CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

Yeah i agree. What i expect to happen is some combination of Cade,Mobley,Green goes off the board and Toronto dangles Suggs in front of Weltham. 

Even if Toronto wants to take Suggs, they are definitely going to offer him up and see how much the Magic or OKC wants him. Mostly because they can and should.

So how much do we want him? I'm going to say not worth giving up 8. Possibly worth offering 2022 pick but it would have to be top 8 protected for me to think about it. Not worth the 2023 Bulls pick either to move up one spot.

9 hours ago, og magic fan said:

It is a very good comparison.  Donovan was not top 5 regarded so at 8 we have to find a gem. 

The top 3-5 in this draft is impressive, but I think the best player that comes out of this draft when we look back on it in 7 years will be picked somewhere in the 7-14 range. There is a gem out there, now it is up to Weltman and Co. to find him.

17 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

Yeah i agree. What i expect to happen is some combination of Cade,Mobley,Green goes off the board and Toronto dangles Suggs in front of Weltham. 

Even if Toronto wants to take Suggs, they are definitely going to offer him up and see how much the Magic or OKC wants him. Mostly because they can and should.

So how much do we want him? I'm going to say not worth giving up 8. Possibly worth offering 2022 pick but it would have to be top 8 protected for me to think about it. Not worth the 2023 Bulls pick either to move up one spot.

To be honest I think in that scenario we just stand pat. I don't think Suggs is that much better than the next group that I'd be wanting to give up future picks. OKC might jump us for Suggs but would Toronto want to do that knowing we might take the guy they want? I think that's a situation where a trade doesn't end up happening. Unless Toronto really doesn't have a guy they love and are happy with whoever at 6+. 

22 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

To be honest I think in that scenario we just stand pat. I don't think Suggs is that much better than the next group that I'd be wanting to give up future picks. OKC might jump us for Suggs but would Toronto want to do that knowing we might take the guy they want? I think that's a situation where a trade doesn't end up happening. Unless Toronto really doesn't have a guy they love and are happy with whoever at 6+. 

Would love to see a splash made to move up, but I wouldn't move up for Suggs. If there was a possibility where we could trade w/ Houston or Cleveland up to 2 or 3 then I would like to see that to get a player like Mobley or Green, but might be a little pricey to move up in that range. I see us staying put at 5 and 8. 

6 minutes ago, Albert Lergier said:

Scottie (Pippen - LeBron) Barnes !!!

Scotty Pippen Jr coming out of Vanderbilt. Potential late 1st/2nd rounder in the next couple years. Going into his Junior season this year. Some accolades below from his first two years...

-2021 All-SEC First Team

-2021 Associated Press All-SEC First Team

-2021 NABC All-District First Team

-2020 SEC All-Freshman Team

2 minutes ago, SwishMagic2 said:

Scotty Pippen Jr coming out of Vanderbilt. Potential late 1st/2nd rounder in the next couple years. Going into his Junior season this year. Some accolades below from his first two years...

-2021 All-SEC First Team

-2021 Associated Press All-SEC First Team

-2021 NABC All-District First Team

-2020 SEC All-Freshman Team

He's in this draft. Whether he stays in or goes back to school we'll have to wait and see. He's a 6'1 PG though nothing like his old man. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

He's in this draft. Whether he stays in or goes back to school we'll have to wait and see. He's a 6'1 PG though nothing like his old man. 

His dad grew 7 inches in one summer in college, so have been watching to see any kind of growth spurt since being at Vandy...nothing so far. Above average college basketball player, but potential nowhere near his Hall of Fame father. Interested to see where Pippen Jr will end up whether that be this year or years down the line.

Just now, SwishMagic2 said:

His dad grew 7 inches in one summer in college, so have been watching to see any kind of growth spurt since being at Vandy...nothing so far. Above average college basketball player, but potential nowhere near his Hall of Fame father. Interested to see where Pippen Jr will end up whether that be this year or years down the line.

He'll probably get a chance in the league for his name alone. 

On 6/25/2021 at 9:42 PM, Originalticketholder said:

Tanking will always be apart of the game but it is just different now.  Now you just trade away all your good players or sit your veterans (due to injury--wink..wink) and lose.  Every team knows that pick 1, 2 and 3 increases your odds at getting a star player to get you out of the lottery faster than any other way.  Detroit and Houston are not apologizing for losing all those games.  It does not always work out but percentage wise it is the best move. It worked for Houston and Detroit this year but not for us and OKC.  Even the intro of the Draft lottery called the lottery what it is....."a game of chance."   In a game of chance you do what you have to do to increase your odds of winning.  So, yes, tanking does work just not for every team but only  those that that get lucky.

Tanking doesn't work. If you go through over the past 40+ years, you will see that teams never win the championship with the player that they drafted at #1, 2, or 3

The only exceptions to the rule:

1. Hakeem, after 10 years

2. Duncan, who was drafted onto a team with David Robinson

3. Kyrie, who got paired up with LeBron

4. Jordan, after he got paired up with Scottie

So if you can pair your pick with hall of fame talent, then sure, you can win a championship. But acquiring - or already having - Hall of Fame talent, is literally the opposite of tanking, so again, no, tanking does not work.

On 6/25/2021 at 12:08 PM, og magic fan said:

It worked out pretty well for Detroit.  You say it doesn't work but what is the alternative?  

Oh, they won a championship by tanking?

32 minutes ago, Franchise408 said:

Tanking doesn't work. If you go through over the past 40+ years, you will see that teams never win the championship with the player that they drafted at #1, 2, or 3

The only exceptions to the rule:

1. Hakeem, after 10 years

2. Duncan, who was drafted onto a team with David Robinson

3. Kyrie, who got paired up with LeBron

4. Jordan, after he got paired up with Scottie

So if you can pair your pick with hall of fame talent, then sure, you can win a championship. But acquiring - or already having - Hall of Fame talent, is literally the opposite of tanking, so again, no, tanking does not work.

Well we’re picking 5 and 8 so we should be in good shape