CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

For me its:

1. Hope Green or Suggs falls to 5

2. Trade up for Green or Mobley

3. Use 5 and 8 on whoever's remaining, I was going to post names but you can search back for the guys I like.

Though I struggle to see an ideal path with 5 and 8. Like guys like Barnes and Wagner - and maybe even Moody is in here - would be fine but I struggle to see those guys being real stars and not just like 3rd or 4th best guys on championship teams. Do you just take two huge swings at upside now? Maybe I am ok with punting for the raw upside of Kuminga and praying to the basketball gods that he develops even if I'm sceptical of it happening. I don't know to be honest.

29 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Kuminga + Giddey? 

I could talk myself into that. 

2 guys who aren’t consistent shooters to add to a roster of players who also can’t shoot. No thanks. Still fuming about the lottery so apologies if I am snappy over the next fe days in this forum lol

9 minutes ago, MagicMoses said:

2 guys who aren’t consistent shooters to add to a roster of players who also can’t shoot. No thanks. Still fuming about the lottery so apologies if I am snappy over the next fe days in this forum lol

Yea I feel you to be honest. I don't really like Kuminga I just feel like if he's on the board we'll end up picking him so trying to win myself over in advance. 

We should be only interested to trade with Cavs if Green is still available. If Rockets pick him then we should stay where we are at 5 and 8…

20 minutes ago, Babir_9 said:

We should be only interested to trade with Cavs if Green is still available. If Rockets pick him then we should stay where we are at 5 and 8…

I'd trade 5 and 8 for Evan Mobley in an instant personally but I understand the big long guy fatigue among Magic fans. I just think Mobley is a clear top tier talent.

It’s certainly disappointing that we have fallen outside the top four picks. If we stick with the picks and the top four goes as expected, we are potentially faced with adding yet another lengthy SF/PF prospect with questionable to non-existent outside shooting (Kuminga/Barnes) or selecting prospects that strike me as late lottery picks. 

At the minute I’d say we have to hope that one of the teams in the top four fall in love with someone unexpected like the Bulls did with Patrick Williams last year, or we make a trade of some sort. That could be trading up or trading the picks for a combination of a prospect and picks. 

51 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Yea I feel you to be honest. I don't really like Kuminga I just feel like if he's on the board we'll end up picking him so trying to win myself over in advance. 

I appreciate your optimism haha

• Like 1

Just a quick housekeeping note for people with an eye on the cap:

The #5 pick has a starting salary of around 6.5m

The #8 pick has a starting salary of around 5m

The question is which team from the top four could select someone outside the consensus top four? 

Detroit should take Cade Cunningham and build around him.

Houston are pretty much starting from scratch outside of a few players like Wood, Porter Jr and Martin Jr. I think Mobley would fit in well, but equally Suggs’ point guard skills would work, and Green’s scoring would too.

Cleveland could select Kuminga or Barnes to slot in at PF if they want to build around a Sexton and Garland backcourt, with Allen at centre. That said, Mobley’s sheer upside would be an almost no brainer, Green’s scoring would have appeal, and perhaps even Suggs’ point guard skills would too. 

Toronto has a core of VanVleet, OG and Siakam. The holes for them is at one of the guards or the centre spot, so Suggs and Mobley would be ideal fits. Only time the Suggs selection might not work is if they bring back Lowry, but would that be enough to pass on Suggs? I’m not convinced.

Fingers crossed one of these teams selects a player outside the consensus top four, however I am not convinced that they will. Each of the top four prospects could fit in well on each roster which leaves us with choosing from what’s left and that’s a pretty big drop off.

Have to hope someone above us is crazy for either Kuminga or maybe Scottie Barnes. I doubt it but then I didn't think Pat Will would climb all the way to 4 last draft.

Just take Kuminga. Drafting is about upside, he has the highest upside in draft. We’re rebuilding. It’s a no brainer. I’d take him at 2 behind Cade