CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

7 hours ago, O_SteveO said:

That has always been your argument and you’ve consistently given solid reasoning for it, so even though we don’t necessarily agree, I can appreciate where you’re coming from. I was specifically referencing Franchise arguing that both not having Vuc is “sabotaging” our roster, and also if we kept him we would still have lost all of those games and gotten the 5 pick anyway, which is just silly. He either is a valuable player and makes our team better (translating to at least some wins,) or he isn’t, but I don’t see how both can simultaneously be true. 

I understand.  I was not the one advocating to keep Vuch, although I understand that line of thinking also.  Good discussion, +1 from me.  

5 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

John Hammond getting shown some love for picking Giannis...

Yea so... If Hammond wanted to go ahead and prove he's not a one hit wonder and make another all time great draft pick I think I'd be alright with that.. Y'know... Maybe he could even make 2 picks say 5 and 8? We can call it the greatest draft in Magic history 7 years from now when we win a title? Deal? 

Sold :)

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Someone did the work of looking at the latest mocks pre draft since Weltman and Hammond arrived.

It would seem to me that it’s much easier to predict picks near the top than in the middle or end. 

16 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

It would seem to me that it’s much easier to predict picks near the top than in the middle or end. 

Very true but with our last two top picks only 1 of the major outlets had us taking the guy we took which we could attribute to guessing or agent connections. I think it still illustrates that our front office leaks nothing. 

Listening to the radio this morning. Marc Daniels made a good point. Teams like the Magic have to draft a star. You can still get a free agent to come to Orlando, but only if we drafted one first. For all of you talking about drafting a shooter, an 18 year old kid who already has the skills, it doesn't work that way. They guys who we know can shoot are juniors or sr's and those guys don't turn into superstars. The point Marc made on the radio is we have to shoot for the moon.

The kids who are 18-19 have small sample sizes and short highlight videos. Sure a few of them actually had decent shooters stats in college or g league. Some of these guys who shot poorly are going to be superstars, some will be role players who learn to shoot. Some will bust. If the front office decides to take a Kuminga,Barnes,Johnson, or Bouknight it's because we have to hit a home run. Sure we can draft a Kispert,Wagner, or Moody(still hope he is the guy at 8). Those guys probably are not stars. So if we take not just one but two project players, it's because we need to find that diamond in the rough. 

This is the year to take a chance on a Scottie Barnes, or a Sengun. We can always find role players, heck our whole team has been role players for 8 years!

Again if we move up and get Green,Suggs or even a Mobley i would like that better, i just don't see it happening.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2945939-post-nba-finals-mock-draft-2-round-predictions-and-latest-buzz.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

New Wasserman mock has us going:

5. Barnes

8. Kuminga

33. Primo

I like Primo at 33 a lot. He's so young you can stick him in the G League for a season and it could be like adding an extra 1st rounder a year from now. 

Getting both Barnes and Kuminga is very weird considering they're both 3/4s who can't shoot. Doubt we'd do that. I'd love a trade back in that scenario.

46 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Tim Reynolds knows what's up.

Drafting Giddey as Tim Reynolds is implying here seems to be a thought, just a thought, BUT it's not that crazy of an idea.

We have 6 guards (including Markelle) and 2 Forwards....if we pick Barnes and Giddey that balances the roster. 

These 2 are very good ball handlers / playmakers. Both are young (Giddey is just 18) and have the potential to be great players. FO can give it a try and if it doesn't work, tweak. 

15 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2945939-post-nba-finals-mock-draft-2-round-predictions-and-latest-buzz.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

New Wasserman mock has us going:

5. Barnes

8. Kuminga

33. Primo

I like Primo at 33 a lot. He's so young you can stick him in the G League for a season and it could be like adding an extra 1st rounder a year from now. 

Getting both Barnes and Kuminga is very weird considering they're both 3/4s who can't shoot. Doubt we'd do that. I'd love a trade back in that scenario.

If Kuminga is on the board at 8, would you make this trade 

Orlando trades 8 and Gary Harris 

to 

Indy for TJ Warren, 13 and salary filler 

After a great bubble performance, TJ missed most of last year with a foot injury and is in the final year of his contract. 

8 minutes ago, MagicFanDan said:

If Kuminga is on the board at 8, would you make this trade 

Orlando trades 8 and Gary Harris 

to 

Indy for TJ Warren, 13 and salary filler 

After a great bubble performance, TJ missed most of last year with a foot injury and is in the final year of his contract. 

I can't really see that trade making sense for us. I doubt we'd want to resign Warren, we'd just have to trade him down the line or lose him. I'm sure Indy could get positive value for him in a trade. Id rather them flip him for future picks and throw those picks at us. 

Draft a guy who you think will dominate. Not a shooter. Giannis is a career 28% 3 point shooter. Just won a ring dropping 50 with 99% of his shots coming at the rim and free throw.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

I can't really see that trade making sense for us. I doubt we'd want to resign Warren, we'd just have to trade him down the line or lose him. I'm sure Indy could get positive value for him in a trade. Id rather them flip him for future picks and throw those picks at us. 

You’re probably right. I was just thinking the team needed a veteran leadership presence who is capable of creating their own shot. 

We truly are so young and I’m a believer that veteran mentorship can be good for the growth of young players.