CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

It might be too much to wish for but a loss for us and a win for OKC & Detroit puts us back into being tied for 2nd worse.

It's not so much about getting the 1st pick as it is capping how far back we can fall.

18 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

It might be too much to wish for but a loss for us and a win for OKC & Detroit puts us back into being tied for 2nd worse.

It's not so much about getting the 1st pick as it is capping how far back we can fall.

Is there a track record of seventh pick being a lot better than ninth pick?

55 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

Probably depends a lot on how deep the draft is. You should research it!

I see what you did there!

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

Is it possible that Bacon was told to miss shots?

I think he just sucks 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

I think you have to be a pretty good shooter to miss every shot. LOL Even a bad shooter can bank one in by accident.

No player misses shots on purpose. Especially not a player who might be out of the league next year. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

No player misses shots on purpose. Especially not a player who might be out of the league next year. 

Missing shots on purpose would likely fall into the category of intentionally trying to throw a game, which could be illegal, given that people wager on these games.  

Alperen Sengun (at 18 years old) just put up this stat line in a Turkish playoff game: 22 points, 10 rebounds, 8 assists, 4 steals, 2 blocks (he did also have 7 turnovers). 

EDIT: Some highlights:

16 hours ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

Probably depends a lot on how deep the draft is. You should research it!

I don’t need to.  We have recent posts showing that even a top five pick in the past 10 years didn’t lead to a championship unless that pick was also playing with LeBron.  This fixation on a draft miracle for our salvation is terribly misguided.  

3 hours ago, JJZFL said:

I don’t need to.  We have recent posts showing that even a top five pick in the past 10 years didn’t lead to a championship unless that pick was also playing with LeBron.  This fixation on a draft miracle for our salvation is terribly misguided.  

It took LeBron James, at minimum the second greatest player of all time, 9 years to win his first championship.A 10 year timeline hardly seems significant enough given the small sample size we're working with. 

It's the hardest thing in basketball to be the best player on a championship team. Here's the list of guys who have done it in the past like 40 years:

LeBron James (#1 overall pick)

Kawhi Leonard (#15 overall pick)

Kevin Durant (#2 overall pick)

Steph Curry (#7 overall pick)

Tim Duncan (#1 overall pick) 

Dirk Nowitzki (#9 overall pick)

Kobe Bryant (#13 overall pick)

Kevin Garnett (#5 overall pick)

Dwayne Wade (#5 overall pick) 

Chauncey Billups (#3 overall pick) (could also make a case for Ben Wallace who was undrafted, EDIT: probably should be Ben Wallace now I think about it)

Shaq (#1 overall pick)

MJ (#3 overall pick)

Hakeem (#1 overall pick)

Isiah Thomas (#2 overall pick)

Magic (#1 overall pick)

Kareem ( #1 overall pick)

Larry Bird (#6 overall pick - would have been #1 overall if he left college that year but the Celtics picked him #6 and waited a year for him)

Moses Malone (3rd rounder in the ABA in the 70s) 

I'm pretty sure that covers off every championship since 1980. 12 top 5 picks out of 18. 11 if you don't count Chauncey and take Ben Wallace. 13 if you take Chauncey and also account for the only reason Bird didn't go #1 was because the Pacers couldn't convince him to leave college early and the Celtics were smart enough to draft him and wait. Only 2 non lottery picks. Moses in the 80s with Philly and Kawhi in Toronto. Not to mention some of those teams had multiple top draft picks on them (for example Wade doesn't win that chip without Shaq, Magic and Kareem also had Worthy who was a #1 pick, Larry Bird also had Kevin McHale who was a top 5 pick, LeBron had Wade, Bosh, Kyrie, Love and AD who were all top picks etc)

Now I can already hear you thinking 'but half those guys didn't win with the team that drafted them' and that's true but it's also not really the point. Because drafting a superstar gives you 8 or 9 years of team control, minimum. Almost a decade of team control on a superstar is about as good of a head start towards winning a championship as you can get. Especially for a market like ours that doesn't seem likely to attract a superstar in free agency any time soon.