CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

13 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Suggs I'm fine with. Not really bothered about Mitchell in the lottery. I like him as a prospect just not as a lottery one and he has the best nickname I've heard in a long time ('Off night' because when you play him you have an off night) but he's already 22 and I don't believe he's as good a shooter as the senior year numbers look. I honestly think Jared Butler might be a better prospect from Baylor because he's such a good pull up shooter and ball handler. 

I like both Baylor guards. What makes Mitchell special is his two-way play. The guy is a beast defensively. Meanwhile, Butler really reminds me of George Hill.

Edit: The one other thing I’ll add is Mitchell just has that “it” factor that contributes to winning. Worst case scenario I see him being a smaller Marcus Smart. Best case scenario I see him being like Donovan Mitchell.

https://nbadraftroom.com/p/2021-nba-mock-draft/

This site is an easy quick look and up to date. Have no idea of their scouting, just gives you an idea of what each player is at the most basic level.

I wouldn't mind Moody with the second pick, even if we get Green. I'm tired of forwards. Lets get some scoring wings. Cade,Green,Suggs but only if we miss out on the first two. Then Moody, Giddey if we drafted Green or Suggs, Mitchell if we were lucky enough to get Cade already. 

On 4/22/2021 at 10:40 AM, CTMagicUK said:

2nd round guys I'm varying degrees of interested in if possible: 

JT Thor

Ben Mathurin

Both those guys are testing the waters. Think they could be lottery picks in 2022 if they go back and have a big year so I'd honestly promise either at 34 and say we'll give them a 2+1 year deal that totals 4+ mil (similar to Iwundu deal). See if the earlier to free agency + one year extra earning is enough to convince them to come out. 

Jaden Springer is at 28 on ESPN's big board and I think he's a lottery pick talent so if he fell to 34 that'd be insane (really, really doubt it)

Roko Prkacin (also a first round talent in my opinion who ESPN has at 39)

Kessler Edwards

Aaron Henry

Joe Weiskamp

RaiQuan Gray

Sandro Mamukelashvili

Joel Ayayi

And probably more likely to be undrafted but I'd definitely give a shot on a 2 way or an exhibit 10:

Scottie Lewis

Yves Pons

Ben Mathurin is going back to Arizona for his sophomore season. 

Josh Giddey had a triple double yesterday. He'd probably be 5 on my board if I was putting one together... I figured screw it might as well lean into being the Giddey guy. 

The guy who drops out is Kuminga who I'm honestly not sure if I'd have in the top 10... I guess I probably would on potential and the fact that 6'7 guys with his athletic profile often stick in the league at least... I just don't know how I feel about a guy who consistently gets lost on defense, can't currently shoot and has questionable decision making and shot selection. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Josh Giddey had a triple double yesterday. He'd probably be 5 on my board if I was putting one together... I figured screw it might as well lean into being the Giddey guy. 

The guy who drops out is Kuminga who I'm honestly not sure if I'd have in the top 10... I guess I probably would on potential and the fact that 6'7 guys with his athletic profile often stick in the league at least... I just don't know how I feel about a guy who consistently gets lost on defense, can't currently shoot and has questionable decision making and shot selection. 

I'm kind of with you on both of these. I might grab Giddey with the Chicago pick if we don't get Cunningham or Suggs. I might pick him with Suggs anyway, and try to have Giddey play the SF/SG. I think he'll eventually end up in a point-forward type of role, anyway. He might take a year or two, but his growth over the last few months makes me think it will be faster than that. 

Kuminga just doesn't do it for me. He seems like a guy who might get it 5 years from now, but do you want to go through that long a learning curve?

1 hour ago, jmmagicfan said:

I'm kind of with you on both of these. I might grab Giddey with the Chicago pick if we don't get Cunningham or Suggs. I might pick him with Suggs anyway, and try to have Giddey play the SF/SG. I think he'll eventually end up in a point-forward type of role, anyway. He might take a year or two, but his growth over the last few months makes me think it will be faster than that. 

Kuminga just doesn't do it for me. He seems like a guy who might get it 5 years from now, but do you want to go through that long a learning curve?

Yea I think Giddey will probably play the 2 or 3 at least some of the time in the NBA because he hasn't got the lateral quickness to guard the quick PGs in the league. He's probably someone you just have guard the stationary shooter in the corner but can feel confident he won't mess up your team defense (unless he makes a leap athletically). 

With Kuminga I'm also not sure his ceiling is as high as people think. Like he'd have to develop in so many areas to be this two way point forward some people believe he can be. Even if he gets his jumper down, becomes a good team and man defender and improves his decision making on offense he still might be closer to Luol Deng than Kawhi Leonard. (Which to be fair Luol Deng was a 2 time all star and definitely an outcome worth picking in the high lottery but not the franchise changer we're hoping for)

On 4/26/2021 at 12:24 PM, CTMagicUK said:

Yea I think Giddey will probably play the 2 or 3 at least some of the time in the NBA because he hasn't got the lateral quickness to guard the quick PGs in the league. He's probably someone you just have guard the stationary shooter in the corner but can feel confident he won't mess up your team defense (unless he makes a leap athletically). 

With Kuminga I'm also not sure his ceiling is as high as people think. Like he'd have to develop in so many areas to be this two way point forward some people believe he can be. Even if he gets his jumper down, becomes a good team and man defender and improves his decision making on offense he still might be closer to Luol Deng than Kawhi Leonard. (Which to be fair Luol Deng was a 2 time all star and definitely an outcome worth picking in the high lottery but not the franchise changer we're hoping for)

Picking a franchise changer is an extreme long shot.  From my standpoint we look for complimentary pieces to what we have and try to develop these guys properly.  That also includes smart trades and hopefully finding a diamond in the rough or two.  

6 hours ago, JJZFL said:

Picking a franchise changer is an extreme long shot.  From my standpoint we look for complimentary pieces to what we have and try to develop these guys properly.  That also includes smart trades and hopefully finding a diamond in the rough or two.  

This draft may be the best shot we've had at getting 2 in the top 10 that will make a difference. We need some luck with the ping pong balls!

7 hours ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

This draft may be the best shot we've had at getting 2 in the top 10 that will make a difference. We need some luck with the ping pong balls!

That should never be the main strategy for building a team.  

1 hour ago, JJZFL said:

That should never be the main strategy for building a team.  

This season was largely de-railed by injuries to Isaac, and then Fultz. Throw in time lost by Gordon, Fournier, Ross, Ennis, Bamba (post-COVID), Anthony, etc. and it is easy to see why they finally decided it was time to move on. I think Gordon requesting a trade was kind of the last straw. I think the opportunity to rebuild with Harris, Carter, Hampton, and two draft picks in the top 10 was timely; and they jumped on it. 

• Upvote 1

The irony is we were unintentionally tanking WITH Vooch and the other vets. Plus, the culture had turned a bit south with guys like AG asking for a trade. In the end, I don’t think WeltHam chose “tanking” as much as they chose to admit “failure” in the last rebuild. 

• Upvote 1