CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

1 minute ago, fan for too long 2 said:

What’s Ayo’s ranking? I don’t pay the fee. Just curious 

59th. Going by just Peltons stats he'd be 68th. 

50 minutes ago, MagicFanDan said:

With two days until the draft, I’d be interested to hear what everybody’s realistic dream draft would be? 

To prevent the same response, let’s assume trading up isn’t an option.

Barnes and Sengun + FO trades Bamba for another 1st and Kai Jones is drafted. Kai fits the mold of this FO.

ESPN analyst, Mike Schmitz said on Basketball Pro Day televised by ESPN on 7/13, the following on Kai.

" 7'0 tall, 220 lbs, 9'3" standing reach....he moves as well as any big I have evaluated. Shot 38.3% from 3's on his 2nd year at Texas. He was a track star at the Bahamas. "

Watch the video and you will see that he is more athletic and quick than Bamba:

I’m with the “photographer “ on this one. I want shooters/scorers. I want mostly developed players at any age, they are all still young and have plenty of time to get better. I want the guys with a head start in their development. 

potential potential potential 

I DONT WANT TO HEAR IT!!!!! 

14 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

I’m with the “photographer “ on this one. I want shooters/scorers. I want mostly developed players at any age, they are all still young and have plenty of time to get better. I want the guys with a head start in their development. 

potential potential potential 

I DONT WANT TO HEAR IT!!!!! 

Haha, same here!  Been hearing about potential for “too long”!

5 - Suggs - if he isn’t available Barnes

8 - Sengun - if he isn’t available or if we don’t take Suggs, then Bouknight

I know there are only so many minutes to develop our young guys but there are just so many interesting prospects that I wish we had another pick in the teens for a prospect like Zaire or a contributor like Murphy. I don’t expect us to pick at 33 unless it’s a stash unless we trade one of our young guys currently rostered. And I have a hard time seeing that. 

I hear the complaints about shooting and I’m onboard, but I also don’t think we’re going to be a great team by drafting guys with “good starter” ceilings. That works well when you already have a star to build around but won’t take you anywhere without one. And we don’t have one. 

1 hour ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

It is frustrating that so many of us want kids that can't shoot. The game is won by the team that puts the most points on the board, not by kids we hope we can teach to shoot. That is a failed experiment we have been trying to do for years. There are plenty of kids that can already shoot in this draft, lets grab 2-3 of them even if we have to reach for them!

I understand that having a good shooter would help the team, but didn't we think Mario was already a shooter with experience? That didn't end well for us. Whether they are a good shooter or not you have to go with who has the most upside. Yes the game is won by teams who put the most points on the board, however great defense can prevent the other team from out scoring your team. Why draft shooters if they could have no defense. The points scored by them would be empty. Just my though on the matter. I hope we get a gem either way.

2 hours ago, MagicFanDan said:

With two days until the draft, I’d be interested to hear what everybody’s realistic dream draft would be? 

Dream szenario: trade up for Green

2nd: Suggs at 5 and Kuminga at 8

3rd: Kuminga at 5 and Bouknight or Moody at 8

2 hours ago, MagicFanDan said:

My hope is we trade up to 3 for Mobley or Green. If not...

5 - Suggs if he drops (Barnes if not)

8 - Sengun, Moody or Wagner

X (Mid to late first acquired by trading Ross or Bamba) - Duerte

Editing Note - Giddey is getting my attention (shout out to CTMagicUK), but I'm not sold he'd flourish with our roster.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MagicFanDan said:

Thanks everybody for their opinions. I find it interesting to see where everybody’s heads are at prior to the draft. 

As I’ve said previously, I’m going to talk myself into whoever we draft, I’m always optimistic especially when it’s such a strong draft. 

That said, I’m going with the prospects who I think have the most potential upside outside the Top 4 (Cade, Green, Mobley, Suggs). 

5) James Bouknight 
8) Ziaire Williams 

Yes, I'm drafting them higher then their consensus rankings, but I’m a believer that when you identify your prospect get them regardless of where they are listed by the media. Also, don’t get cute with trade backs.  

Plus, we are in the beginning of a rebuilt so the potential upside is worth the gamble. 

Lastly, I trade 33 for future assets unless Bones or Thor are there. 

For me,

BPA at 5 (hopefully one of the top 4 drops, don't really like anyone mooted around the 5 spot) dream for me is moving up to get Green with #5 and future Bulls or Denver pick while still keeping #8

#8 Moody, said from day one that's who I want and not changing now. And for once, I'm not going to talk myself into liking our picks if it's someone I didn't want!