CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

31 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

Where did you get this from? How would Cole / RJ rank so high on analytics and be drafted so low?? 

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/29335461/2020-nba-draft-projections-ranking-top-30-prospects

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/16235135/explaining-kevin-pelton-nba-draft-projection-system

I think the statistical rankings take in more than just the college data. For example, Pelton says Cole would have been late first ranking statistically if just taking his one year at Carolina. 

2 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

Yahoo Sports latest draft

#5 - Scottie Barnes

#8 - Josh Giddey

#33 - JT Thor

Yeah, I'd be ecstatic if this was the result. 

Somehow a draft that I would be ecstatic about while also being a draft where the 5th pick is my least favourite pick.

• Upvote 1

I'm now realising that even if we do draft Josh Giddey at 8 there'll be a wait for me to celebrate because we could very well pick him and trade him to Memphis if the rumours are true and they do really want him... 

God this draft can't arrive soon enough. 

"The Orlando Magic brought back Stanford's Ziaire Williams for a second workout, and there is some belief from rival teams that he could be the pick at No. 8. Williams' freshman numbers weren't great, but the eye test on his shooting always looked more convincing than the stats. During workouts, Williams has been been able to persuade teams to look past his freshman percentages. Moody is also in play for Orlando at No. 8."

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2946272-2021-nba-draft-buzz-a-swing-for-the-no-1-pick-lottery-movers-and-shakers.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true 

3 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

"The Orlando Magic brought back Stanford's Ziaire Williams for a second workout, and there is some belief from rival teams that he could be the pick at No. 8. Williams' freshman numbers weren't great, but the eye test on his shooting always looked more convincing than the stats. During workouts, Williams has been been able to persuade teams to look past his freshman percentages. Moody is also in play for Orlando at No. 8."

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2946272-2021-nba-draft-buzz-a-swing-for-the-no-1-pick-lottery-movers-and-shakers.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true 

While I like Moody or Williams in a vacuum, I think Giddey has much more upside than either one of them, so I would be disappointed if we picked them. 

12 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I think there is also a school of thought that everyone looks at who you bring in to work out. This could simply be something to throw off the scent of who we’re actually going to pick at #8. 

for instance, let’s say that Memphis is relatively confident that Giddy is going to drop to #10 for them based on whom everyone has brought in for two workouts. This could simply be a game of chess as everyone reports whom works out for what team. 

25 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

I think there is also a school of thought that everyone looks at who you bring in to work out. This could simply be something to throw off the scent of who we’re actually going to pick at #8. 

for instance, let’s say that Memphis is relatively confident that Giddy is going to drop to #10 for them based on whom everyone has brought in for two workouts. This could simply be a game of chess as everyone reports whom works out for what team. 

Yea there's a lot of that kind of stuff. When Milwaukee picked Giannis they had a secret workout with him the night before the draft that didn't get revealed until after the draft. 

It's all just what other front offices are thinking when it comes to us anyway because we leak nothing. We could use that to our advantage.

37 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

We should be swinging for the fences and he’s definitely a homerun swing. I also don’t think we can say it’s fully smokescreen when it’s a second workout but I wonder what they’re doing this time around that they didn’t do last time. 

Our FO has shown that they won’t be scared off a guy because of one bad season in college if there was a lot to like before that year (Cole Anthony). 

1 hour ago, jmmagicfan said:

Yahoo Sports latest draft

#5 - Scottie Barnes

#8 - Josh Giddey

#33 - JT Thor

Yeah, I'd be ecstatic if this was the result. 

Can someone make the case for Giddey on our team? His elite skill is passing and he’s got great size. But he’s not a shooter or scorer. He isn’t a crazy athlete. He doesn’t have a killer handle. And he isn’t a good defender. What’s the role people want him to play on this team?

Sam Vecine from The Athletic said he’s probably more Lonzo than Lamelo. 

6 minutes ago, Mack1085 said:

Can someone make the case for Giddey on our team? His elite skill is passing and he’s got great size. But he’s not a shooter or scorer. He isn’t a crazy athlete. He doesn’t have a killer handle. And he isn’t a good defender. What’s the role people want him to play on this team?

Sam Vecine from The Athletic said he’s probably more Lonzo than Lamelo. 

He's 18, already has elite passing skills, was the 6th best rebounder in the NBL despite playing primarily from the guard position. His defense needs work, but in the game with the Australian team it already looked better. His shooting stroke looks pretty good, and it was improving toward the end of his season. He can potentially play three positions - PG/SG/SF. Oh yeah, his BBIQ is off the charts, and did I mention he's 18?!?