CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

2 hours ago, og magic fan said:

Not that difficult.  Take Kuminga at 5 and Bouknight at 8.  If not available then take Keon Johnson at 8.  Why the Moody love with Magic fans I do not get.  I should not be surprised because many people here thought in 2016 after signing Biyombo and trading for Ibaka that the Magic were going to do this twin tower thing and going to be good.    No basketball acumen at all

Im not even sure Keon Johnson is the best prospect from Tennessee this draft.

1. Most scouts have Gonzaga's Jalen Suggs behind Cunningham, Green and Mobley. One told me had had Suggs in a separate, lower tier, even behind Jonathan Kuminga. It will be interesting to see what the Toronto Raptors do at No. 4, given Kyle Lowry's free agency, Kuminga's perceived upside and the likability factor with Scottie Barnes, who some also believe could crack the top five. 

2. Scouts expect VCU's Nah'Shon "Bones" Hyland to wind up in the first round after he showcased his instant-offense scoring during Thursday's scrimmage. There is a thought that Immanuel Quickley's success as a 6'3" non-point guard makes it easier to picture Hyland succeeding.

3. Auburn's JT Thor is set to work out for the New Orleans Pelicans, Charlotte Hornets and Indiana Pacers, and all indications are he's locked into the first round and climbing.

4. Tennessee's Keon Johnson had everyone talking after his 48" max vertical. But it's starting to sound more like No. 8 is the highest he goes. One scout talked about how Johnson had all this athleticism and energy, but doesn't quite know how to optimize it. Assuming the Golden State Warriors (if they stick at No. 7) are looking for a rookie contributor, it's tough to picture Johnson going before the Orlando Magic's second pick. 

5. I heard contrasting opinions on Jalen Johnson, who left Duke midseason. One scout noted that he's just too talented to downgrade, assuming any red flags detected are mostly tied to immaturity. Another scout didn't have Johnson in the first round, noting both unsatisfying background checks and questions about his ability to beat defenders in the half court. 

6. Baylor's Davion Mitchell "isn't who everyone thinks he is," said a scout who believes the 6'1" guard's defensive upside is overhyped. The scout still expects Mitchell to go in the lottery, but it's worth noting that not everyone has bought in. Another scout I spoke to does have Mitchell in the late-lottery range.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2945346

7 hours ago, Jay Magic said:

It bodes well for me. It means he has a serious chip on his shoulder. And is hungry to prove people who don't believe in him wrong.

He shouldn’t have a chip on his shoulder because of “haters”. He should have one because his game needs a lot of work.

He shot poorly, admittedly lazy on defense,  and showed he turns the ball over against g-league competition. That’s not your critics fault. That’s on you.

2 hours ago, Jay Magic said:

I want Bones too hahaha. I am getting real greedy right now. 

Can't see how we get Bones unless we trade down from 8 or up from 33.

3 minutes ago, og magic fan said:

It makes perfect sense you would think that.  

Oh please enlighten me with what exactly this means. 

14 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

I don't see anyone talking about if Suggs drops, which is a definite possibility. Do you like him at 5?

Yes. I don't think he's an ideal fit with the rest of our young guys by any stretch but I think it's a case of 'don't overthink it'. I mean we could always try to be cute and trade down but that comes with its own set of risks. 

18 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

I don't see anyone talking about if Suggs drops, which is a definite possibility. Do you like him at 5?

Absolutely 

1 hour ago, hootie249 said:

Don't get cute just take BPA at 5