CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

Rumours are that Cade and Green are basically guaranteed to be 1 and 2 so any trade up for us that's not with Houston will be for Mobley.

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Rumours are that Cade and Green are basically guaranteed to be 1 and 2 so any trade up for us that's not with Houston will be for Mobley.

Do you think that is something we should be interested in, or are we better off with 5 & 8?

I think Barnes will jump to top 4 and someone will fall to us and I can also see kuminga falling and we can pick him up at 8. Sugg/Kuminga or Green/Kuminga ? we can dream right?

1 hour ago, JJZFL said:

Do you think that is something we should be interested in, or are we better off with 5 & 8?

I personally think Mobley is worth 5 & 8 but it's difficult because I don't think he projects to be a #1 option on a contender. He's more likely to be a defensive star who is good in his role on offense. He's incredibly talented though, he can handle and pass on the move as a legit 7 footer, I think he's got the potential to shoot from 3 as well. 

But then you could suggest Isaac already covers off a lot of that defensive impact if he's healthy (although Mobley + Isaac would possibly be unfair levels of defense which would be fun to see in my opinion) so would we be better off trying to swing for a perimeter creator type at 5 and 8?

It's a tough call. I can understand arguments both ways. I think I'd do it personally.

21 hours ago, Franchise408 said:

Which young guys weren't getting playtime under Cliff?

Mo. That's literally it.

Isaac was a starter. Fultz was a starter. Chuma and Cole were the first players off the bench.

This narrative that Cliff wasn't playing the young guys is just false.

Well, there could also be a narrative that he was playing them because there were no other options due to injuries.
Seasons before, Isaac didn't played a lot even if healthy, Fultz was DJ reserve, and the young guys weren't going to crack the rotations.
But there was always space for 40 minutes of Fournier, even in games he was playing dreadfully! :P

6 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Giddey had 14 points, 4 rebounds and 3 assists against Nigeria in an exhibition yesterday. Also hit a pull up 3. 

If someone gets Barnes before our pick 5....any chance we pick Giddey (somewhat comparable to Cade) and disrupt the draft order?

23 minutes ago, Albert Lergier said:

If someone gets Barnes before our pick 5....any chance we pick Giddey (somewhat comparable to Cade) and disrupt the draft order?

I'd pick Giddey over Barnes anyway. But do I think our FO will pick Giddey at 5? No.

3 hours ago, Nwhermit said:

I think Barnes will jump to top 4 and someone will fall to us and I can also see kuminga falling and we can pick him up at 8. Sugg/Kuminga or Green/Kuminga ? we can dream right?

I don’t think there’s anyway Green falls. If we somehow got Suggs and Kuminga, I might cry lol

14 hours ago, Bebop Meat Mop said:

It's likewise a mistake to not take the benefits of tanking into account and only consider the potential downsides, which the anti-tanking crusaders will happily do.  

I actually agree that the Magic probably should have kept Vuc, but these anti-tanking arguments are getting tiresome.  Would you feel better if people used the word "rebuilding" instead?  

There are plenty of examples to support both sides of the argument, and so much of team success comes down to dumb luck outside of the draft lottery that it's really a waste of time to get all worked up over it. 

There are 0 examples to support tanking. I just laid out, in detail, with facts from over 40 years worth of NBA history, how tanking doesn't work and never has.

Also, you have to be "building" to be able to use the term "rebuilding". Tanking is the opposite of building, it is literally throwing everything away to be intentionally as bad as possible. Tanking is sabotage.

There is a difference between "rebuilding", which is the natural ups and downs of professional sports, and "tanking", which is intentional sabotage of your team to be as bad as possible, with the desired goal and outcome of losing.

So many of the examples of teams who have bounced back through the draft are inaccurate examples of "tanking" because it wasn't done with intent - it was part of the natural course of sports (i.e. when the Magic got Shaq or Dwight)