CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

39 minutes ago, Captain said:

Jaden Springer, I think he’ll end up becoming a great NBA player

Agree. 

I like Springer a lot. He's at like 7 or 8 on my board.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, hootie249 said:

Ok let's reset. If the Magic cannot get Cade,Green,Suggs or Mobley which picks are an overdraft but you feel would be great someday? I'm talking guys like Sengun or Duarte or even Jalen Johnson because they are projected later. 

What i mean is who are the players mocked to go higher then 8 that we can pair with whoever we take at 5. A lot of people in this draft are correct, we can't draft for fit, it has to be based on talent. We need players. So let's say we take whoever at 5 has the highest potential. Kuminga or whoever, the consensus highest upside player. 

Your job, pick a player who you think is real good regardless of position or fit, to draft at 8. My example is taking Sengun, others it's Giddey. Still for others it's a Tre Mann or  Duarte.

Seriously disregarding fit on our team or where they are supposed to go in the draft. 

Who you got at 8? Based strictly on your feelings or research not mocked draft position.

I think we would have no business picking Duarte because of his age, but he is an NBA player right now.

Ayo Dosunmu. Averaged 20 in toughest conference 6 rebounds 5 assists. Still growing as a player. Big jump in 3 pt. percentage 39% last year on high volume. Leader and clutch in end game situations. He’s projected in the 20’s and has climbed up the boards lately. I really see zero downside other that his ability to go left. Which I would bet can be fixed a hell of a lot easier than the other abilities that a lot of the top of this draft class has to fix.

people get way to caught up in the potential that they dream up for these guys.
97% of that potential is NEVER realized!!!

the outliers of giannis and kawhi are like lottery tickets. Stop going down that route it is a pipe dream and a absolutely useless endeavor. 

Kuminga should be coming in to impress the magic early next week. So far I know moody, Barnes, Wagner, kuminga, Kispert, jalen Johnson had/will workout by the magic and we had few oversea prospects for the #33. I hope someone pick Barnes and Mobley or Suggs fall and we pick up kuminga with the 8. That would be my ideal draft. I think it would be too costly to trade up most likely will cost us 5&8 and maybe bulls pick in the future. I am happy with our current position and if we can develop the young guys...we will be fine.

12 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

As a hypothetical, ESPN has listed five trades to secure the number one pick. For Orlando, they suggested 5, 8 and Chuma. I love Chuma but would do that in a heartbeat. However, I don’t think there is any way Detroit considers it.

I would hate to lose Chuma, but I would do that deal with Detroit. My question is, would we be better served trading the 5th pick and a player for Green? We need scoring. 

On 7/13/2021 at 11:27 AM, Franchise408 said:

You are simply looking at the players, but you are not looking at the contexts of the teams and their success (or lack thereof)

If a team's goal is to just get a superstar, then I guess the McGrady years were our peak years as a franchise, right?

Getting a superstar is not the goal. Winning a championship is. There are more teams that have won championships with 0 superstars than there are teams that tanked for a superstar and won a championship.

Allen Iverson - 0 championships with Philly

Anthony Davis - 0 championships (or even any post-season success) in New Orleans. NO is in no different a boat now with Zion.

Shaq - 0 championships in Orlando, and his one shot he had he was swept. That also isn't an example of tanking, as the team was an expansion team that was slowly building and acquiring talent through the draft, via Nick Anderson and Dennis Scott. Shaq also didn't get to the Finals with Orlando until they got a fluke 2nd #1 overall pick and turned that into Penny Hardaway. What kind of team was Orlando the year before they started making playoffs? A "medicore" middle of the pack team that had the best record of all non-playoff teams. The team wasn't tanking. They were building.

Magic - The #1 pick was traded for, so Magic was placed alongside an already winning team.

Worthy - Same as Magic

Ayton - Ayton is not the centerpiece of Phoenix's success. In fact, he was considered to be a potential bust until this year. Booker (#13 overall pick) and Chris Paul are the centerpiece of their success. Phoenix's success came from the opposite of tanking.

Embiid - The 76ers tops out at an ECF appearance the year they had Jimmy Butler. If the goal is getting knocked out of the 2nd round, then yes, Philly succeeded by tanking. But I don't think getting knocked out of the 2nd round is the goal.

Literally all of those other guys except McHale and Jordan have a combined 0 championships with the team that drafted them. And like Magic, Boston had acquired another team's top pick to get McHale. They didn't obtain it by tanking.

There are no examples of a team tanking, and using that philosophy to turn around and turn into a champion via that philosophy. Tanking does *not* work. It is a 0% success philosophy. It might bring you a superstar, sure, but you have completely depleted your team of any semblance of talent that there is nothing around that superstar to work with, and they have left to greener pastures by the time you are able to build up anything around them, and then they are gone and the franchise is back at square 1, having made no ground and are right where they were to begin with.

You missed the point, especially the 2nd sentence.  It is pick 1, 2, and 3 that are important since that leads to more NBA titles (superstars if you wish) than any other combination.  It may not be their origninal team but it is their original draft position.  Before FA, this was the norm on how to grow a team and it has not changed much,  So you want to have picks 1, 2, and 3 in your down years.  Our greatest years were not McGrady years but were Dwight Howard (#1 pick) years when we finally put other star players around him.  

BTW we would probably be tied on teams who won with 0 superstars vs teams that won tanking.  I go all the way back to the 1978-1979 NBA champs Seattle Supersonics for the last team with 0 superstars and the 2011 Cleveland (tanking) Cavs (getting Kyrie Irving) and winning a championship (after LeBron comes home before leaving again) in 2016 as a 1-1 tie.  Other than that give me my superstars to win titles. 

My statements are never absolutes but are borne out by the facts.  I am not a fan of tanking but Silver's clown show lottery (for what appears to be PR and self esteem certainly not h fairness) does not deter it, in fact may encourage it worse.  Tanking did in fact work for Cleveland in 2011 (26 losses in a row) helped them get Kyrie Irving and when combined back with LeBron got them a title.  I learned a long time ago never to use the words "No example", 0% success", or "does not work" since all it takes is one example and your argument is shot.

On 7/17/2021 at 1:12 AM, og magic fan said:

Who?  at 5 and 8.  There are no perfect prospects and even when you think there are half of them bust.

There are quite a few that can already shoot but we'd have to reach and not follow the sportswriters' opinions on who we should pick. I like reaching for Kispert at 8, not sure about 5 yet, leaning towards reaching for Mitchell. He can create, shoot, pass, and made Suggs' game really tough in the championship game. Kispert may be the best shooter in the draft and we need shooting badly!

23 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

There are quite a few that can already shoot but we'd have to reach and not follow the sportswriters' opinions on who we should pick. I like reaching for Kispert at 8, not sure about 5 yet, leaning towards reaching for Mitchell. He can create, shoot, pass, and made Suggs game really tough in the championship game. 

Not the biggest fan of your picks but that does not matter.  I like Kuminga and Bouknight but that does not matter either.  It is all speculation and I just hope Weltham who is 1000 times smarter then me makes the right picks:)  I want Orlando to be electric again like it does when the Magic are real contenders.   

2 hours ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

There are quite a few that can already shoot but we'd have to reach and not follow the sportswriters' opinions on who we should pick. I like reaching for Kispert at 8, not sure about 5 yet, leaning towards reaching for Mitchell. He can create, shoot, pass, and made Suggs game really tough in the championship game. 

If we pick Davion + Kispert I might cry (and they would not be happy tears)

Here's a thread of (mostly really encouraging) Giddey plays from the game against Nigeria. You'll actually have to click through to see them as there are too many to put in one post.

It's obviously important to note that the game was a blow out. But Nigeria have still got a lot of NBA and ex NBA players on their roster  (8 current NBA plus at least 2 ex NBA) and an NBA calibre coach. So it's still encouraging I think, he especially played pretty solid defense.