CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

But it's difficult because the odds the 5th or 8th pick turn into as good a player as Siakam isn't super high. So then I'm basically saying I'd rather be bad than good. I guess I'd rather gamble on two shots to find a player as good as or better than Siakam and the flexibility that their age + 8 years of team control allows versus a 27 year old Siakam with 3 years of team control. 

1 hour ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Would yall do 5 & 8 for Siakam? Pretty much what GS is offering

I personally wouldn’t. At best he is a 2nd/3rd option and we don’t have a 1st option so it wouldn’t make any sense. Try to draft or trade for a 1st option and then build a team around them that helps utilise their skills

1 hour ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Would yall do 5 & 8 for Siakam? Pretty much what GS is offering

As young as this team is and as low as the bar is set right now for this upcoming year, I'd let Weltman utilize those two draft picks at 5 and 8 to build upon the core youthful group and let them learn and grow together. Need a more firm foundation in my opinion before we start adding players like Siakam or whoever else in the mix. Just adding Siakam isn't going to take us to the playoffs with this roster anytime soon.

Givonys updated mock at ESPN has us going: 

5. Scottie Barnes

8. James Bouknight

33. Miles McBride

It's weird because I don't hate any of those guys as prospects but I really dislike this draft...

Givony and Schmitz also have Barnes and Bouknight as two of their biggest winners of the combine along with GIDDEY who (although he didn't attend) thry say there's a real buzz about as people ask others for opinions. Think Giddey might end up a top 10 (#8 plz) pick.

I’m also inclined to say no, but Siakam is a legit big that has handles and would be a nice 2nd option if somehow we could make a godfather offer for a disgruntled star

16 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Givonys updated mock at ESPN has us going: 

5. Scottie Barnes

8. James Bouknight

33. Miles McBride

It's weird because I don't hate any of those guys as prospects but I really dislike this draft...

On one hand Scottie Barnes strikes me (and probably all of us) as the next entry in a long line of Orlando Magic "big forward who can't shoot" picks.

On the other hand, his shooting stroke did look MUCH different -- take with a heap of salt, empty gym -- and his energy level really could be infectious.

I like both him and Kuminga fine at 5 if we don't move up, and I don't really see a reason to be significantly higher on Kuminga tbh.

18 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

As a Vanderbilt fan, I watched a lot of Moody throughout SEC play this previous season and was always very impressed. Love his natural feel for the game and would love to see him bring it to Orlando

• Upvote 1

I would be fine with Moody ending up on the Magic but 5 feels like a huge overpay.

5 minutes ago, ML6 said:

On one hand Scottie Barnes strikes me (and probably all of us) as the next entry in a long line of Orlando Magic "big forward who can't shoot" picks.

On the other hand, his shooting stroke did look MUCH different -- take with a heap of salt, empty gym -- and his energy level really could be infectious.

I like both him and Kuminga fine at 5 if we don't move up, and I don't really see a reason to be significantly higher on Kuminga tbh.

Ive had Scottie over Kuminga on my board for a while now. I'm just not really convinced that Scottie is worth a top 5 pick and I'm even less convinced about how he would work on our roster.

James Bouknight apparently played AAU ball with Cole and Bamba. Wouldn't surprise me if he's interested in playing here and hence his agent seems to have gone full court press on the media mocking him to us.