CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

Last year I think I mentioned how we'd looked at a couple of Mick Cronin coached prospects in the past and it was something to think about as he moved to UCLA where he might more readily have access to NBA talent. 

With that in mind Johnny Juzang with pick 34 wouldn't shock me (if he declares for the draft and doesn't get first round hype after this run). 

I think in a more limited roll he could be a really solid 3 and D wing. His 3P% isn't great in college but his form looks good and he doesn't always take the most open looks. But he's proven he can hit those shots with his feet set and he's hit shots off screens too. (And FT% is a positive indicator for NBA shooting success where he's a 90% guy) He's pretty long and comes from a good defensive coach. He's a bit of a gunner but there are worse things in the world for a team like us who don't have a lot of shooting. 

8 hours ago, TrueMagicFanSince1987 said:

The great thing with the JI and Chuma pairing is that either can play the 3/4 position which means they can play together on the court and the defensive potential of that pairing is going to be scary good. If we pick another PF because that’s BPA I wouldn’t worry about having to find PT to play him because we will have plenty to go around next year once Gary Clark, Khem Birch, Dwayne Bacon, and James Ennis are gone next year. 

In an ideal world that will be the case, but our team does have a tendency to acquire players that take those minutes away. 

My only concern with a front court of Isaac, Okeke and Bamba is can they keep up offensively?

Their defensive potential is excellent, but the offensive end is questionable. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mike1989 said:

In an ideal world that will be the case, but our team does have a tendency to acquire players that take those minutes away. 

My only concern with a front court of Isaac, Okeke and Bamba is can they keep up offensively?

I've said it before and I'll say it again Bamba is a stiff and should either be traded or at least not extended. Give me Green and Moody and let them fight it out for the starting 2. I think both can score and that is what this team needs the most. Oh and Jalen Suggs might just be a winner.

2 hours ago, Mike1989 said:

Yes unfortunately we tend to sign vets to questionable deals that take away those available minutes. So I get your hesitancy with hoping they do the obvious thing. As far as the offense I honestly don’t see us having as much of an issue as people think. Chuma has proven he can be an accurate spot up 3 point shooter right now at the very least and JI was showing flashes of confidence with his offensive game before he got injured. Throw Fultz in the mix who can get to the paint almost at will and I see a lot of open shots for guys who just need to knock them down. I see us playing at a much higher pace next year once we have a healthy squad and that will be able to create easy transition baskets for us as we shut teams down on the defensive end. I don’t see Bamba starting over WCJ anytime soon and can see him keeping up offensively a lot better than Bamba has been able to up to this point. 

13 hours ago, TrueMagicFanSince1987 said:

I don’t see Bamba starting over WCJ anytime soon and can see him keeping up offensively a lot better than Bamba has been able to up to this point. 

I strongly preferred WCJ over Bamba in the draft unless we reached for SGA. Now that we have both it's an easy comparison. Bamba would be the beter player if he could at least be somewhat consistent with his effort. IMO WCJ will be. At least Bamba will be good practice fodder for WCJ. 

11 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Some big changes to the ESPN draft big board. Notables: 

Mobley is 2

Green is 3

Suggs is 5

Wagner is 8

Mitchell is 12

Moody is 21

https://www.espn.com/nba/draft/bestavailable

Surprised by how far Bouknight and Moody have fallen just off the back off 2 or 3 tournament games. Think Springer at 28 is insane. Wouldn't be surprised if he's picked closer to 8 than 28 after workouts etc. 

“JALEN SUGGS - NBA comparison: Jrue Holiday

Rarely do point guards make as big a two-way impact as Jalen Suggs. Any comparison needs to add value defensively, and Jrue Holiday has throughout his career. 

They're also both interchangeable at the guard positions, capable of running offense, facilitating or scoring with the drive or pull-up. And neither is a volume three-point shooter.

They wisely pick their spots offensively while causing problems on defense with their on-ball pressure and off-ball IQ...”

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2936460-2021-nba-draft-pro-comparisons-for-top-prospects-in-ncaa-tournament

6 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

Give me Cade, Green, Suggs or Mobley AND Wagner, and we’d have a new stew brewing in Orlando!

Four rookies?!  That would be the end of poor Clifford.  LOL

11 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

Four rookies?!  That would be the end of poor Clifford.  LOL

It's just 2 rookies. Maybe 3 if we use our 2nd rounder which we might not do now we have 2 1sts. I'd like us to consider stashing a guy rather than trading out of one of the picks though.

Personally give me Cade or Green and Kispert. 

PG: Fultz/Cole/RJ 

SG: Cade or Green/ Ross/ RJ 

SF: Issac/Kispert/ FA vet Min or 2nd Rd

PF: Okeke/Issac/FA vet Min or 2nd Rd

C: Carter/Mo/ FA vet Min of 2nd Rd

I think our future would be bright with this this lineup