CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

18 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

Well put. That is why I might try to re-sign James Ennis, because he plays with the kind of controlled energy, and generally within the team concept. Our young guys can learn from that. Bacon on the other hand, doesn't play with that control, or within a team concept. Is Bacon young enough to learn better? Maybe, but I don't think he's shown the BBIQ it takes. He's like a young gambler, who doesn't yet "know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away ..." I'm on the fence with Wagner and Brazdeikis - they both seem to be more controlled energy (ala Ennis), but I'm not sure if there is sufficient upside on either. I do prefer both of them to Bacon, though. 

I agree on Ennis and I hope we keep him. Don't want to keep Bacon either because personally, I just don't think he plays the kind of basketball that contributes to winning. 

I didn't really see much of Brazdeikis because I zoned out at the end of the season but I like Wagner and I'd be tempted to keep him at least another year. With a guy like Wagner also the development pressure is minimal, it's more 'be an NBA player and fit around our guys or don't and you won't be here' (and in theory the same is true of Brazdeikis I just have less of an opinion on him).

(This got completely into non- Draft talk but team building is all inter connected so it's difficult to stay in one lane when you discuss these things)

53 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

Well put. That is why I might try to re-sign James Ennis, because he plays with the kind of controlled energy, and generally within the team concept. Our young guys can learn from that. Bacon on the other hand, doesn't play with that control, or within a team concept. Is Bacon young enough to learn better? Maybe, but I don't think he's shown the BBIQ it takes. He's like a young gambler, who doesn't yet "know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away ..." I'm on the fence with Wagner and Brazdeikis - they both seem to be more controlled energy (ala Ennis), but I'm not sure if there is sufficient upside on either. I do prefer both of them to Bacon, though. 

FO has to make good use of pick # 33. There is uncovered talent with this pick just like CTMagic explained.

I wouldnt mind keeping Braz, wagenr and ennis as off the bench 10,11,12 players or how occasionally has to start because of game day scratch of a player.

Jettisoning Bacon is the second biggest thing we could do next to the draft.

49 minutes ago, Albert Lergier said:

FO has to make good use of pick # 33. There is uncovered talent with this pick just like CTMagic explained.

I absolutely agree, which is why I up-voted and commented "well put" to CTMagicUK's initial comment. At the very least we should be able to get a guy who can be either a 2-way or G League guy for us.  

8 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

https://theanalyst.com/na/2021/06/2021-nba-draft-prospects-player-comparisons/

I'm just going to keep posting articles and stuff I see that I think are worth a read. Hopefully people find them interesting.

Keep the articles coming! As to this article, as you and I have touched on numerous times, sign me up for Wagner with the Detroit pick.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Keep the articles coming! As to this article, as you and I have touched on numerous times, sign me up for Wagner with the Detroit pick.

Yea it's crazy how Wagner is basically the only one where all 5 guys are impact players.

On 6/10/2021 at 1:45 PM, CTMagicUK said:

Yea it's crazy how Wagner is basically the only one where all 5 guys are impact players.

Hi CTMagicUK,

Can you give us your (4) picks players combinations assuming our first pick falls between 1 &4?

Pick # 1 ---->    Pick # 8 ---->

Pick # 2 ---->    Pick # 8 ---->

Pick # 3 ---->    Pick # 8 ---->

Pick # 4 ---->    Pick # 8 ---->

49 minutes ago, Albert Lergier said:

Hi CTMagicUK,

Can you give us your (4) picks players combinations assuming our first pick falls between 1 &4?

Pick # 1 ---->    Pick # 8 ---->

Pick # 2 ---->    Pick # 8 ---->

Pick # 3 ---->    Pick # 8 ---->

Pick # 4 ---->    Pick # 8 ---->

We might not have 8 either. And it really depends who's available at 1-4 as to who I'd take. There's a world where Jalen Green makes it to 4 but I'd take him 2. 

Here's my top 4:

1. Cade Cunningham

2a. Jalen Green

2b. Evan Mobley 

3. Jalen Suggs

The next few guys on my personal board are this group in some order:

Josh Giddey

Jaden Springer

Alperen Sengun

Franz Wagner 

Moses Moody

Scottie Barnes

I'd generally be happy if we wind up with 2 of those 10 guys. But there are also guys not there that I could talk myself into in the lottery (Jonathan Kuminga, Keon Johnson, Davion Mitchell, Usman Garuba, James Bouknight, JT Thor)

In an ideal world for me we end up with 2 guys from that initial 10. If I had to pair them in who I think compliments each other and our roster the best I'd go something like:

Cade + Moody (the beauty of Cade is he can fit with damn near anybody but I think Moody's off ball scoring and shooting compliments him especially well, Wagner would be good here too)

Green + Giddey (An explosive scoring guard who might thrive better if he's not asked to consistently create for himself with a 6'8 playmaker)

Mobley + Springer (Mobley is the hardest one because he's probably never going to be good enough to be a 1st option on a top contender so ideally you're looking for someone who can get their own offense at a high rate to pair with him. None of the guys in the second group are that really so maybe you punt for Bouknight or someone but I'd take a chance on Springer and lean into just being an absolute nightmarish defensive team while hoping Springer can add some pick and roll craft and shot making that could allow him to hit more of his high end ceiling. Maybe I'd just go Mobley + Giddey as that's BPA to me and try and get scoring later.)

Suggs + Sengun (Suggs is a tougher fit on this roster since he's probably a PG who you don't want to be the focal point of your offense - like a Jrue Holliday maybe - and we already have a bunch of guards. I opted to pair him with the guy I think has the most offensive upside as a scorer of the group but I think in general he fits pretty well with all the guys in group 2 save maybe Springer as they're similar sized and adding 2 guards when we already have at least 3 in our long term plans would be hard. Sengun is divisive among a lot of draft people but I just can't look past an 18 year old being so overwhelmingly dominant as a post scorer in a pro league.)

You maybe didn't expect an essay but I'm super bored and thinking about this a lot haha

• Upvote 2

Cant wait to see this. I want this guy on our roster. Sounds mad but id even consider him 8th pick. He is that good. In my personal opinion 

3 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

We might not have 8 either. And it really depends who's available at 1-4 as to who I'd take. There's a world where Jalen Green makes it to 4 but I'd take him 2. 

Here's my top 4:

1. Cade Cunningham

2a. Jalen Green

2b. Evan Mobley 

3. Jalen Suggs

The next few guys on my personal board are this group in some order:

Josh Giddey

Jaden Springer

Alperen Sengun

Franz Wagner 

Moses Moody

Scottie Barnes

I'd generally be happy if we wind up with 2 of those 10 guys. But there are also guys not there that I could talk myself into in the lottery (Jonathan Kuminga, Keon Johnson, Davion Mitchell, Usman Garuba, James Bouknight, JT Thor)

In an ideal world for me we end up with 2 guys from that initial 10. If I had to pair them in who I think compliments each other and our roster the best I'd go something like:

Cade + Moody (the beauty of Cade is he can fit with damn near anybody but I think Moody's off ball scoring and shooting compliments him especially well, Wagner would be good here too)

Green + Giddey (An explosive scoring guard who might thrive better if he's not asked to consistently create for himself with a 6'8 playmaker)

Mobley + Springer (Mobley is the hardest one because he's probably never going to be good enough to be a 1st option on a top contender so ideally you're looking for someone who can get their own offense at a high rate to pair with him. None of the guys in the second group are that really so maybe you punt for Bouknight or someone but I'd take a chance on Springer and lean into just being an absolute nightmarish defensive team while hoping Springer can add some pick and roll craft and shot making that could allow him to hit more of his high end ceiling. Maybe I'd just go Mobley + Giddey as that's BPA to me and try and get scoring later.)

Suggs + Sengun (Suggs is a tougher fit on this roster since he's probably a PG who you don't want to be the focal point of your offense - like a Jrue Holliday maybe - and we already have a bunch of guards. I opted to pair him with the guy I think has the most offensive upside as a scorer of the group but I think in general he fits pretty well with all the guys in group 2 save maybe Springer as they're similar sized and adding 2 guards when we already have at least 3 in our long term plans would be hard. Sengun is divisive among a lot of draft people but I just can't look past an 18 year old being so overwhelmingly dominant as a post scorer in a pro league.)

You maybe didn't expect an essay but I'm super bored and thinking about this a lot haha

Never get bored talking about the "best" team in Orlando !!!

Of all the combinations I like a lot the Jalen Green and Josh Giddey one.

Of course Cade would be a no brainer if we get the 1st pick. He would add a lot of versatility to the team. Solid player !!!

3 hours ago, Jay Magic said:

Cant wait to see this. I want this guy on our roster. Sounds mad but id even consider him 8th pick. He is that good. In my personal opinion 

Bones Hyland is an absolutely special shooter. Not sure if Orlando is the right place to develop him, because, well, we haven't developed a shooter since JJ, and we legitimately don't seem to know what to do with guys who can shoot... but it's a new day, so hell yeah, bring it on.