CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

So, 1 will be Houston 2 - 6 could be a tie, but most likely, Minnesota will beat Detroit and wind up 6, with Detroit at 2, and us, OKC and Cleveland in a 3 way tie at 3-5.

41 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

So, 1 will be Houston 2 - 6 could be a tie, but most likely, Minnesota will beat Detroit and wind up 6, with Detroit at 2, and us, OKC and Cleveland in a 3 way tie at 3-5.

in espn league standings, we always appear as the higher positioned team, with okc, cle and min all below us. I know is not alpabetically ordered, so why is that? maybe we are higher because of strenght of schedule or something like that?

Just now, alwaystragic said:

in espn league standings, we always appear as the higher positioned team, with okc, cle and min all below us. I know is not alpabetically ordered, so why is that? maybe we are higher because of strenght of schedule or something like that?

Those standings follow the regular tie-breakers:

Better record in head-to-head games.
Division winner (this criterion is applied regardless of whether the tied teams are in the same division) (obviously not applicable here)
Higher winning percentage within division (if teams are in the same division)
Higher winning percentage in conference games.

Whereas for the lottery they do a random draw or coin flip for any "leftover" once they have split the ball sequences evenly. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

Those standings follow the regular tie-breakers:

Better record in head-to-head games.
Division winner (this criterion is applied regardless of whether the tied teams are in the same division) (obviously not applicable here)
Higher winning percentage within division (if teams are in the same division)
Higher winning percentage in conference games.

Whereas for the lottery they do a random draw or coin flip for any "leftover" once they have split the ball sequences evenly. 

thank you. i guess its stupid from them that they dont even mind to put it in the correct alphabetical order

8 hours ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

In my opinion, you are severely underestimating it. In this draft in particular guaranteed top 5 vs pick 6-10 is huge! I would rather that our lowest possible pick is top 5 but we probably already blew that with meaningless wins. 

If we win tonight we will be 6th worst and probably stay there if the other 5 teams continue to do what we seem to consistently be unable to do. If we lose we are in a 4 way tie for 3rd worst. To me that is huge! We shoulda stayed at 2nd worst when we had it. And please don't tell me we tried to tank. You wanna tank? Start Mo at PG and play the whole game there.

We just see things differently.  I don't see the risk of messing up the development of our young players being worth relatively small changes.  Even 40/1000 extra means you only hit once every 25 years due to the extra ping pong balls.

Minnesota isn't tanking despite their record.  And judging by tonights game, I'd say their prospects for next year look a lot brighter than ours.  Tanking is becoming like a disease, an addiction, an end in itself.  Lose at all costs even for a small benefit, and ignore the cost.

8 hours ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

...... And please don't tell me we tried to tank. You wanna tank? Start Mo at PG and play the whole game there.

Such a move would make us a laughingstock and make our team toxic for the next decade.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JJZFL said:

We just see things differently.  I don't see the risk of messing up the development of our young players being worth relatively small changes.  Even 40/1000 extra means you only hit once every 25 years due to the extra ping pong balls.

Minnesota isn't tanking despite their record.  And judging by tonights game, I'd say their prospects for next year look a lot brighter than ours.  Tanking is becoming like a disease, an addiction, an end in itself.  Lose at all costs even for a small benefit, and ignore the cost.

IMO to develop the young guys the best possible you must put them in a situation where they stand a decent chance of winning. Adding a top 4 draft pick from this year's draft will boost that possibility! We've played our way out of better draft picks several times in recent years. Where did that get us?

6 hours ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

IMO to develop the young guys the best possible you must put them in a situation where they stand a decent chance of winning. Adding a top 4 draft pick from this year's draft will boost that possibility! We've played our way out of better draft picks several times in recent years. Where did that get us?

I would argue that the decision to use a tanking strategy 10 years ago is what started us on this long downward spiral. We’ve drafted relatively high most of the past 10 years and that didn’t help us much either. Many of the players touted in past drafts haven’t turned out to be all that great; certainly not franchise changers.  And many players drafted after we used our picks have been better than what we drafted.  I still think there’s no substitute for committing to the hard work of building a team, as opposed to hoping for a draft miracle.  That includes developing young players that you have, smart trades to get necessary veterans, hopefully getting a break or two in the draft, but never tanking, which confuses the players and sets the wrong expectations.

Anyway I realize we are not going to agree on this but I appreciate the discussion.  I believe most people on here agree with you but I think it’s worth presenting both sides.  

• Upvote 2

The Pistons (20-49) currently rank second in the lottery standings, followed by the Thunder (21-48), then the Magic, Timberwolves, and Cavaliers (all 21-47).

The win column is the key number to watch here, since some of these clubs may not win another game during the season’s final week. So Detroit has a slight leg up on the second spot, but a single Pistons win could really create some chaos.

While all of these teams have fairly challenging remaining schedules, Detroit and Minnesota are the ones to watch. Their schedules are the easiest of the five, per Tankathon, largely because they’ll face one another in Detroit on Tuesday.

The Timberwolves, of course, are the one team in this group not particularly motivated to tank, since their pick will be sent to the Warriors if it’s not in the top three.

When two teams finished with identical records, their lottery odds also become identical (or as close to it as possible). For instance, if two teams tie for No. 4 in the lottery standings, they’d both have an 11.5% chance at the No. 1 pick — the middle ground between 12.5% and 10.5%. The same rules apply in the event of a three-team tie.

In each of those instances, a random tiebreaker determines which team technically places higher in the lottery standings. That tiebreaker determines how far a team can fall in the draft order and sometimes gives a team an extra “ping-pong ball.”

For instance, if three teams finish tied for the No. 4 spot in the lottery standings, the team that wins the tiebreaker would have a 10.7% chance at the top pick and couldn’t fall further than No. 8. The club that loses the three-team tiebreaker would have a 10.6% chance at the No. 1 pick and could fall as far as No. 10.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com

44 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

The Timberwolves, of course, are the one team in this group not particularly motivated to tank, since their pick will be sent to the Warriors if it’s not in the top three.

Okay, my respect for this writer just seriously dropped - they should be extremely motivated to tank so they stay in the bottom 3 and DON'T lose their pick. "Let's win more games, so we fall out of the top 3 and lose our pick" said no one, ever. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, alwaystragic said:

So bottom line for a chance at a Top 4 percentage we need to lose out.