CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

41 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

I laughed at this one. I like Giddy, but I don’t see how he fits with the Magic’s philosophy and current players. 

He probably doesn't fit to be fair and I don't actually think Weltman will draft him. Though Mosley wants to play with pace, space and the pass and Giddey is very good at 2/3 of those already at 18.

I'd also argue nobody on this roster has really proved they're worth fitting with yet. But I actually don't think the fit is bad. I personally think Cole, RJ, Chuma, WCJ, Bamba would all benefit from playing with someone with his vision. Cole in particular I think would benefit from not having to create from nothing for himself all the time.

And in general a 6'8 guy with outlier levels of vision and passing is worth betting on for me.

38 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

This is an old article but fun nonetheless: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2936460-2021-nba-draft-pro-comparisons-for-top-prospects-in-ncaa-tournament

Edit: At this moment, I’d be very happy with Suggs and Wagner (Moody interests me, too).

Edit 2: Did you guys know Barnes played with Moody at Montverde Academy?

Didn’t Cade play with them as well, or am I making that up? I’m more in the Kuminga camp (assuming Suggs doesn’t fall to us,) but lineups with Scottie and Moses could be a lot of fun, even without them already having been teammates. 

51 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Yea. Cade and Day'Ron Sharpe were on that team too. 

According to Kevin O Connor at The Ringer:

"League sources say the Magic are high on Florida State forward Scottie Barnes with the fifth pick, while the Thunder prefer Barnes or UConn guard James Bouknight with the sixth selection."

We never leak stuff like this so it's more likely to be false than true in my opinion.

EDIT: Source: 

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/2021/7/16/22579643/nba-draft-houston-rockets-cade-cunningham-jalen-green-evan-mobley?__twitter_impression=true 

With the draft less than two weeks away, more clarity is emerging about the top of the lottery, writes Kevin O’Connor of The Ringer. The Pistons are reportedly listening to offers involving the No. 1 selection, but league sources say the most likely scenario is that they will keep the pick and take Cade Cunningham. Even if a trade does happen, teams around the league expect Cunningham to be taken first.

The Rockets are leaning toward Jalen Green with the second pick, sources tell O’Connor. Green’s elite athleticism and ability to create his own shot could eventually make him the best player in the draft, O’Connor adds, and rival teams are preparing for him to go to Houston.

Evan Mobley, who ranks higher than Green on many teams’ draft boards, appears to be a good fit for the Cavaliers at No. 3. They may consider a guard if Collin Sexton is traded by draft night, but Mobley makes sense with the current roster. Jalen Suggs appears headed to the Raptors with the fourth pick and would be a young replacement for Kyle Lowry if he leaves in free agency.

O’Connor cites league sources who believe the Magic like Scottie Barnes with the fifth pick, while the Thunder at No. 6 will decide between James Bouknight and Barnes if he’s still on the board. Jonathan Kuminga, who was considered a top five selection early on, isn’t getting much interest from either Orlando or Oklahoma City, O’Connor adds.

worst shooting team in the league, and we'll draft another defensive guy who can't shoot

2 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

This is an old article but fun nonetheless: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2936460-2021-nba-draft-pro-comparisons-for-top-prospects-in-ncaa-tournament

Edit: At this moment, I’d be very happy with Suggs and Wagner (Moody interests me, too).

Cade was in that same team.....

If you believe the rumours there's a world where we end up with Kuminga at 8 if we want him. OKC wants Barnes/Bouknight apparently and GSW want someone who can contribute right away. 

15 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

If you believe the rumours there's a world where we end up with Kuminga at 8 if we want him. OKC wants Barnes/Bouknight apparently and GSW want someone who can contribute right away. 

If Kuminga is there at 8, I assume our phones would be ringing off the hook with trade requests. 

3 minutes ago, MagicFanDan said:

If Kuminga is there at 8, I assume our phones would be ringing off the hook with trade requests. 

I Believe GSW would pick him at 7 if that is the case and trade him for more experienced players.

3 minutes ago, MagicFanDan said:

Personally I'd do it too. If you could get a pick in the 12-15 range and a bunch of future assets. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, 45degree said:

I Believe GSW would pick him at 7 if that is the case and trade him for more experienced players.

This is also very true. It's probably more likely Golden State trade Kuminga at 7 rather than letting him fall to us at 8.