CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

NBC with a bold predictions article:

”After the Orlando Magic select Scottie Barnes, a player they reportedly covet, with the No. 5 pick, the Grizzlies call Orlando and put together a deal to move up to the No. 8 spot. Memphis agrees to send the No. 10 overall pick and a 2022 top-six protected first (via the Utah Jazz) to the Magic to move up and select Franz Wagner, a versatile wing who will fit perfectly with Memphis' young core. 

The Magic go on the clock at No. 10 and draft Arkansas guard Moses Moody, giving their roster some much-needed shooting.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/nba-draft-2021-five-bold-predictions-including-warriors-trade

Im listening to a podcast with a guy who used to work as the director of analytics for a team and he says teams know who's getting picked hours in advance and he'd be a little surprised if the top 5 isn't already set in stone in this draft. 

Makes me think we're definitely getting Scottie Barnes. 

30 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

NBC with a bold predictions article:

”After the Orlando Magic select Scottie Barnes, a player they reportedly covet, with the No. 5 pick, the Grizzlies call Orlando and put together a deal to move up to the No. 8 spot. Memphis agrees to send the No. 10 overall pick and a 2022 top-six protected first (via the Utah Jazz) to the Magic to move up and select Franz Wagner, a versatile wing who will fit perfectly with Memphis' young core. 

The Magic go on the clock at No. 10 and draft Arkansas guard Moses Moody, giving their roster some much-needed shooting.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/nba-draft-2021-five-bold-predictions-including-warriors-trade

I think this would be a really good scenario. Moody can shoot and play D.  I think he'd be as good a fit as anyone else we might get at #8 and, in this hypothetical, we get another #1 pick for next year.   

New Hollinger article on the Athletic suggests that there is "increasing chatter that the Magic are enamored with Stanford's Ziaire Williams", and that we should therefore trade back.

Hard to tell if this is a legit rumor situation with Williams at this point, or if everyone is just in a reporting echo chamber since we worked him out twice and people are drawing conclusions.

If I had time, what I’d really like to do is go back and see the predictions on average who we would’ve picked over the last five years according to analysts / commentators vs. who we actually picked and see if we were better off or not with those estimated scenarios prior to the draft. 

2 minutes ago, ML6 said:

New Hollinger article on the Athletic suggests that there is "increasing chatter that the Magic are enamored with Stanford's Ziaire Williams", and that we should therefore trade back.

Hard to tell if this is a legit rumor situation with Williams at this point, or if everyone is just in a reporting echo chamber since we worked him out twice and people are drawing conclusions.

I think it’s

1. Echo chambers for sure. 
2. Magic floating ideas out there to get trade calls on trading back, but perhaps to draft someone else (Kai Jones?). 

Remember the media is all part of the chess game, y’all. 

Happy 2021 Draft Day !!!!

This is the pool of players that the FO most likely will draft the next 2, maybe 3, if they decide to deal, Orlando Magic players.

These are the players "with the most upside, with the most potential to be stars". Cade, Jalen Green, Mobley and Suggs not included. I could have missed some...

Kuminga             J.Springer         Barnes                   Keon Johnson            Kai Jones

Giddey                 Moody               Sengun                  Zairie                          Cam Thomas

JT Thor              Franz Wagner   Jalen Johnson      Usman Guruba          Jalen Johnson

It's almost certain that this draft class, including the top 4 players will be a very good one......

Who do I think the FO is going to draft?

----> Barnes with # 5

----> # 8 is open, because if Zairie is who the FO wants, they can get him later in the draft. I think they have a deal in the making. 

-----> The deal results in drafting Zairie and Kai Jones (Bamba could be the player dealt)

Happy Drafting !!!!

Happy Pizza & Beer night !!!!

Givony ESPN draft day mock is still the same for the Magic: Barnes/Kuminga/Thor. 

I just can't see the logic in Barnes and Kuminga. If you believe in Kuminga then surely he should be the #5 pick because he's got a higher ceiling than Barnes. If you believe Barnes is a better prospect than Kuminga then I don't really see how you can justify picking Kuminga with #8.

5 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Givony ESPN draft day mock is still the same for the Magic: Barnes/Kuminga/Thor. 

I just can't see the logic in Barnes and Kuminga. If you believe in Kuminga then surely he should be the #5 pick because he's got a higher ceiling than Barnes. If you believe Barnes is a better prospect than Kuminga then I don't really see how you can justify picking Kuminga with #8.

I mean if this happens it's just the upside argument with Kuminga at #8. I'd get it from that perspective. But I certainly agree that'd be quite the logjam again. 

The other reason for it is simply to snag him and then move him. Undoubtedly, teams behind us see value in taking a huge swing on him. So maybe we take him just to say "OK, we got him -- let's hear some offers."