CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

I mentioned it previously, potentially in a previous draft thread or maybe at the start of this season, but I wouldn't be surprised if Chris Smith is someone we pursue heavily to be a part of our Summer League team with a view to a 2 way. He's been terribly unlucky in that he's had a foot injury through most of his Senior year but I think he'd have been a 2nd rounder last season, he's a long wing who's been playing for Mick Cronin at UCLA (we've previously had 2 other Mick Cronin coached prospects Gary Clark and Troy Caupain)

10 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I have both Moody and Giddey in my top 8 so yes I'm cosigning a situation where we get both.

I’d be on board with that. 

EDIT: I also wouldn’t be upset with Barnes or Kuminga and Moody, if we don’t move up. Their shooting obviously is a big concern tho. 

I think Giddey has some serious bust potential. People are thinking of Ball. LaMello was always supposed the be the Ball sibling with the most talent. He was a prodigy years ago. Yeah he had a much better shot then we all anticipated but the length and passing were always there. He's from the US from a family playing basketball all their lives. From the little i know Giddey is a skinny white kid from Australia who was kind of the same but what do we really know about him? The videos i watched do nothing for me. He could have been the kid who flashed on  a college team but simply didn't have the physical speed,stength or quickness to make it in the NBA. I can't tell from those Adelaide videos.

18 minutes ago, Nwhermit said:

If we pick Kuminga at 5 and Barnes fall to 8th? Would you pick him or a shooter?

Absolutely not. That seems like a nightmare draft. (Now watch them turn into PG and Kawhi lmao)

14 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

I think Giddey has some serious bust potential. People are thinking of Ball. LaMello was always supposed the be the Ball sibling with the most talent. He was a prodigy years ago. Yeah he had a much better shot then we all anticipated but the length and passing were always there. He's from the US from a family playing basketball all their lives. From the little i know Giddey is a skinny white kid from Australia who was kind of the same but what do we really know about him? The videos i watched do nothing for me. He could have been the kid who flashed on  a college team but simply didn't have the physical speed,stength or quickness to make it in the NBA. I can't tell from those Adelaide videos.

Both Giddey's parents were pro in Australia. He's been a big time prospect at youth camps and tournaments for years now.

Lamelos length and passing have always been there? So have Giddey's? 

He averaged 11/7/7 in the Australian league against physical grown men despite being a skinny teenager so I'm pretty confident he'd have dominated in the NCAA in a similar role.

41 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

Ball's season in Australia - per 36 - 19.6 ppg, 8.7 rpg, 7.9 apg in 12 games listed as 6'7" 180 lbs.

Giddey's season in Australia - per 36 - 12.2 ppg, 8.2 rpg, 8.4 apg in 28 games currently listed as 6'8" 205 lbs.

Both were 18 years and a few months old during their time in the league. Is it possible that he will be a bust? There is that potential with almost any rookie. By all accounts his BBIQ is pretty high, though. All we can do is wait and see at this point. 

The issue with Giddey is the complete lack of any athleticism. When you couple that with his height I don't see any way he's able to defend or stay ahead of NBA caliber guards and that has alarm bells ringing all over the place for me because there's a big chance he just ends up as a non shooting small forward. Being able to pass doesn't make up for that for me.

There's no doubt he's a skilled passer, good bb iq and it seems like he has great court vision so I totally get why some people like him though. I just don't think he's a top 10 player in this draft.

1 hour ago, davidmguevara said:

I would… One of them will become a star—maybe both…

I think that’s a major assumption. I think (if you’re set on one of them,) you take the one who you think is most likely to become a star, because the most likely scenario is that neither do, and then you’ve spent two high draft picks on defensive/athletic forwards who can’t shoot.