CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

1 hour ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I don’t see how we get in to the top 3 without giving up 5. Consensus 3 days before the draft seems to be this is a draft that has 3 players that are # 1 worthy. Even sounds like the Pistons still don’t know which way they’re gonna go at 1

I think maybe JI and 8 along with a future pick or 2 might get us in the top 3. One can hope at least. Love JI's game but I'd rather have full seasons of someone not quite as good than half a season each year with him.

It’ll be interesting to see what is good intel vs. groupthink as there seems to be a growing top 7 consensus. If they’re right, I’ll be sad to miss out on Bouknight at 8. But I’m actually coming around to Sengun at that spot. I would be surprised if we kept both Bamba and Carter after this season given their contract situations so I think there will be minutes available. He may also be one of the highest upside players left at 8 where the upside isn’t purely theoretical. Our FO definitely anchors on a lot of analytics in the draft so this pick fits the mold even though he’s not a wingspan player. 

A Barnes/Kuminga + Sengun draft would be pretty good in my book. A Suggs + Sengun draft where we pick up another first to get one of the interesting wings in the teens/early twenties would be even better. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

I think maybe JI and 8 along with a future pick or 2 might get us in the top 3. One can hope at least. Love JI's game but I'd rather have full seasons of someone not quite as good than half a season each year with him.

I think JI has all the makings to be a really good player. Just has had some bad health breaks. He's the one player on our roster I say in my mind is "untouchable" unless something truly magical comes along. Great raw athleticism, a coming offensive game, a great, humble head on his shoulders, a real connection with Orlando (very actively involved in his church, family all live in Naples)... I don't think you trade away guys with all of that who WANT to be here. 

Bamba, Markelle, Wendell, Ross, even Cole/Okeke (though I don't think seeing either go this early with so much promise) - all of them are available for a superstar at #3. Cavs I'm sure will hold a King's ransom for this pick though since they know that. 

26 minutes ago, Mack1085 said:

It’ll be interesting to see what is good intel vs. groupthink as there seems to be a growing top 7 consensus. If they’re right, I’ll be sad to miss out on Bouknight at 8. But I’m actually coming around to Sengun at that spot. I would be surprised if we kept both Bamba and Carter after this season given their contract situations so I think there will be minutes available. He may also be one of the highest upside players left at 8 where the upside isn’t purely theoretical. Our FO definitely anchors on a lot of analytics in the draft so this pick fits the mold even though he’s not a wingspan player. 

A Barnes/Kuminga + Sengun draft would be pretty good in my book. A Suggs + Sengun draft where we pick up another first to get one of the interesting wings in the teens/early twenties would be even better. 

I see what you are seen about Bamba....

I think the FO will trade him for another pick and draft: Barnes, Sengun and Kai Jones.

2 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

I think JI has all the makings to be a really good player. Just has had some bad health breaks. He's the one player on our roster I say in my mind is "untouchable" unless something truly magical comes along. Great raw athleticism, a coming offensive game, a great, humble head on his shoulders, a real connection with Orlando (very actively involved in his church, family all live in Naples)... I don't think you trade away guys with all of that who WANT to be here. 

Bamba, Markelle, Wendell, Ross, even Cole/Okeke (though I don't think seeing either go this early with so much promise) - all of them are available for a superstar at #3. Cavs I'm sure will hold a King's ransom for this pick though since they know that. 

I agree JI has all the markings... but unfortunately the injuries I was afraid of when we drafted him have happened every year. He could be the best player in the NBA but having him half a season each year really doesn't help us much. 

On another note I just cruised through 2 google pages of draft projections and no 2 are on the same page with who we are gonna pick. One even has Barnes going at 3 and Suggs dropping to us! Our FO is really good at keeping their cards close to their chests so we won't know until it is already over. I'd still love to see us get Green but as long as we get 2 guys that can already shoot I'll be happy.

1 hour ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Man, I actually can’t believe Detroit would turn this down. I honestly don’t see any team trading out of the top 3 at this point unless it’s some sort of God offer

SGA & 6 IS a GOD offer in my book!

13 minutes ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

SGA & 6 IS a GOD offer in my book!

I think SGA is good, but the belief is Cade can be special - similar to how people viewed LeBron in some ways. 

We all know since that draft, Detroit has has PTSD being in the top 3 for a pick. I’m sure they dont want to screw this up again. #DarkoNightmares 

SAG is borderline all-stars already and will continue to improve at 23...plus 6 which could be Kuminga or Barnes. Can someone develops into someone special in the top 3?(Green, Mobley, Cunningham) maybe, but someone thought joe smith, Krame Brown, Darko, Anthony Bennett we’re special too. I would take that deal and run.

2 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Man, I actually can’t believe Detroit would turn this down. I honestly don’t see any team trading out of the top 3 at this point unless it’s some sort of God offer

If true that's crazy. 

Kevin Pelton’s statistical rankings should come out in the next day or so on ESPN. I don’t think we get pegged as a very analytics-driven FO but if you look at our past drafts with this group it certainly feels like we weight it heavily. And the one time we didn’t looks like the clear draft most of us regret. It’s one of the reasons I think Sengun is really going to be in play for us at 8. I hear he’s at the top of most statistical rankings because of the insane year he had in Europe. 

2020 Draft - Stats Ranking

Cole - 3rd

RJ - 5th

2019 Draft - Stats Ranking

Chuma - 2nd

2018 Draft - Stats Ranking

Bamba - 16th

Carter -43rd

2017 Draft - Stats Ranking

Isaac - 2nd

Fultz - 4th

1 hour ago, Mack1085 said:

Kevin Pelton’s statistical rankings should come out in the next day or so on ESPN. I don’t think we get pegged as a very analytics-driven FO but if you look at our past drafts with this group it certainly feels like we weight it heavily. And the one time we didn’t looks like the clear draft most of us regret. It’s one of the reasons I think Sengun is really going to be in play for us at 8. I hear he’s at the top of most statistical rankings because of the insane year he had in Europe. 

2020 Draft - Stats Ranking

Cole - 3rd

RJ - 5th

2019 Draft - Stats Ranking

Chuma - 2nd

2018 Draft - Stats Ranking

Bamba - 16th

Carter -43rd

2017 Draft - Stats Ranking

Isaac - 2nd

Fultz - 4th

Where did you get this from? How would Cole / RJ rank so high on analytics and be drafted so low??