CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

On 7/18/2021 at 7:22 PM, JJZFL said:

All young players seem like they have unlimited potential.  I remember some of the very same sentiments 7-8 years ago when Gordon and Fourier and Harris were young.  Players got better elsewhere after leaving the Magic because they had better teams to play with, and sometimes better coaching. 

You cannot fall into the trap of not making moves to better the team because of fear that one or another player that you trade away will become a star.  That is a recipe for stagnation.  There is no reason to believe that the current group of young players (excluding our draft picks, since we don’t know who they will be) will amount to something great or even good.  All options need to be on the table if something good presents itself. 

But an even bigger recipe for disaster is keeping players/getting players who are worse than the ones you trade away.  As far as this roster is concerned can anyway say, with certainty, what we have?  I do not think it is unreasonable to give this team a year to determine who plays better with who, what chemistry works better.  I would like to see these guys play together, we may have a dynamite roster already.  I see an incredible 2nd team in the making.  It will not be done overnight but the talent on this roster (after the draft) is pretty darn impressive.  If we find that "superstar", that guy that will score when needed there are lots of good players we already have around them.  We can and always should consider offers but not one sided offers (unless we are that one side).

1 hour ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

If we would have kept Vuc we would have won too many meaningless games and probably one pick in the 10-15 range and 40-45... and sucked again next year anyway! This FO made the right move IMO!

I can even understand if the argument is that someone would have rather gone that route (though I completely disagree with them,) but we certainly would be picking later than 5. 

17 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

But an even bigger recipe for disaster is keeping players/getting players who are worse than the ones you trade away.  As far as this roster is concerned can anyway say, with certainty, what we have?  I do not think it is unreasonable to give this team a year to determine who plays better with who, what chemistry works better.  I would like to see these guys play together, we may have a dynamite roster already.  I see an incredible 2nd team in the making.  It will not be done overnight but the talent on this roster (after the draft) is pretty darn impressive.  If we find that "superstar", that guy that will score when needed there are lots of good players we already have around them.  We can and always should consider offers but not one sided offers (unless we are that one side).

But how do you determine who is better and who is worse?  Overvaluing what we have now will not help with making moves that could help the team.  

2 minutes ago, O_SteveO said:

I can even understand if the argument is that someone would have rather gone that route (though I completely disagree with them,) but we certainly would be picking later than 5. 

Maybe, maybe not.  But even if we were picking 7 vs 5, the argument is that it’s not better to sacrifice team development by losing a bunch of games for a “meaningless” slight improvement in draft position.  

11 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

Maybe, maybe not.  But even if we were picking 7 vs 5, the argument is that it’s not better to sacrifice team development by losing a bunch of games for a “meaningless” slight improvement in draft position.  

That has always been your argument and you’ve consistently given solid reasoning for it, so even though we don’t necessarily agree, I can appreciate where you’re coming from. I was specifically referencing Franchise arguing that both not having Vuc is “sabotaging” our roster, and also if we kept him we would still have lost all of those games and gotten the 5 pick anyway, which is just silly. He either is a valuable player and makes our team better (translating to at least some wins,) or he isn’t, but I don’t see how both can simultaneously be true. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Originalticketholder said:

iami to be with two other superstars.  LeBron does not win the 2016 tit;le without Kyrie as much as Kyrie does win that title without LeBron so tanking in 2010 to get Kyrie did work.

Whut

12 minutes ago, O_SteveO said:

That has always been your argument and you’ve consistently given solid reasoning for it, so even though we don’t necessarily agree, I can appreciate where you’re coming from. I was specifically referencing Franchise arguing that both not having Vuc is “sabotaging” our roster, and also if we kept him we would still have lost all of those games and gotten the 5 pick anyway, which is just silly. He either is a valuable player and makes our team better (translating to at least some wins,) or he isn’t, but I don’t see how both can simultaneously be true. 

Outside of everything else I am firmly on the train of "as good as Vuc has become, this season is a dumpster fire" and we would have ended up not far from where we ended up anyway.

I know noone asked lol.

Also, agree with you that both of those things can't be true. Doesn't make him not a good player, but he was never going to be transcendent. He may have been the only reason we won a number of games but the games we lost with him, we were thoroughly out matched. Management called time of death.

22 minutes ago, South_Aussie_Magic said:

Outside of everything else I am firmly on the train of "as good as Vuc has become, this season is a dumpster fire" and we would have ended up not far from where we ended up anyway.

I know noone asked lol.

Also, agree with you that both of those things can't be true. Doesn't make him not a good player, but he was never going to be transcendent. He may have been the only reason we won a number of games but the games we lost with him, we were thoroughly out matched. Management called time of death.

Yeah, I’ll admit I had gotten a little attached to him and I really liked where his game had progressed to, but it was probably time to move on. Regardless, we did, so I’m looking forward to seeing a larger sample of what these young guys can do. Cole, RJ, and Chuma having big sophomore seasons would be fantastic. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, O_SteveO said:

Yeah, I’ll admit I had gotten a little attached to him and I really liked where his game had progressed to, but it was probably time to move on. Regardless, we did, so I’m looking forward to seeing a larger sample of what these young guys can do. Cole, RJ, and Chuma having big sophomore seasons would be fantastic. 

That's about the size of it. And it's going to be hard to not get too attached to any of them either. God knows what the construction of our next good team is going to look like.

John Hammond getting shown some love for picking Giannis...

Yea so... If Hammond wanted to go ahead and prove he's not a one hit wonder and make another all time great draft pick I think I'd be alright with that.. Y'know... Maybe he could even make 2 picks say 5 and 8? We can call it the greatest draft in Magic history 7 years from now when we win a title? Deal? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Someone did the work of looking at the latest mocks pre draft since Weltman and Hammond arrived.

Interesting how ESPN had us taking Hampton in 2020 and we end up trading for him. If JI wasn't so fragile he would have been the 2nd great pick by Weltham. Hopefully Chuma becomes that 2nd great pick and this year they make 2 more great ones!