CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

1 hour ago, Mack1085 said:

Can someone make the case for Giddey on our team? His elite skill is passing and he’s got great size. But he’s not a shooter or scorer. He isn’t a crazy athlete. He doesn’t have a killer handle. And he isn’t a good defender. What’s the role people want him to play on this team?

Sam Vecine from The Athletic said he’s probably more Lonzo than Lamelo. 

He's a swing at a 6'8 playmaker. 

This team has pretty below average passing and playmaking from everyone not Fultz and maybe Okeke. 

The handle isn't a big issue for me, big guards often struggle with their handles at young ages and he was a teenager playing against pros for the first time. 

I think he could play 15 mins on an NBA court right now and be solid just with his high feel and competitiveness doing the heavy lifting, but he also has so much attainable development. Every NBA player gets stronger as they develop, because he's so skinny getting stronger might actually improve his athleticism but even if it doesn't added strength will help him on defense and finishing at the rim. His handle tightening up feels very attainable, he's probably never going to be Kyrie with the handle but being 6'8 he can just beat guys with long strides if hes decisive with his handle. The jumper has shown promise and adding strength in his legs will help with the base of the jumper specifically. 

I just struggle to see how a 22 year old Giddey isn't an at least solid NBA player. And that high floor plus the high end outcome potential (that he could be a 6'8 PG who can create high level team offense) is just too tantalising for me..

Here's the Pelton top 30:

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/31890625/nba-draft-2021-ranking-top-30-prospects-based-stats-scouting

Giddey at 5 and ranked 3 by stats only (behind two other international guys Sengun and Garuba). 

Sengun is at 1 overall for Pelton (and also 1 by stats only). 

A lot of my favourite guys show up quite high in the stats only rank (Wagner at 4, Moody at 5)

James Bouknight would be at 62 if going only by Pelton's stats. Scottie Barnes would be 27. 

Kuminga is 7th by stats only (feels like Pelton's stats must rate higher guys who played pro).

I can see why we might have Ziaire high on our board. Similar logic to Cole. But why take him at 8 if other teams don't have him as high? Trade back and get more stuff. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I can see why we might have Ziaire high on our board. Similar logic to Cole. But why take him at 8 if other teams don't have him as high? Trade back and get more stuff. 

You take your guy regardless where you pick if you ask me

51 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

Same hahahahaha lets go!!

Watch us take Moody at 5 and Giddey at 8, but then break CT’s heart by trading him to Memphis for Ziaire lol

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, O_SteveO said:

Watch us take Moody at 5 and Giddey at 8, but then break CT’s heart by trading him to Memphis for Ziaire lol

I can imagine it happening lol.

10 minutes ago, O_SteveO said:

I was thinking about the Zaire and Giddey situation with Memphis hahaha