CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

3rd overall? If you want Scottie so badly Cleveland let's make a deal.

5 + DEN pick + 33 for 3. 

You get the guy you want and a future 1st. 

We get Jalen Green or Evan Mobley. Everyone's a winner. 

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

3rd overall? If you want Scottie so badly Cleveland let's make a deal.

5 + DEN pick + 33 for 3. 

You get the guy you want and a future 1st. 

We get Jalen Green or Evan Mobley. Everyone's a winner.

If the draft approaches and this Barnes rumor seems true, I wonder if the front office would rather just stay at 5, grab Suggs, and save those other assets.  Would be super interesting to know just how differently they view the first tier of guys relative to each other.

4 minutes ago, ML6 said:

If the draft approaches and this Barnes rumor seems true, I wonder if the front office would rather just stay at 5, grab Suggs, and save those other assets.  Would be super interesting to know just how differently they view the first tier of guys relative to each other.

Yea it's interesting to think about because we can speculate with how we view things but that doesn't necessarily correlate to how the FO sees things. I brought it up yesterday but for all we know Weltman/Hammond could have Kuminga in the top 3 and be delighted if he's there at 5 so would see no need to trade up or would maybe even be interested in trading up to make sure they get him.

Givony saying he thinks there's going to be a bit of a standstill on us trading up because he's not sure 5+8 is worth 3 or 4 for us and equally he's not sure Cleveland or Toronto would do it either. 

(Lowe suggested we have a lot of stuff to trade up if we want)

According to league sources, the Cavaliers have begun to explore trade options involving leading scorer Collin Sexton. Sexton, 22, is extension-eligible this summer, averaged 24.3 points per game last season, and appears likely to seek a maximum contract. Also eligible for an extension is 23-year-old center Jarrett Allen, who is also expected to command a lucrative deal. Cleveland.

There’s belief around the league that Cleveland prefers to move on from Sexton, rather than sign him to a deal that would greatly inhibit their flexibility moving forward.

ANALYSIS: With the Cavs also moving up to No. 3 in the 2021 NBA Draft via the lottery, Woo added that Cleveland could end up selecting another guard with that pick, which would further expedite the process of a potential Collin Sexton trade.

BasketballNews.com's own Matt Babcock also reported that Sexton's "days in Cleveland could be numbered" in his recent article projecting the top-five picks in this year's draft. He also projected that the Cavs would select another guard at No. 3, mocking Jalen Green to Cleveland.

Sexton, who just finished his third season in the league, is coming off a career-year with Cleveland in which he averaged 24.3 points, 4.4 assists, and 3.1 rebounds in 35.3 minutes per game.

https://www.basketballnews.com/stories/report-cavs-could-look-to-move-collin-sexton-this-summer-

This rumor sounds a little more plausible than picking Barnes.  Sexton and Garland are both 6'1, and swapping Green or Suggs for Sexton adds some size to their backcourt.   Also not sure giving a max contract to an undersized 2 is a good idea.

6 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

https://www.basketballnews.com/stories/report-cavs-could-look-to-move-collin-sexton-this-summer-

This rumor sounds a little more plausible than picking Barnes.  Sexton and Garland are both 6'1, and swapping Green or Suggs for Sexton adds some size to their backcourt.   Also not sure giving a max contract to an undersized 2 is a good idea.

Yea. I've seen that. Depends how they value Sexton though versus the rest of the league whether they can get a move like that off the ground. 

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

Yea it's interesting to think about because we can speculate with how we view things but that doesn't necessarily correlate to how the FO sees things. I brought it up yesterday but for all we know Weltman/Hammond could have Kuminga in the top 3 and be delighted if he's there at 5 so would see no need to trade up or would maybe even be interested in trading up to make sure they get him.

Not sure why it can't be done its almost exactly the same as 2018

Luka Doncic-Trae Young trade details

• Mavericks receive: Luka Doncic (No. 3 overall selection in 2018 NBA Draft)
  • Hawks receive: Trae Young (No. 5 overall selection in 2018 NBA Draft); Protected 2019 first-round pick

12 hours ago, J-Mac said:

PG had a similar scouting report coming from college, idk who you would take at 5 but kuminga is the bpa at 5 in my opinion. So until we trade up, kuminga is the player to go with at 5

PG shot the ball better coming out of college. He shot 44% from outside as a freshman and 35% from outside in his second year. He made a huge jump from the free throw line going from 69% to 90%. But I will agree that as a prospect coming out of college he had elements of his game that he needed to fine tune to become a really good player. However, do keep in mind that he was discussed as a later lottery selection and not the fifth overall pick in the draft. Also, there was no need to put too much pressure on George because they had a prime Danny Granger and Roy Hibbert with solid starters built around them where they could slowly ease him into life in the NBA. 

The problem we have is we don't have the same kind of team environment to bring him into. We would need to sign a veteran to start at small forward to allow us to bring Kuminga off the bench and ease him into life in the NBA. Maybe we can bring back Otto Porter at a reasonable rate? I guess we could throw the kid in straight away like the Knicks did with RJ Barrett and just ride the ups and downs, but realistically we would need to be patient with Kuminga while he tries to improve his shooting percentages, iron out his shot selection and play high effort defense consistently. 

Is there anyone else we could take at 5? Not really and that's why I think a lot of Magic fans do feel a bit disgruntled at the minute. Once again we have probably missed out on selecting a franchise changing player and will have to bet on a player reaching their hypothetical upside, which to date hasn't really worked for us in recent years. Personally I am leaning towards trying to trade up or trade out to see if we can pick up a prospect we like in the league that we can bet on, but if we select Kuminga, then I will back him like I would any player on this team.  

The alternative selection would be Scottie Barnes. Now offensively he doesn't offer prolific scoring or high percentage shooting, but he has shown that he can play the point forward role and initiate offense. Defensively he plays hard, can defend the paint and guard pretty much each position. He's got the size and build to be a really good NBA player and could project to be a similar player to Draymond Green. If Barnes ever develops the shooting and scoring side, then that increases his ceiling, but even without that he can be a very good NBA player. Problem for us is that it doesn't fill our need of scoring and shooting, and potentially creates a logjam at PF meaning we might need to look at the future of Isaac and/or Okeke, but that could be the alternative selection for us at 5.

I'm all in on this Scottie Barnes kid. I feel like he would've been our target at 3 had we not dropped in the lottery. This kid is a special talent. Highest upside outside of Cunningham.

It should be noted I've seen questions about Kuminga's intel wise. He went to 3 different high schools in his 3 years of high school basketball and he opted not to play in a G League playoff game in the bubble, Jonathan Givony described it as 'gave up on his team'. 

I afraid Scottie looks like an Aaron Gordon player his college film is very similar. Scottie does look like a more fluid ball handler though, so i think if we add an Aaron Gordon to our core that doesnt think he's Kobe, it might make everyone better.