CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

2 hours ago, ML6 said:

I’m not sure I understand why taking Suggs at 5 in this stage of the rebuild means anything at all for the guard group in general. I heard skepticism about taking Suggs at 5 on a podcast this week and I don’t understand it.

We don’t know anything about the long-term feasibility of Markelle, Cole, or RJ at this point. Kelle is coming back from a major injury, Cole could peak as a microwave guy, and RJ has an immense spectrum of outcomes. We are not even close to a point of passing on talent simply because we have other guys who play guard.

If Suggs falls to 5, you draft him and evaluate the players over the coming years to decide who gets extended and who doesn’t. 

Agree

1 hour ago, ML6 said:

If Alperen Sengun is still in the NBA in 5 years I’ll wear his jersey to work for a month straight 

We want pictures for each day.

2 hours ago, ML6 said:

If Alperen Sengun is still in the NBA in 5 years I’ll wear his jersey to work for a month straight 

I'm throwing my hat in the ring next year for this with Chet Holmgren. Not seeing it.

3 hours ago, ML6 said:

I’m not sure I understand why taking Suggs at 5 in this stage of the rebuild means anything at all for the guard group in general. I heard skepticism about taking Suggs at 5 on a podcast this week and I don’t understand it.

We don’t know anything about the long-term feasibility of Markelle, Cole, or RJ at this point. Kelle is coming back from a major injury, Cole could peak as a microwave guy, and RJ has an immense spectrum of outcomes. We are not even close to a point of passing on talent simply because we have other guys who play guard.

If Suggs falls to 5, you draft him and evaluate the players over the coming years to decide who gets extended and who doesn’t. 

Of course it's a possible scenario drafting / keeping Suggs with the other 4 PG's, however I don't see this FO drafting 2 PG's with their top pick in back to back years.

7 hours ago, ML6 said:

This is a risky gambit. Even if he's not a star there's a real solid chance he's like an Enes Kanter bench scoring big. 

I like him. I get the defense concerns but I think he's a top 10 pick. 18 year olds usually aren't this polished and dominant scorers against grown men.

Also 5 years isn't a long time... Most lottery picks make it to a second contract. Even Hezonja had 5 years.

Love Weltman orchestrating the US/Australia exhibition game to be cancelled so that Giddey can't show how good he is against NBA players and we can pick him at 5 or 8. Chess not checkers. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JJZFL said:

Reasonable.  I don’t necessarily agree with the half season tank part but no point in rehashing it, it’s water under the bridge at this point, and I understand your point of view.  Everything else I agree with.  

I know you were not convinced by the half season tank, but we don't have a lot more possibilities at that point, and I hope that such a short time isn't going to derail the mentality of players that should be professional... if it's so easy to install bad habit, they should change their jobs...
Also, as Soul Bro wrote in another topic, the big change could be the coach one, if he's really good as we all hope now. Clifford was surely installing good defensive habits, but offense was unwatchable a lot of times, and the costant green light to players like Ross (and others) was hard to understand honestly.

As you said, is water under the bridge, what we can do now is hope for health and for the right mindest/moves for next season.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Luke_FfS said:

I know you were not convinced by the half season tank, but we don't have a lot more possibilities at that point, and I hope that such a short time isn't going to derail the mentality of players that should be professional... if it's so easy to install bad habit, they should change their jobs...
Also, as Soul Bro wrote in another topic, the big change could be the coach one, if he's really good as we all hope now. Clifford was surely installing good defensive habits, but offense was unwatchable a lot of times, and the costant green light to players like Ross (and others) was hard to understand honestly.

As you said, is water under the bridge, what we can do now is hope for health and for the right mindest/moves for next season.

Absolutely.  I agree the offense has been very difficult to watch quite often.  We would see stretches of good team basketball and then it would quickly revert to over dribbling and one on one chucking (particularly with Ross as you mention).  Very frustrating.  

Going forward, I hope to see improvements there, and a winning attitude brought to every game.  I don’t believe it’s something that can be turned on and off without hindering player development.  Everything I’ve seen/heard about the new coach in the short time since he was announced has been very positive.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Love Weltman orchestrating the US/Australia exhibition game to be cancelled so that Giddey can't show how good he is against NBA players and we can pick him at 5 or 8. Chess not checkers. 

I laughed at this one. I like Giddy, but I don’t see how he fits with the Magic’s philosophy and current players.