CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

John Hollinger has a piece in The Athletic today about international guys in this draft. He compares Alperen Sengun, who I've mentioned a couple of times, to Kevin Love and also describes his post game as Kevin McHale-esque. High praise. Still very much intrigued by Sengun if he could be had with the Bulls pick (though he's not at all a Weltman type).

33 minutes ago, alwaystragic said:

I am not sure. espn has us at 4th worst, so I am thinking there is some kind of tiebreaker where we are losing to detroit and minn

Well, right now Minnesota is percentage points behind for sole possession of second because they’ve played one more game than both of us and lost it.

Initially, I thought that the NBA just split all the odds if teams ended tied but I don’t believe that’s correct. I know last year they did a random drawing as a lottery tiebreaker so I’d expect that to be the case again. Regardless, we’re tied in the win column with both of these teams and still play each head to head, so the odds of a 3 way tie aren’t likely 

3 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Well, right now Minnesota is percentage points behind for sole possession of second because they’ve played one more game than both of us and lost it.

Initially, I thought that the NBA just split all the odds if teams ended tied but I don’t believe that’s correct. I know last year they did a random drawing as a lottery tiebreaker so I’d expect that to be the case again. Regardless, we’re tied in the win column with both of these teams and still play each head to head, so the odds of a 3 way tie aren’t likely 

I believe that they split the ping pong balls, with the winner of a random drawing getting the extra, odd ball (if there is one) and the better slot. The loser of the random draw gets the better second round slot; so if we split 3/4 with Detroit, the winner of the drawing gets to be #3 and second round pick #34, the loser of the draw gets #4 and second round pick #33; with the lottery proceeding as usual. 

Brian Shaw’s take (on Jalen Green): “As he says, ‘I’m not backing down from any fades.’ His work ethic -- I’ve been around Kobe when he was young [and] some very good young players like Paul George when I was in Indiana -- and there’s just a certain ‘It’ factor that those guys had when they were Jalen’s age, and he has that. When you couple that with that he’s willing to put in the work, so he has that work ethic, he wants to be the best, he competes everyday in practice, in every drill, just not wanting to lose a sprint to a shooting contest. When you put all that together and get to compete, he has a knack just to figure things out.”

https://www.nbabigboard.com/p/g-league-draft-scouting

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Brian Shaw’s take: “As he says, ‘I’m not backing down from any fades.’ His work ethic -- I’ve been around Kobe when he was young [and] some very good young players like Paul George when I was in Indiana -- and there’s just a certain ‘It’ factor that those guys had when they were Jalen’s age, and he has that. When you couple that with that he’s willing to put in the work, so he has that work ethic, he wants to be the best, he competes everyday in practice, in every drill, just not wanting to lose a sprint to a shooting contest. When you put all that together and get to compete, he has a knack just to figure things out.”

https://www.nbabigboard.com/p/g-league-draft-scouting

Shaw has some very interesting takes on Daishen Nix and Isaiah Todd as well. Takes some reading between the lines, but very interesting. 

It's hard to watch Moses Moody and not think this FO will be really interested in him.  Long wing (alleged 6'6 with 7'0 wingspan), plays defense, can shoot it. Im not sure he'll ever be an all star but could easily see him being a starting wing on good teams for a decade. He also played with Cade in HS so unlike most guys his age has a more natural understanding of what his NBA role will be. 

If you get Cade I think Moody is the most obvious pick with the Bulls pick if he's on the board. If you can get a shot making, defense playing wing who both fits with and is probably friends with your #1 pick you should do it. 

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

It's hard to watch Moses Moody and not think this FO will be really interested in him.  Long wing (alleged 6'6 with 7'0 wingspan), plays defense, can shoot it. Im not sure he'll ever be an all star but could easily see him being a starting wing on good teams for a decade. He also played with Cade in HS so unlike most guys his age has a more natural understanding of what his NBA role will be. 

If you get Cade I think Moody is the most obvious pick with the Bulls pick if he's on the board. If you can get a shot making, defense playing wing who both fits with and is probably friends with your #1 pick you should do it. 

I didn't realize that Cade and Moses played together in HS, good find! If we get the #1 pick, and we are considering Moody, I might actually ask Cade about him. They might be friends, but they also might not have gotten along or been rivals for the spotlight that don't get along at all - doesn't hurt to find out ahead of time. 

18 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

I didn't realize that Cade and Moses played together in HS, good find! If we get the #1 pick, and we are considering Moody, I might actually ask Cade about him. They might be friends, but they also might not have gotten along or been rivals for the spotlight that don't get along at all - doesn't hurt to find out ahead of time. 

Yea that Montverde Academy team is possibly the greatest HS team ever. It had Cade, Moses, Scottie Barnes and Day'Ron Sharpe on it. That's 4 potential first round picks this year and 3 lottery picks. Plus they had Langston Love who's a top 50 recruit this year, Caleb Houstan who's a top 10 recruit this year and Dariq Whitehead who's a top 10 recruit in 2022. 

Cade is possibly the only PG ever to have had a better supporting cast in HS than in college. 

8 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Yea that Montverde Academy team is possibly the greatest HS team ever. It had Cade, Moses, Scottie Barnes and Day'Ron Sharpe on it. That's 4 potential first round picks this year and 3 lottery picks. Plus they had Langston Love who's a top 50 recruit this year, Caleb Houstan who's a top 10 recruit this year and Dariq Whitehead who's a top 10 recruit in 2022. 

Cade is possibly the only PG ever to have had a better supporting cast in HS than in college. 

Yes, that is actually amazing - more of an AAU team than a regular High School team. I just wonder how much internal competition there was, and how that impacted the Cade/Moses dynamic, if it did at all. Certainly something to research if we end up with #1 and Chicago's pick this year. Familiarity/friendship vs. rivalry/clashing - which was it, and how does it impact considering Moses (or Barnes) if available with the Chicago pick. 

6 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

Yes, that is actually amazing - more of an AAU team than a regular High School team. I just wonder how much internal competition there was, and how that impacted the Cade/Moses dynamic, if it did at all. Certainly something to research if we end up with #1 and Chicago's pick this year. Familiarity/friendship vs. rivalry/clashing - which was it, and how does it impact considering Moses (or Barnes) if available with the Chicago pick. 

Can't speak to their actual relationship but a quick Google came up with this quote from Moses: 

'Moody said he spoke with Cunningham earlier this week, though not about basketball. They began talking on a regular basis when both knew they would be playing at Montverde, which they helped lead to a 25-0 record last season.

No doubt they’ll do some talking to each other today.

“It’s a cool matchup, a great game to have on the schedule,” Moody said. “But when it comes down to it, we’re in college now. … It’s more about the win than the matchup.”

Moody said that as a roommate, Cunningham kept things pretty neat. As juniors, he said, they shared a very small room.

“Our beds were like this far away from each other,” Moody said, holding his hands within a foot of each other. “We’d wake up in the morning, and if we happened to look in the same direction it’s like we’d wake up eye to eye.

“For the most part, we stayed out of each other’s way as much as possible. But that was my guy, that was my dog. We were roommates, classmates and teammates, so it was just 24/7.”'

https://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2021/jan/30/former-roommates-opposite-sides-challenge/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CTMagicUK said:

Can't speak to their actual relationship but a quick Google came up with this quote from Moses: 

'Moody said he spoke with Cunningham earlier this week, though not about basketball. They began talking on a regular basis when both knew they would be playing at Montverde, which they helped lead to a 25-0 record last season.

No doubt they’ll do some talking to each other today.

“It’s a cool matchup, a great game to have on the schedule,” Moody said. “But when it comes down to it, we’re in college now. … It’s more about the win than the matchup.”

Moody said that as a roommate, Cunningham kept things pretty neat. As juniors, he said, they shared a very small room.

“Our beds were like this far away from each other,” Moody said, holding his hands within a foot of each other. “We’d wake up in the morning, and if we happened to look in the same direction it’s like we’d wake up eye to eye.

“For the most part, we stayed out of each other’s way as much as possible. But that was my guy, that was my dog. We were roommates, classmates and teammates, so it was just 24/7.”'

https://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2021/jan/30/former-roommates-opposite-sides-challenge/

Sounds promising.