CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

20 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:
On 6/23/2021 at 7:34 AM, ML6 said:

“I am going to pretend like I didn't read something about Dosunmu being an option at #8 a few pages back.  What he did against Loyola Chicago was an affront to basketball.  James Naismith was looking down regretting ever inventing the game.”

lol that was me and it was one game. He was playing in the toughest conference in college and was the most clutch player in the big ten. Please look at what he was doing before he broke his nose. Thanks

Not getting a high pick (1,2,3) makes this heavy talent draft so interesting for a lot of us....this is fun, my friends.

• Upvote 1

My ideal Mock Draft:

#5: Jalen Green (some way, somehow falling to us w/ Kuminga or someone else sneaking into the top 4)

#8: Davion Mitchell

#33: JT Thor

My realistic Mock Draft:

#5: Jonathan Kuminga

#8: Keon Johnson

#33: Jeremiah Robinson-Earl

Thoughts??

Kevin Love playing 12 games this season and committing to play for Team USA at this years Olympics (lol) might be the push that the Cavs need to dump him with the 3rd pick in the draft... 

Seems like some guys (including Thor!) have got promises. Or at least enough positive feedback that they'll be first round picks. 

If we get to pick 5 and are not sold on Kuminga and Barnes ( I see a case for both but after reading 3-4 different analysis's I am trending to Barnes as the one with a higher ceiling) how is this for wheeling and dealing in a deep draft.  Send pick 5 to OKC for picks 6 and 16 and then send pick 6 to the Warriors for 7 and 14 so we end up with 7, 8, 14, and 16 (two guards at 7 and 8 (two of Mitchell/Moody/Bouknight/Johnson) and BPA at 14 and 16.  Even if we end up in the lottery next year we are now set at guard and next year's lottery is a  heavy forward, light guard draft.  Would take a lot of bluffing and poker face mentality and knowing/speculating OKC's mindset but I see Warriors as the easier sell.

15 hours ago, J-Mac said:

He shot 46% on his twos and his field goal percentage was 39% because of his 3’s. So fixing his shot to where his 3 is respectable will make the game more easier for him. And he doesn’t have a lot to work on defensively, I’m starting to question if you’ve even looked up his scouting videos. He definitely needs to be more discipline on defense, but he doesn’t need “a lot” of work on that end.

people say his floor is Jeff green so I mean I guess

I’ve seen sufficient scouting videos and reports. Like I clearly said, he’s got to work on his effort at the defensive end because at times he coasts and there’s ample evidence in his time in the G-League. If he can continue developing his defensive array of skills AND put in consistent effort, he can be very good, but to date he’s shown inconsistent effort defensively.

The key question here is does he view defense like Jabari Parker (ie “I’m paid to score, they don’t pay players to play defense”), or is he someone that needs the kick up the backside and the right coaching to turn it on? 

Also, shooting has never been a particular strength of Kuminga’s even going back to high school. Now there is a belief that he can develop a consistent shot, but at the same time there is a risk because not every player does. Factor in his poor shot selection, which also goes back to high school, and that’s something that needs to improve.

End of the day you can be a special athlete and still put up 20 points or more in high school or college because you’re the best athlete on the court. In the NBA, that won’t always be the case, and that’s why he needs to develop on both ends and become more consistent with his defensive effort, improve shot selection and develop his shooting. If he can do that, he can be a special talent, but there’s a pretty big drop off if he doesn’t.

13 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

If we get to pick 5 and are not sold on Kuminga and Barnes ( I see a case for both but after reading 3-4 different analysis's I am trending to Barnes as the one with a higher ceiling) how is this for wheeling and dealing in a deep draft.  Send pick 5 to OKC for picks 6 and 16 and then send pick 6 to the Warriors for 7 and 14 so we end up with 7, 8, 14, and 16 (two guards at 7 and 8 (two of Mitchell/Moody/Bouknight/Johnson) and BPA at 14 and 16.  Even if we end up in the lottery next year we are now set at guard and next year's lottery is a  heavy forward, light guard draft.  Would take a lot of bluffing and poker face mentality and knowing/speculating OKC's mindset but I see Warriors as the easier sell.

No way we're bringing 4 first rounders in. 

Rather have future picks than more picks in this draft

2 hours ago, SwishMagic2 said:

My ideal Mock Draft:

#5: Jalen Green (some way, somehow falling to us w/ Kuminga or someone else sneaking into the top 4)

#8: Davion Mitchell

#33: JT Thor

My realistic Mock Draft:

#5: Jonathan Kuminga

#8: Keon Johnson

#33: Jeremiah Robinson-Earl

Thoughts??

That’s reasonable. I don’t even hate Kuminga as a future prospect, I just think he’s a horrible fit on this team, and will puke if we take another guy just outside the top 4 that we learn in year 5 will never be a good shooter. 

3 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:
On 6/23/2021 at 7:34 AM, ML6 said:

“I am going to pretend like I didn't read something about Dosunmu being an option at #8 a few pages back.  What he did against Loyola Chicago was an affront to basketball.  James Naismith was looking down regretting ever inventing the game.”

lol that was me and it was one game. He was playing in the toughest conference in college and was the most clutch player in the big ten. Please look at what he was doing before he broke his nose. Thanks

Just ignore me. I still have a grudge b/c i had 2 great brackets that would've won both pools if not for picking Illinois to win it all.  Losing before the Sweet 16 has given me an unfair negative perception of Ayo that I frankly will probably never shake.

Mike Schmitz has Kuminga at 4 on his big board. Jonathan Givony has him at 5. Kevin Pelton's statistical model has him at 2 which is surprising. 

I truly believe one of Kuminga or Barnes will go top 4. The question then becomes do we really go Suggs at 5? Or do we take the other of Barnes/Kuminga that didn’t sneak in to the top 4?