CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

4 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

No. Not the same. All rookies have things they got to learn. What I’m saying is Kuminga still doesn’t quite know how to play the game. Those guys you mentioned may have had to learn the NBA a little but “feel for the game” I mean the actual game of basketball. Kuminga is raw. Real raw. 

You’re probably talking about 3-4 years away from even knowing if he’s a rotation guy raw.

You act like he just picked up a basketball in high school. He’s been playing ball since he was 2 or at least that’s what they say. But kid just needs to learn from film and repetition to stop bad habits. When I think of “real raw”I think of a guy like bismack or giannis when they were drafted. Kuminga definitely got some skill sets under his belt.

maybe I’m seeing it wrong but you’re going to have to explain to me what you mean “feel for the game”

22 minutes ago, gobucsmagic said:

True. But sample size is like 15 games also 

True. But he also was never a good shooter in HS or AAU.

3 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I posted an article and a video a few pages back that outline all the areas he needs to improve. Both of them also include extensive coverage of the issues with his jumper. 

Aldridge and Horford were both legit bigs. If you want to get into the Kuminga as a big wing PF discussion I'm here for it because I actually think that's more likely than Kuminga as a shot creating SF. 

Then jaylen brown is another 64% ft 28% 3 in college

6 minutes ago, J-Mac said:

You act like he just picked up a basketball in high school. He’s been playing ball since he was 2 or at least that’s what they say. But kid just needs to learn from film and repetition to stop bad habits. When I think of “real raw”I think of a guy like bismack or giannis when they were drafted. Kuminga definitely got some skill sets under his belt.

maybe I’m seeing it wrong but you’re going to have to explain to me what you mean “feel for the game”

Offensive awareness. Overall basketball IQ. He’s a run and jump athlete. Not much of basketball player there right now. Whoever drafts him has to take 2-3 years just to teach him how to play...basketball.

Look, we literally have no one outside of maybe Cole who can get you some kind of offense. Fultz will be out for a while and even he has question marks on his offense. There’s no way we can continue on this path of getting Bamba like players and teach them how to play. Honestly I don’t think Weltman believes we can either which is why he was visibly frustrated.

3 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

John Wall was one of the best PG prospects in years when he came out. His feel for the game was orders of magnitude greater than Kuminga. Similarly Trae was never knocked for his feel for the game as a prospect. Can't speak to Steph since he was a prospect before my time but I can't really imagine a guy who came into the league and immediately averaged 17 and 6 was knocked for a lack of feel.

I was talking more about they’re weaknesses  that’s scouts said they had in college.

wall-out of control, only knew how to play 100mph, can he play half court basketball. In summer league guy was a T/O machine. But got a feel for the game, and lead the league in assist many years.

Trae- I put him in the list to say he was known for low iq plays or taking ill-advised shots in college, and struggled early in his career where a lot of people was calling him a bust. Got a feel for the game and made an all star appearance and is now in the ecf.

steph- undersized 2 can’t play point guard in the league don’t know how to run an offense. Got a feel and the rest is history.

so honestly idk how good kuminga will be the potential is there, but my point is like a lot of young players like kuminga will need some reps to adjust and get a feel for the game

11 minutes ago, J-Mac said:

Then jaylen brown is another 64% ft 28% 3 in college

Yea Jaylen Brown is  the one that a lot of people point to but Brown has had outlier levels of growth in my opinion. 

Pretty sure the Cavs will trade down, just not sure they'll like our package best.

I'd trade any of the picks for my guy Tyler Herro but the Heat are probably not ready to move on.

8 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

Offensive awareness. Overall basketball IQ. He’s a run and jump athlete. Not much of basketball player there right now. Whoever drafts him has to take 2-3 years just to teach him how to play...basketball.

Look, we literally have no one outside of maybe Cole who can get you some kind of offense. Fultz will be out for a while and even he has question marks on his offense. There’s no way we can continue on this path of getting Bamba like players and teach them how to play. Honestly I don’t think Weltman believes we can either which is why he was visibly frustrated.

I think I get what you’re saying, a bucket getter someone you can give the ball to and he can natural go to work. Is that what you meant?

If that’s the case I kinda agree kuminga is not there yet cause he lacks a consistent jumper. But I do believe he has a skill set to become that player, which like you said could take 2-3 yrs. 

but teaching him how to play basketball is not needed, there’s videos of him sitting with mike Schmitz and going over film where he’s understanding what he could’ve done different in certain plays. His understanding of the game is there, it’s just about learning what you got away with in high school won’t work in the nba and learning from it 

11 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Yea Jaylen Brown is  the one that a lot of people point to but Brown has had outlier levels of growth in my opinion. 

I’m just trying to show it’s possible 

• Like 1

Once again, I watched 20-30 minutes of Kuminga’s highlights….it is so strange some people say he is so raw and he must learn how to play and etc….I saw him finishing in traffic with both hands, driving to the basket and then finishing with the layup after 1-2 pump fakes, driving to the basket then doing a pívot and finishing smoothly, driving and dishing for the wide open dunks after drawing all the defence and etc. some good jumpers and 3pointers and plus he has great size and very athletic…

of course he must improve and work hard but potential is great and he is very far from being completely raw, he can contribute straight away and definitely does not need 3 years to learn how to play…

I do not know maybe he has some work ethic issues, not competitive etc I might not know about it. But just from the last years highlights he looks very intriguing..

28 minutes ago, Babir_9 said:

Once again, I watched 20-30 minutes of Kuminga’s highlights….it is so strange some people say he is so raw and he must learn how to play and etc….I saw him finishing in traffic with both hands, driving to the basket and then finishing with the layup after 1-2 pump fakes, driving to the basket then doing a pívot and finishing smoothly, driving and dishing for the wide open dunks after drawing all the defence and etc. some good jumpers and 3pointers and plus he has great size and very athletic…

of course he must improve and work hard but potential is great and he is very far from being completely raw, he can contribute straight away and definitely does not need 3 years to learn how to play…

I do not know maybe he has some work ethic issues, not competitive etc I might not know about it. But just from the last years highlights he looks very intriguing..

Highlights are literally the highs thats the point. Watch full games. Or I've posted articles and videos that show both highs and lows.