CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

24 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

I can admit we probably didn't develop Gordon.

However at this level it's mental. Gordon didn't have it. No confidence in his shot...which looks fine by the way. Also no inside game,post moves...that's on him. Body too skinny, no elite first step to blow by defenders to the rim 

Does Kuminga have that step?

Kuminga is big, fast, athletic,  and physical.   I have a question.  Why do we keep comparing former Magic players and failures to players in this draft?  I understand we don't want to make the same mistakes but these are different players and different circumstances.  

42 minutes ago, og magic fan said:

Kuminga is big, fast, athletic,  and physical.   I have a question.  Why do we keep comparing former Magic players and failures to players in this draft?  I understand we don't want to make the same mistakes but these are different players and different circumstances.  

I think Kuminga could be a lot better at getting to the rim than Gordon. He may also end up being a better overall player, or he may not. That said, I think a lot of people’s fears (mine included,) is that none of these young guys will be in a position to develop or reach their potential without playmakers around them. We sorely need 1.) at least one more shot creator, cause who knows when Fultz will be back, and 2.) shooters to space the floor for good looks. Someone who hasn’t been mentioned much is Harris. If he could play at a respectable level, that could help our offense a lot, but I thought he was awful with us so far. 

33 minutes ago, O_SteveO said:

I think Kuminga could be a lot better at getting to the rim than Gordon. He may also end up being a better overall player, or he may not. That said, I think a lot of people’s fears (mine included,) is that none of these young guys will be in a position to develop or reach their potential without playmakers around them. We sorely need 1.) at least one more shot creator, cause who knows when Fultz will be back, and 2.) shooters to space the floor for good looks. Someone who hasn’t been mentioned much is Harris. If he could play at a respectable level, that could help our offense a lot, but I thought he was awful with us so far. 

Kuminga and either Bouknight or Keon are shot creators.  Get Markelle back healthy to guide these young guys and be his best role as a floor general.  We can all nit pick about this and that but this is a work in progress and will not happen overnight.  Harris is an afterthought to me.  Expiring contract and trade chip at best.  

9 hours ago, Franchise408 said:

I'm a little late, but with Philly getting bounced out in the 2nd round again, and us getting the 5th overall pick, once again we see that tanking is a failed philosophy that should never be intentionally utilized. Tanking doesn't work.

Tanking will always be apart of the game but it is just different now.  Now you just trade away all your good players or sit your veterans (due to injury--wink..wink) and lose.  Every team knows that pick 1, 2 and 3 increases your odds at getting a star player to get you out of the lottery faster than any other way.  Detroit and Houston are not apologizing for losing all those games.  It does not always work out but percentage wise it is the best move. It worked for Houston and Detroit this year but not for us and OKC.  Even the intro of the Draft lottery called the lottery what it is....."a game of chance."   In a game of chance you do what you have to do to increase your odds of winning.  So, yes, tanking does work just not for every team but only  those that that get lucky.

First of all, thanks to all of you guys (especially CTMagicUK) for all the info on the prospects, as my knowledge of college guys is around ZERO.

So, not knowing them, the only thing I would like to add is that from a forum point of view, we can see all the higlights or full games, but what we miss is the inside info about their character, attitude, etc.  Seem like a few of ours young guys haven't improved enough in the past, and could be a problem of the coaching staff as discussed, but what about finding and chosing the guys with the right mindset, and the mentality to work hard everyday to improve and be one of the best? There's the talent, but then a lot of hard work, passion and intensity is needed in the long term to improve and become a great player.
That's the part we can't evaluate, IMO, and that should be a priority before every draft.

I like the idea of having 2 top 10 picks but I think if we miss out on Jalen Green it will be a huge mistake when we look back years from now. I would go all in to get to number 2. 

23 hours ago, Natesroom said:

I afraid Scottie looks like an Aaron Gordon player his college film is very similar. Scottie does look like a more fluid ball handler though, so i think if we add an Aaron Gordon to our core that doesnt think he's Kobe, it might make everyone better.

I think Scottie Barnes looks more like Scottie Pippen than Aaron Gordon or even Draymond Green.....

Multi-positional player with tremendous potential to be a super star because he can play point forward and defend 1-5. Can dominate the game playing PF in the 4 quarter when it counts.

Got to work on his shooting skills.

He is used to play the 6 man role in college. We can bring him off the bench. 

****  When the time comes to play small ball, JI takes the C and Chuma and Barnes the wings. JI defending the paint is awesome. ***

Barnes: 19 yrs, 6'9, 225, 7'3 wingspan, 36" vertical.

I think, Barnes checks most of the boxes and is the player (multi-positional) that makes the most sense to be a Magic.

If one of Green or Suggs falls out of the Top 4, we have to take them. If not, I would take Kuminga. His shot mechanics looks good to me. I am sure his shot will improve. So my picks would be:

Suggs or Green & Wagner (i think Wagner would be great along Isaac)

or 

Kuminga & Moody

Personaly I am not that high on Barnes.

Trae Young getting all the way to the conference finals without being totally exploited on defense has made me even bolder on a guy like Giddey. 

One of Giddey's knocks is he isn't a great perimeter defender but team defense is so much more important and his feel for the game and processing should translate at that end over time. Plus he's 6'8 and will add more strength as he gets older.  

Obviously I'd like to trade up for Green but if we can't do that any outcome where we get Giddey would make me very happy.