CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

NBA Draft prospect Jonathan Kuminga, a potential top-5 pick, held his pro day Saturday afternoon in front of numerous NBA executives, including members of the Cleveland Cavaliers’ front office, league sources tell cleveland.com.

Kuminga’s workout took place in Chicago, coinciding with the NBA Scouting Combine. This year, various agencies carved out time slots for clients to show off their skills. Kuminga was part of a group with Verus Sport Management -- an Ohio-based agency. General manager Koby Altman and assistant GM Mike Gansey were both in attendance.

A 6-foot-8 forward with a unique blend of size, length, athleticism and skill, Kuminga showed off an improved jumper -- one of the major questions surrounding his draft stock after shooting 38.7% from the field and 24.6% from 3-point range in 13 games with the G League Ignite this past season. Kuminga’s season ended early because of a right knee injury.

“He showed up and shot it well,” said a scout who watched Kuminga’s workout. “He really helped himself today. He won’t fall past No. 5.”

The Cavaliers hold the third pick in the draft. While many believe they will choose from a highly regarded pool of four prospects -- Cade Cunningham (likely the top pick), Evan Mobley (who many believe will go second to Houston), Jalen Green and Jalen Suggs -- the Cavs are expanding their search beyond that quartet. Sources say Kuminga is in the No. 3 mix, with the organization believing that particular draft slot isn’t too high for him.

“He’s a big-time prospect,” an NBA executive said. “An incredible talent who shouldn’t be overlooked.”

As cleveland.com reported Thursday, the Cavs will also bring Kuminga to Cleveland for a private workout at some point next month.

Kuminga is the kind of player the Cavs’ roster currently lacks. He’s a big, powerful wing with two-way potential and versatility to play both forward spots. He’s capable of creating his own shot and has a knack for getting into the paint thanks to his quick-twitch athleticism, off-the-dribble moves and NBA-ready body. While a bit more raw on the offensive end, Kuminga’s immense upside makes him an intriguing option for a team seeking a potential star to build around.

https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2021/06/cleveland-cavaliers-attend-jonathan-kumingas-pro-day-will-host-him-for-private-workout-next-month.html

2 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

I read this more as Cleveland being willing to trade down in to Kuminga range than them considering him at 3, but who knows. Still a long way to go to the draft. There is a version of this (not a likely one, mind you) that has the top 4 being Cade, Mobley, Kuminga, Barnes and we get our choice at 5 of Green/Suggs.

Another thing to look for if the top 4 goes as predicted the whole time is what Golden State would be willing to give up to move up for Barnes. They supposedly love him as a prospect.

After Cade Green is top of my list. We need a guy that can score like that to build around and I think he would mesh well with our young guns. Personally I'd give up whatever picks we need to to move up and lock him up. 5, 8, and 33 works for me if he's available at 3.

3 hours ago, O_SteveO said:

There was this one poster here who really wanted us to take Booker. That said (if I’m thinking of the same guy,) he also posted that he and his son were devastated that we didn’t take Nerlens Noel at #2, wanted Malik Monk over Issac, and was generally convinced that anyone from Kentucky was a can’t-miss stud lol. 

Ball Junkie. Lol

1 hour ago, Justin Jaudon said:

That dude was like a hyperbolic stereotype of a Kentucky fan. Reminded me of my brother-in-law.

He was right more often than not, though it was easier to remember his misses.  I miss the old days of the forum. 

17 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

It seems like the top two are set, and 3-5 could go in any direction.  

I’d say Cade is the only lock at this point. If I were Houston, I’d definitely take Green, but I wouldn’t be shocked if they went with Mobley either. 

50 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

Detroit is never a lock, they drafted Darko. LOL Cleveland drafted Bennett so they aren't a lock either. We could get very lucky at 5 if we don't move up. (fingers crossed)

Neither of them still have the same front office tho right? I wish the same people who drafted Bennett were still calling the shots in Cleveland 

9 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Booker was not the obvious pick in the Hezonja draft. Nobody considered Booker a top 5 pick.

Yeah but we were still reaching with a bunch of unknown quantities there. The biggest things that attracted us were his fearless attitude to playing and his playmaking and the decent athleticism at his height. People said his shooting was better than the numbers and that’s where the argument for us fell apart. We got intoxicated by some great YouTube hype. I’m just saying if we were already reaching and there wasn’t that much ahead of Hezonja it’d be nice if this franchise actually took the guy who was already a reliable shooter for once

On 6/26/2021 at 4:24 PM, KRISH10 said:

Does Scottie Barnes remind anyone else of Giannis, physical tools and the way he plays ? 

If you saw him play...Barnes could be a Scottie Pippen type of player.