had an all star center in Vucevic and it was clear he was in our long term plans. We can’t afford to make mistakes like that again. 

In this draft I do like Moody and Green, both have the skill set and upside to become key parts of the rebuild. Suggs and Cunningham would also be very appealing players. Granted they would mean a question mark over where Fultz plays, but Suggs and Cunningham are good enough to displace Fultz as starting PG. I’m not entirely sold on the forward options, the top couple do strike me as more PF than SF which creates a conflict with Isaac and Chuma. Potentially I wouldn’t be against bringing back Porter at a reasonable cost to pair with Isaac in the front court, but we can afford to be somewhat patient in this rebuild. 

1 hour ago, Mike1989 said:

In this draft I do like Moody and Green, both have the skill set and upside to become key parts of the rebuild. Suggs and Cunningham would also be very appealing players. Granted they would mean a question mark over where Fultz plays, but Suggs and Cunningham are good enough to displace Fultz as starting PG. I’m not entirely sold on the forward options, the top couple do strike me as more PF than SF which creates a conflict with Isaac and Chuma. Potentially I wouldn’t be against bringing back Porter at a reasonable cost to pair with Isaac in the front court, but we can afford to be somewhat patient in this rebuild. 

I hear you. In this draft, especially given the injuries and unknowns with our current roster, I 100% believe we need to go with the BPA, regardless of fit. If WeltHam believe it’s Cade at the top, go with Cade. If next it’s Green, then go with Green. If it’s Suggs, then go with Suggs. We cannot afford to draft around guys with major injury histories and uncertainties.

1 hour ago, Soul Bro said:

I hear you. In this draft, especially given the injuries and unknowns with our current roster, I 100% believe we need to go with the BPA, regardless of fit. If WeltHam believe it’s Cade at the top, go with Cade. If next it’s Green, then go with Green. If it’s Suggs, then go with Suggs. We cannot afford to draft around guys with major injury histories and uncertainties.

What if the best player available when we pick is Mobley? He is still rated highly, he still has another game in the tournament to raise his stock. You can't tell me everyone would be disappointed to draft him even if he was BPA at our spot. I mean context is still important. Now i'm purposefully being a little tricky bringing up a center. I think a slightly more possible situation, however distasteful, is we drop a bit and miss out on the top guards. Will they draft a forward/bigman if he truly is the BPA or reach for a guard or small forward?

38 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

What if the best player available when we pick is Mobley? He is still rated highly, he still has another game in the tournament to raise his stock. You can't tell me everyone would be disappointed to draft him even if he was BPA at our spot. I mean context is still important. Now i'm purposefully being a little tricky bringing up a center. I think a slightly more possible situation, however distasteful, is we drop a bit and miss out on the top guards. Will they draft a forward/bigman if he truly is the BPA or reach for a guard or small forward?

Yes, I’m suggesting to take Mobley if we think he’s the BPA... even if they think he’s the first overall pick. 

I'm glad I'm not a Gm, that would be a tough pick. It's a tough job, picking top 5 last year was hell and I definately questioned LeMelo in the last draft. And he looked the best until he was injured. I do follow your logic though. If we had traded Vooch before last draft I'm betting my own personal top 3 would have been Wiseman,Halliburton,Anthony with Ball coming in a close 4th. And I was really worried Ant and Ball could be complete busts. 

Again,it's a tough job.

A stronger version of Mobley could be one of the best players in the NBA. He’s one of the few 7-footers who can dominate in a perimeter-oriented game. The only player his size at the next level who can score off the dribble, distribute the ball, shoot from anywhere, and defend all over the floor is Kevin Durant. Once again, it’s not that Mobley is a lock to be a generationally great player. It’s that his skill set is so rare that it puts him in those kinds of discussions.”

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/1/13/22226644/2021-nba-draft-evan-mobley-usc

I’d personally love to get any of Cade, Green, Mobley or Suggs. With our later pick, Wagner is growing on me.