CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

2 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

I’m guessing the reason Springer is so low in mocks is because his release is slow and he supposedly struggled in the pick and roll.

Both of those are fair criticisms. But you can quicken up a release and teach a guy some screen and roll reads especially when he's that young. 

2 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

You’ve now got me curious about Giddey, though I don’t know if he’ll pass the WeltHam two-way test.

Probably not. My argument is he's 6'8 and knows where to be and what rotations to make. He just needs to be more engaged which playing for a coach like Cliff would help a lot probably. He probably won't be a good defender on an island unless he improves athletically (not totally impossible but unlikely) but how many guys are really?  Team defense is more important anyway. 

4 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

(Springer) Both of those are fair criticisms. But you can quicken up a release and teach a guy some screen and roll reads especially when he's that young.

(Giddey) Probably not. My argument is he's 6'8 and knows where to be and what rotations to make. He just needs to be more engaged which playing for a coach like Cliff would help a lot probably. He probably won't be a good defender on an island unless he improves athletically (not totally impossible but unlikely) but how many guys are really?  Team defense is more important anyway. 

I agree with you on both of these, but as I'm looking at our roster going forward it does strike me that after a couple of years being heavy on forwards/centers we may now have swung too far in the opposite direction. Of the 10 guys guaranteed for next season, we have five pg/sg, one sg/sf, two pf/sf, and two centers. There isn't a "true" small forward on the roster yet for next season. Then I look at the draft, and there aren't a lot of small forwards in the projected lottery there either. Kuminga, Kispert, F. Wagner, and (maybe) J. Johnson being arguably the best of the bunch. I'm thinking that if we end up with Cunningham, Suggs, Green, Mitchell, Giddey, Moody, Springer or K. Johnson we will need to make some other moves to balance out this roster. I don't believe in "reaching", I think we should take the BPA pretty much always. If the new guy is better at the position, you either move the current guy to the bench or trade him. 

PG/SG - Fultz, Anthony, Hampton, Carter-Williams, Harris

SG/SF - Ross

SF/PF - Okeke

PF/SF - Isaac

C - Carter, Bamba

This is part of the reason I think we might retain Mo Wagner and one of Porter/Ennis/Brazdeikis. 

43 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

I agree with you on both of these, but as I'm looking at our roster going forward it does strike me that after a couple of years being heavy on forwards/centers we may now have swung too far in the opposite direction. Of the 10 guys guaranteed for next season, we have five pg/sg, one sg/sf, two pf/sf, and two centers. There isn't a "true" small forward on the roster yet for next season. Then I look at the draft, and there aren't a lot of small forwards in the projected lottery there either. Kuminga, Kispert, F. Wagner, and (maybe) J. Johnson being arguably the best of the bunch. I'm thinking that if we end up with Cunningham, Suggs, Green, Mitchell, Giddey, Moody, Springer or K. Johnson we will need to make some other moves to balance out this roster. I don't believe in "reaching", I think we should take the BPA pretty much always. If the new guy is better at the position, you either move the current guy to the bench or trade him. 

PG/SG - Fultz, Anthony, Hampton, Carter-Williams, Harris

SG/SF - Ross

SF/PF - Okeke

PF/SF - Isaac

C - Carter, Bamba

This is part of the reason I think we might retain Mo Wagner and one of Porter/Ennis/Brazdeikis. 

Yea this draft is short on legit 6'7+ "wings". In the lottery it's only really Wagner and Kuminga (and Kispert if you believe he's a lottery pick, maybe Ziaire Williams could sneak into the lotto if he has insane workouts). Saying that there are a bunch of guys that people call "guards" that have the length to play considerable minutes on the wing. Cade is 6'8. Moody is a 6'6 wing with a 7'0 wingspan. He's listed as a SG but he has the size to play both. Giddey will probably spend considerable time at SF in the NBA for defensive reasons. 

MCW, Ross and Harris could all play the 3 in spells with 2 other guards. 

If we keep Bacon he can play SF some.

Okeke can play some SF.

And like you say we'll likely keep one of Porter, Ennis or Brazdeikis (or some combination of the 3 - I hope we keep Ennis personally).

It is a position to keep an eye on because it's the most up in the air and we don't have a seemingly "natural SF" but I think we can figure it out whoever we draft. 

4 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Yea this draft is short on legit 6'7+ "wings". In the lottery it's only really Wagner and Kuminga (and Kispert if you believe he's a lottery pick, maybe Ziaire Williams could sneak into the lotto if he has insane workouts). Saying that there are a bunch of guys that people call "guards" that have the length to play considerable minutes on the wing. Cade is 6'8. Moody is a 6'6 wing with a 7'0 wingspan. He's listed as a SG but he has the size to play both. Giddey will probably spend considerable time at SF in the NBA for defensive reasons. 

MCW, Ross and Harris could all play the 3 in spells with 2 other guards. 

If we keep Bacon he can play SF some.

Okeke can play some SF.

And like you say we'll likely keep one of Porter, Ennis or Brazdeikis (or some combination of the 3 - I hope we keep Ennis personally).

It is a position to keep an eye on because it's the most up in the air and we don't have a seemingly "natural SF" but I think we can figure it out whoever we draft. 

I agree we will figure it out, and Cade, Giddey, or Moody all have sufficient size to play the SF. And of course, MCW, Ross and Harris play it in "3-guard" lineups, and Okeke plays it quite a bit (I actually really like Chuma as a SF). I'm just saying that if we draft another guard (or two) I think it increases the odds of a trade or two to better balance the roster. 

6 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

I agree we will figure it out, and Cade, Giddey, or Moody all have sufficient size to play the SF. And of course, MCW, Ross and Harris play it in "3-guard" lineups, and Okeke plays it quite a bit (I actually really like Chuma as a SF). I'm just saying that if we draft another guard (or two) I think it increases the odds of a trade or two to better balance the roster. 

Yea definitely it starts to get crowded if you draft a PG or a CG. 

Fultz might not be back to start the season though so I guess that'd relieve some of the immediate need to make a trade and we could maybe wait and see until the deadline or next summer. 

26 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Yea definitely it starts to get crowded if you draft a PG or a CG. 

Fultz might not be back to start the season though so I guess that'd relieve some of the immediate need to make a trade and we could maybe wait and see until the deadline or next summer. 

After Fultz interview with Robbins i am hopeful him and Isaac are ready for the start of next season. 

2 hours ago, Jay Magic said:

After Fultz interview with Robbins i am hopeful him and Isaac are ready for the start of next season. 

Fingers crossed. 

31 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

Our recent 2 meaningless wins have allowed Cleveland into the mix. They must be thrilled!

The good news is that we can only meaningless win our way to 6th worst.

In my opinion, you are overestimating the effects of a position or two.

On 5/7/2021 at 3:18 AM, CTMagicUK said:

Very intrigued by Jaden Springer. By my reckoning he's the youngest NCAA prospect in the draft (only international guys are younger that I can find are Giddey and Roko Prkacin, EDIT: Kuminga is also younger). I read recently that he forced a turnover on 26% of possessions where he guarded the ball handler in iso or PnR. That's mad. He also has a great statistical profile, Block and steal %s over 2. Over 40% FT rate. Actually shot well from 3 (on low volume and versatility but it's a good start). 

I think he should be a top 10 prospect in this draft and I'm not sure why people have Keon Johnson so much higher than him. After looking into both of them a little more. 

My top 10 right now is probably something like:

1. Cade

2a. Mobley

2b. Green

4. Suggs

5. Giddey

6. Springer

7. Kuminga

8. Sengun

9. Moody

10a. Barnes

10b. Wagner

It's a deep draft...no question about it.  Hoping like all us that Lady Luck is in our side this year with ping pong ball # 1.

On 5/8/2021 at 9:33 AM, JJZFL said:

Those two meaningless wins have moved us from second worst record to tied for fifth/sixth worst. Depending on ping pong ball luck that means we have gone from a range of 1-6 picks, to a range of 1-9 or 10. (5th worst can end up with 1-9, 6th worst can end up with 1-4, 6-10). The way the lottery works, there are 1000 assigned four-number sequences and one unassigned sequence - the three worst record teams get 140 out of 1001 chance (14%) at the first pick. Team with the fourth worst record gets 125, fifth gets 105, sixth gets 90. If multiple teams have the same record, they split the ball sequences, and any "odd/leftover" sequences are assigned via coin flip. For example, we are currently tied for 5th/6th, so (105+90 = 195) would be 98 ball sequences to the coin flip winner, 97 to the coin flip loser. One more win could potentially move us from tied, down to 6th. That means we have already gone from 140 chances out of 1001, down to 97 or 98, and we could end up with 90 if we win again. So yes, going from 14% chance of the first pick down to 9% does mean a lot. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/8/2021 at 8:33 AM, JJZFL said:

In my opinion, you are severely underestimating it. In this draft in particular guaranteed top 5 vs pick 6-10 is huge! I would rather that our lowest possible pick is top 5 but we probably already blew that with meaningless wins. 

If we win tonight we will be 6th worst and probably stay there if the other 5 teams continue to do what we seem to consistently be unable to do. If we lose we are in a 4 way tie for 3rd worst. To me that is huge! We shoulda stayed at 2nd worst when we had it. And please don't tell me we tried to tank. You wanna tank? Start Mo at PG and play the whole game there.