CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

7 hours ago, og magic fan said:

So what.  Just because Isaac and Gordon didn't that doesn't automatically mean Kuminga won't.  Who else are you drafting at 5 that as you say can shoot and score?

Honestly I’m not sure. That’s why I am so disappointed to fall because there’s no clear prospect to take at five that I would be entirely happy with. At the minute I’m leaning towards us trying to trade up or trading down. 

7 hours ago, J-Mac said:

Idk what you’re expectation is for an 18yr old who doesn’t turn 19 till October. Polished footwork, 40% 3 point threat like bro what? Obviously he needs work but look at what he did against grown men in the G league. He wasn’t playing college ball and plus he was under an nba system already under Brian Shaw. I would enjoy watching the kid

Averages wise he takes 5 three pointers a game and only hits on 25% of them. His other offensive percentages are inefficient as well. Ok, he’s still a kid and those numbers could improve, but there’s a lot of work he’ll need to do to become an efficient scorer, and generally a lot of high volume inefficient scorers can find it hard to improve because they tend to have shot selection problems to overcome as well.

6 hours ago, Babir_9 said:

Kuminga is already more polished than Gordon and Isaac in college. And his jumper looks better as well.

Gordon and Isaac shot better in college than Kuminga did in the G-League and possessed as much upside as Kuminga. His form might look ok, but Kuminga is just so inefficient at this point and that is a concern. If we was drafting him with Chicago’s pick, fair enough, but we aren’t and that’s my problem.

It’s like when people link us to Keon Johnson from Tennessee. He’s got a ton of athleticism and plays tough on the defensive end, however he’s offensively inefficient. Now if Johnson puts it altogether he could be special, but there’s a significant risk that he might note, however if he doesn’t then at least he’s a very athletic and defensively strong player. Kuminga doesn’t contribute as much defensively, so there’s a lot of work to be done on the defensive end and on his shooting.

32 minutes ago, Mike1989 said:

Honestly I’m not sure. That’s why I am so disappointed to fall because there’s no clear prospect to take at five that I would be entirely happy with. At the minute I’m leaning towards us trying to trade up or trading down. 

Averages wise he (Kuminga) takes 5 three pointers a game and only hits on 25% of them. His other offensive percentages are inefficient as well. Ok, he’s still a kid and those numbers could improve, but there’s a lot of work he’ll need to do to become an efficient scorer, and generally a lot of high volume inefficient scorers can find it hard to improve because they tend to have shot selection problems to overcome as well.

Gordon and Isaac shot better in college than Kuminga did in the G-League and possessed as much upside as Kuminga. His form might look ok, but Kuminga is just so inefficient at this point and that is a concern. If we was drafting him with Chicago’s pick, fair enough, but we aren’t and that’s my problem.

It’s like when people link us to Keon Johnson from Tennessee. He’s got a ton of athleticism and plays tough on the defensive end, however he’s offensively inefficient. Now if Johnson puts it altogether he could be special, but there’s a significant risk that he might note, however if he doesn’t then at least he’s a very athletic and defensively strong player. Kuminga doesn’t contribute as much defensively, so there’s a lot of work to be done on the defensive end and on his shooting.

Very well put. This is why I'm not high on Kuminga either. Too much work to do on BOTH ends of the court. Is it possible he gets there and becomes an all-star on either? Maybe. Is it possible he can get there on both? Less likely. 

I wonder if the move to trade up into the top 3 we’re trying is using the 8th pick? We’ve got a few assets we can use to manage that - Mo, Ross, GH, ‘23 Bulls pick, ‘25 Nuggets pick, our picks, he’ll pretty much everything is on the block in my opinion… then we come out of the draft with G League IGNITE teammates Jalen Green and Jonathan Kuminga.. then we name former Magic player and IGNITE Coach Brian Shaw as our next coach.. lets do it!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mike1989 said:

Averages wise he takes 5 three pointers a game and only hits on 25% of them. His other offensive percentages are inefficient as well. Ok, he’s still a kid and those numbers could improve, but there’s a lot of work he’ll need to do to become an efficient scorer, and generally a lot of high volume inefficient scorers can find it hard to improve because they tend to have shot selection problems to overcome as well.

He already has the skill set of creating his own shot. So if he fixes his shot his percentage will go up. I don’t see what will be so hard about him improving.

Just now, s1n1st3r12 said:

So is there any chance that Green falls to us? The only team that need a SG besides us that I can see would be Houston 

I don’t think it’s likely at all. Think we’d need to move up to at least 3 to get Green. What will be really interesting to watch is the offers the Pistons field for Cade. They apparently love Green, so if they could move down to 2 or 3, get assets and still get their guy, I imagine they will

36 minutes ago, J-Mac said:

He already has the skill set of creating his own shot. So if he fixes his shot his percentage will go up. I don’t see what will be so hard about him improving.

The kid is inefficient from outside, inside and from the line. He's got a lot of work to do on his shooting and his shot selection otherwise he will remain inefficient. Fair enough he could probably average 15-20 points a night in a high volume role, but that is no use to a winning team. That's without considering he has a lot of work to do on the defensive end as well, mostly down to his effort, but also some down to technique. 

Obviously there's a lot of upside in Kuminga if he puts everything together, but there's also the risk of a low floor if he doesn't. 

4 minutes ago, s1n1st3r12 said:

So is there any chance that Green falls to us? The only team that need a SG besides us that I can see would be Houston 

Toronto would be in play for him as well with VanVleet at PG, Green SG, Anunoby SF, Siakim PF, and whoever at C. Likewise they could select Suggs and have him and VanVleet in the backcourt together. Essentially I can't see any of the top four prospects getting past Toronto because they can all fit into their existing lineup. 

This should be one of the most exciting drafts in years. I definitely think we will try to move up, but so will Toronto and OKC. Cleveland will do  due diligence, but they could still keep the pick and happily draft either Green or Suggs. It does matter that they have Sexton and Garland, but that won't stop them if they really like one ofbthe guards. 

Toronto and the Magic will be the players, with OKC right behind. I firmly belive both the Cavs and Raptors gm's will try to make a deal with the Magic or Okc. 

Apparently certain teams see Mobley,Cade and Green as their number one guy. Drafts gonna be wild.

22 hours ago, Marc Acres 3:16 said:

It’s been a while but after tonight I felt compelled to come here and vent. I’m tired. I’m tired of the team trying to blow sunshine up our rear ends about how we are moving forward toward the future. We are in no mans land. We have the basketball equivalent of the land of misfit toys. Guards that can’t shoot, forwards that break all the time, a center doesn’t seem to give 2 ***** about trying. Getting absolutely screwed tonight isn’t the problem. The short sighted guy wearing gallons of hair gel set us back years going win now at the dumbest time in the dumbest way. Winning meaningless games year after year to end up one pick away from the impact players has killed us. I can’t take anymore pie in the sky from the mouth pieces for this team. They keep telling us that winning matters and some how the collection of role players we have will magically transform by tasting the playoffs, we are going no where because we pick poorly and we develop poorly. This sucks. 

I'm also tired. I'm tired of hearing Marc Acres complain to me about the sorry state of this team. Then I am forced to say things like, "you can't polish a turd, Marc."

"Get back on the boards," I said. "Use that outlet to vent your anger," I said. 
I never thought he'd actually do it. I can't let him go back in all alone, so dammit, I have to go in with him.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Live or Die Magic said:

I'm also tired. I'm tired of hearing Marc Acres complain to me about the sorry state of this team. Then I am forced to say things like, "you can't polish a turd, Marc."

"Get back on the boards," I said. "Use that outlet to vent your anger," I said. 
I never thought he'd actually do it. I can't let him go back in all alone, so dammit, I have to go in with him.

I can’t believe you guys are back. It’s about time ;)

6 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

I can’t believe you guys are back. It’s about time ;)

I mean, I wouldn't say it's permanent just yet. We never went away exactly, just moved the discussion to a different format. And still been feeling the pain of Magic fandom during the interim.

Still, it is nice to see familiar faces.